In light of the elitism

That's true-but I think the fact that as opposed to the past, kids now GO AWAY just to rehearse. My corps, when I was marching-Class A of course-had members from 14-21 with an average of about 16/17. But the difference was that because it was local, the parents could always drop by rehearsals, and our tours were more limited compared to today's national touring model. Plus we did some local stuff, so the parents could see that we were safe and among friends and (drum corps) family. I can imagine few parents would want to send their 14 year old off on a series of flights five hundred miles from home to spend weekends, weeks and months, with strangers.

I know a lot of folks prefer this fairly recent older marchers, more clinical model of drum corps, but I certainly miss the days of more corps, less concentrated talent and more drum corps in general. It seems to me the activity at large was more exciting then-more shows, more parades, more people, more everything! Nowadays, folks only seem to care only about the top five or so who rotate the championships. I think that's pretty boring. While I don't know about the specific proposal by the OP, I think the junior activity would be far healthier if it was more inclusive with regards to age, AND class/race/ethnicity as it was even 20 years ago. In any activity, when you lose a critical mass, it weakens that activity.

You said it much better than I was able to. Thank you :tongue:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true-but I think the fact that as opposed to the past, kids now GO AWAY just to rehearse. My corps, when I was marching-Class A of course-had members from 14-21 with an average of about 16/17. But the difference was that because it was local, the parents could always drop by rehearsals, and our tours were more limited compared to today's national touring model. Plus we did some local stuff, so the parents could see that we were safe and among friends and (drum corps) family. I can imagine few parents would want to send their 14 year old off on a series of flights five hundred miles from home to spend weekends, weeks and months, with strangers.

I know a lot of folks prefer this fairly recent older marchers, more clinical model of drum corps, but I certainly miss the days of more corps, less concentrated talent and more drum corps in general. It seems to me the activity at large was more exciting then-more shows, more parades, more people, more everything! Nowadays, folks only seem to care only about the top five or so who rotate the championships. I think that's pretty boring. While I don't know about the specific proposal by the OP, I think the junior activity would be far healthier if it was more inclusive with regards to age, AND class/race/ethnicity as it was even 20 years ago. In any activity, when you lose a critical mass, it weakens that activity.

I went away to rehearse at 15 back when dinasaurs roamed the earth....this isn't a recent model (although, I'm not sure what your scope of "recent" is). I had to take final exams early so I could go away even earlier and make spring training....which we lovingly called Death Camp. I came back from rehersing away to attend graduation (that was under penalty of death accoring to my Mom....I was willing to skip it....but truly, Mom could be scarier than lots and lots of pushups d/t being behind the curve and ticking :tongue: )

When I marched class A, I couldn't avoid my parents if I tried (Mom was a cook volunteer and Dad helped fix/build stuff)....but when I moved corps, I went away.

I went away to rehearse at 15 back when dinasaurs roamed the earth....this isn't a recent model (although, I'm not sure what your scope of "recent" is).

When I marched class A, I couldn't avoid my parents if I tried (Mom was a cook volunteer and Dad helped fix/build stuff)....but when I moved corps, I went away.

Yes, I know that some younger kids went away to march back then, but it was less the norm back in the T-Rex days. Since you came from a drum corps affiliated family, you probably had an advantage in that regard. But I can see why you went away: fortunately my folks did not get all that involved! :tongue:

Yes, I know that some younger kids went away to march back then, but it was less the norm back in the T-Rex days. Since you came from a drum corps affiliated family, you probably had an advantage in that regard. But I can see why you went away: fortunately my folks did not get all that involved! :tongue:

I don't know what the "norm" is now. But while I was a younger member, I was by no means the youngest BITD.

My parents were wonderfully supportive, although I confess I appreciate their involvement much more in hindsight than I did at the time :bleah: