Pre-show? What the heck does that mean?

Maybe I'm just getting old but what the heck is a "pre-show" and why are people freaking out about having woodwinds in a pre-show? This doesn't have anything to do with the 11 and a half minute program, does it?

It's what goes on before the 11-1/2 minute judged program begins. It's everything from walking on the field, to on-field warm-up, and whatever else a corps chooses to do before "Corps X, you may enter the field..." or whatever the announcement de jour is.

Pre-shows have been going on for many, many years... just without the fancy term.

some corps have a segment of show before the judged portion. This rule just clarifies that WW can be used as long as it's not during the judged portion of the show. So it's just clarifying something that was already in place

It is the part of the show where the corps enters the field, but before the announcer announces them. Often times, a corps will start their show, but like, the announcer wont announce them until the first impact. Everything before that is still the preshow, and isn't judged. Of course, there are various other uses of this part of the show, and every corps does it differently.

It is the part of the show where the corps enters the field, but before the announcer announces them. Often times, a corps will start their show, but like, the announcer wont announce them until the first impact. Everything before that is still the preshow, and isn't judged. Of course, there are various other uses of this part of the show, and every corps does it differently.

So the opposite of what it used to be, when nothing after the gunshots were judged?

So the opposite of what it used to be, when nothing after the gunshots were judged?

No. The old guns (there were two) signified different things. The first one, the starting gun, started the judged portion of the show, usually the first note or movement following "You may enter the field". The second gun, which went off towards the end of the program, signified the end of execution judging. Effect was still judged to the end of the program.

(Super-oldies please correct me if I get the details wrong)

Maybe I'm just getting old but what the heck is a "pre-show" and why are people freaking out about having woodwinds in a pre-show? This doesn't have anything to do with the 11 and a half minute program, does it?

darn right it has to do with their program. Why would they do it if it doesn't?

But... if it's not part of their show, would you mind if I shouted during it? I mean, I am not disrupting your experience because nothing relevant is happening, right?

No. The old guns (there were two) signified different things. The first one, the starting gun, started the judged portion of the show, usually the first note or movement following "You may enter the field". The second gun, which went off towards the end of the program, signified the end of execution judging. Effect was still judged to the end of the program.

(Super-oldies please correct me if I get the details wrong)

Yup. My memory is that in my era execution stopped at 11 1/2 minutes, with the final gun at the end of the show or 13 minutes, whichever came first. A corps not done at 13 minutes meant....overtime penalties! Caused us to miss the first DCI finals in 72 (by 0.05 with 1.8 in penalties).

darn right it has to do with their program. Why would they do it if it doesn't?

But... if it's not part of their show, would you mind if I shouted during it? I mean, I am not disrupting your experience because nothing relevant is happening, right?

Yes, I'd mind, since it's something the corps is presenting to the audience, even if before the official start. Why EVER would you do such a thing?

So what's the "drum corps etiquette" for fans leaving and entering between shows? Do we now have to sit in our seats for the entire evening of shows? Or if we don't get there in time are we banished to watch from the tunnel all night? I guess we can always come and go when INT is performing. But wouldn't that be rude also?