Is DCI trying to eliminate the older fans?

Whether or not DCI is purposefuly trying to eliminate older fans is debatable. What I don't think is debatable is that the legacy fans, though maybe not as numerous as the young band kids in the stands, are unfailingly loyal to the activity and regularly make a significant financial contribution. How many 15 year olds can afford the steep costs of tickets to multiple events? How many routinely donate large sums to individual corps? How many sponsor corps members year after year? (My own financial support -- through ticket/merchandise purchases and donations -- totals several thousand dollars each year.) To ignore or even unwillingly alienate these people seems rather foolhardy.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That might be true, however, If I'm Yamaha, and I need to sell electronics, and 90% of the marching bands across the country are using electronics (which is a huge market), then I know I can get some play if the Blue Devils or the Cadets use my product.

It's all about marketing, all about sponsorships. I'm guessing there is a lot of pressure coming from the big corporate sponsors to make these types of changes so they can market these products to their customers. So even though the old farts like you and me might not like it, the market dictates that there is a need for it, and that need is greater within the target demographic than it is outside.

Make sense? They're playing to their target demographic.

except 90% of the bands across America arent using electronics. When you consider the thousands of bands that dont compete alone, that kills that theory. and as judge with a circuit of over 200 bands in the fall, feel pretty safe saying less than 50% of ours use them, and following some other local circuits, i'd say that number is roughly the same in those circuits

except 90% of the bands across America arent using electronics. When you consider the thousands of bands that dont compete alone, that kills that theory. and as judge with a circuit of over 200 bands in the fall, feel pretty safe saying less than 50% of ours use them, and following some other local circuits, i'd say that number is roughly the same in those circuits

The electronics equipment manufacturers don't give two craps about drum corps or band, at least from a sales perspective as a big market. If they did, you'd see the bands that do use electronics using gear that's appropriate to the venue, as opposed to what you do see...bands using whatever was in the closet, or whatever they could cobble together cheap.

Very few bands and corps use the correct gear, and even fewer use gear correctly.

I think drum corps has changed, because the original mission of the founding of every corps prior to lets say 1980 is now obsolete. I also think the concept of touring made that so. In the 40's and 50's drum corps were being founded by American Legion posts, VFW posts, Boy Scouts and churches (among many other places) for the purpose of having local kids participate in an activity that would keep then busy and out of trouble during the summer months. Membership to most corps did not require an audition or substantial fees, just a commitment to be there to be willing to learn and to work hard. Most kids coming into corps could not play a lick. This is not the case today.

Now the overall mission of drum corps has changed. Instead of being local kids of every income level, they are now more affluent kids who have musical talent, and every world class corps save Pioneer has a very stringent audition process. Its not longer about keeping kids out of trouble, its about progressing kids who already have a musical (or in guards case dance) skill set and pushing them into higher levels of achievement.

What I think the older fan does not see is this shift in purpose of drum corps. This shift HAS killed in essence what drum corps used to be, but in my opinion it is replacing it with an overall better product. (that I admit still produces some problems). I think there is still some semblance of tradition left in the corps directors, and I think that the proverbial woodwinds line will not be crossed meaning that there will not be a woodwind player marching in drill in DCI. (However I do believe in the near future woodwinds will have limited use in the pit).

As far as marketing goes, I think DCI doesn't know how to approach the older fan with its newer product, so they just throw nostalgia on them. I too am at a loss on how to approach older fans because not only do I feel the changes are good....I feel them to be necessary.

Yea, except you don't speak for all the fans. You only speak for you. A lot of those fans love what the corps are doing now.

And a lot of us have walked which is why the crowd on finals night is smaller than what the crowd used to be on quarter finals night.

Not to mention a lot of the corps use electronics that are really not built/marketed for outdoor use. Several of the Yamaha corps use the Motif, a top of the line keyboard that really shouldn't be outside 15 hours a day. I think as far as electronics are concerned, the real "motivation" behind DCI making the change is because most of the designers and instructors use them in WGI. While the marching band ratio of uses synths/doesn't use synths might skew in favor of doesn't use (and it's not really debatable, as there are SO many small HS bands who do rah-rah type shows for athletic events and don't compete), the ratio in WGI is nearly 100%, and has been pretty much since the beginning. When the activity is saturated with the same designers/instructors doing both DCI and WGI at the highest levels, the needs and design tendencies will naturally conform.

I'm sorry, in no way did I mean to slam anyone. Troopers have had an amazing comeback. I am totally impressed with the way they presented themselves last year, after taking a year off the field just a few seasons ago. And the show was worlds better than anything they have put on since the early 90's. But unfortunately it was nowhere near top 12 level. It probably should have scored right with Spirit and Crossmen. Unfortunately, it made a storyline close to something on American Idol, and while it would have been a nice story, unfortunately the show on the field wasn't anywhere near deserving of 12th place. I would love nothing more than to see Troopers back in top 12, but only if that placement were justified, and not just trying to create a moment of excitement for the fans. Hopefully this will help them build to the point where maybe they can place top 6 again. And if they get that placement, and deserve it, then I am totally excited for them. But that same respect goes to every corps.

Many believe that they were better than the corps who scored below them. If that wasn't top 12 quality, then the corps below them were also not top 12 quality.

I understand what you're saying, but those were the quality of corps we had last year. I believe that design was an issue for the corps placing below Troop.

It is interesting to hear your point of view!

Many believe that they were better than the corps who scored below them. If that wasn't top 12 quality, then the corps below them were also not top 12 quality.

I understand what you're saying, but those were the quality of corps we had last year. I believe that design was an issue for the corps placing below Troop.

It is interesting to hear your point of view!

It has nothing to do with a set "top 12 quality". I am saying, in comparison to the corps around them, their show was nowhere near the level of Colts. Madison Scouts and Academy should have also placed above them. Yes, their percussion was very good, but unfortunately every other aspect of their show was lower than most of the corps close behind them. I haven't spoken to another director or staff person in the area that felt they should have placed top 12 last year. Most of us would have had them placing right with Spirit and Crossmen, although our opinions of where in that mix were varied. While it would have been nice to see them back in top 12, most of the people I have spoken to felt they got in on the storyline, and not the show on the field. Troopers had a very nice show, and it was such an improvement over recent years past, but really should have placed somewhere between 15th and 17th.

OK, I'm starting to get a little gray - I aged out in 1980.

If DCI wants to add woodwind instruments, by all means go ahead. Be honest and change the name from DCI to MBI - Marching Bands International. If you change to MBI, I personally have zero interest in the future of the activity, attending shows, or spending my $ with your organization or any of the marching bands.

I'm going to do an Obama here and not take the time to read all the stuff about the G7 model, but drop it entirely. DCI/MBI should be focusing on having all the bands support each other and not separating them into more classes of the good and the really good.

In the end, if you want to become MBI, just be honest and show consideration to the decades of those who have been here before. Change the name.

One other thought, if DCI decides to go the MBI route and has the courage to change the name accordingly, the bands should also have the courage and decency to leave their names with the former DCI and change their names for MBI. The last think I would want to think of is the Madison Scouts as a band or the Vanguard as a band. If you want to go the MBI route, leave the heritage of the name with drum corps and show some consideration to your ancestry.