In light of the elitism

The year I made Cadets I didn't make Bluecoats.

Purely anecdotal, but it isn't crazy to think that some corps are more talented.

It's entirely possible that Bluecoats were full in one section while The Cadets weren't, and you happened to be in that section. It's also possible that if you played a different instrument, you might have been snapped up by Bluecoats and passed over by The Cadets. That's why kids who want to march in the corps of their choice should have more than one corps of their choice.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing to bet that the Cadets are always one of the top 3 corps talent-wise. Can't prove it, of course. ;)

Well they are a mature corps, and an elite corps who accepts a decent number of "rook-outs". During the height of the YEA days they had the national auditions, and you could pick the corps you wanted, but if you were open, Cadets took the best talent.

IMO, it may not be possible to level the playing field, as much as I'd like to see it happen.

Many suggest younger members or a lower average age.

Many suggest measures that would keep a member with his or her corps (less corps hopping)

Some suggest a more regional approach to recruiting.

This is how it used to be back in the old days. Younger average age; some with less talent; some less mature, etc. Members tended to come from the general region of their corps, and they tended to stay there until they aged out, at least for the most part. There's always exceptions.

My point is, that even with these aspects in place, there were still a few dominant corps that were tough to beat. The Green Machine and Blessed Sacrament are two that come to mind.

While I don't believe the older model would necessarily level the playing fiels, I do see a few benefits.

A corps with younger, less mature members presents an opportunity for the older more mature vets to help mold and nurture and teach these younger members. This, in itself, can help to promote a deeper loyalty to one's corps. The more regional approach also promotes a deeper corps loyalty, sometimes to the point of "Being a member of my corps, is more important that being the best corps in the world."

All of this, and a teaching of the philosophy that, " Winning isn't everything " would benefit our activity, and get it as close to parity as we are likely to ever see it.

This already happens. In fact, some of the leading designers/instructors today....joined the corps young and marched for a good amount of time.

I agree with another poster though, I think the biggest obstacle to younger members in the bigger groups is often the member's parents. My parents met in drum corps themselves. They knew the activity and what was going on....and they felt that we (all the kids in my family marched) were mature enough to handle ourselves on the road. (although I'm pretty sure that while I likely came home with the same amount of clothes that first year with Garfield....due to losing things consistently, they were completely different items of clothing.....I got better though :) )

But many of my school friend's parents thought my parents were nuts for letting me be gone so much. I'm guessing this does impact the number of younger members who even try out for bigger corps.

Edited by CuriousMe

Everybody agrees that Junior Drum and Bugle Corps is a youth activity, right?

DCI states that the activity is for youth from the ages of 14 to 21, right?

If these two things are true, then why not live by them?

Although all corps abide by the letter of the law, they don't abide by the spirit of it. Most World Class corps are loaded with people that are 18 to 20 years of age. Where are the younger kids? Either marching in an Open Class corps or, in most cases, watching from the sidelines.

Why not put a rule into effect that on June 1, of each year, the average age of the corps must be 18 years or younger? This still allows for kids to march until their 21st birthday but also allows the younger kids to get an opportunity to march thereby keeping the ranks full for future years. It also better fulfills DCI's mission.Jus

I'm sure that there are those who will say that it will ruin the activity. Look at it now. It is suffering from lower attendance and interest, plus the fact that a few of the corps, those with the highest average age, are wanting to be treated in a different manner than the balance of the corps because they are the ones who fill the stands.

Just a thought.

I was at the 1994 DCI congress as president of the board of directors of a div 3 corps. They had the founders of DCI speak. The issue then was parity as some corps seemed to be getting all the talent and holding on to them. The top corps had mostly the older more talented or seasoned students. The late George Bonfiglio made a great statement. He said that to bring about parity and increase the competitiveness for all groups in DCI that the directors should go to the kids geting ready to go to college and say, kid its been great having you with us but now its time to get on with your life and the real world. The hobby has become a business, albeit educational, but George was right at 18 its time to get on with the business of real life, college, job, future. Drum corps is just a hobby not a lifestyle to be lived on tour forever.

Just my opinion after being part of drum corps for 48 years, junior, all-age, alumni and I&E participant.

Dave Correia

RI Royal Lancers 1962-1969

RI Matadors 1969-1987, 99 reunion, 2007 DCA Ensemble

RI Generations, 1995-2000, Support 2009 Mini corps

Light Brigade Ltd, 2008 RIP

Mass Legends of Drum Corps, 2008-Present

Fan since 1954

Parent of Div 2 and World Class participants and instructors

Yes, removIng the majority of the members of DCI corps sure sounds like a great way to save the activity.

That story just goes to show that even founders of DCI are capable of having absolutely terrible ideas

i agree. kids have been able to balance college and drum corps for decades.

Instead of trying to figure out ways to punish corps for being successful and drawing in people who want to march why not concentrate on ways that the lower corps can improve what they offer so they lose less people?

Sounds good. My first idea - I think the other world-class corps can be improved by:

- taking away their voting rights

- taking away their Thursday, Friday and Sunday shows

- taking away some of their $$$

- firing half the DCI staff that serves them

OK, I'll admit it wasn't my idea....but I consulted some experts in the activity.

Sounds good. My first idea - I think the other world-class corps can be improved by:

- taking away their voting rights

- taking away their Thursday, Friday and Sunday shows

- taking away some of their $$$

- firing half the DCI staff that serves them

OK, I'll admit it wasn't my idea....but I consulted some experts in the activity.

You must have this thread confused with this one http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=135886

I agree with another poster though, I think the biggest obstacle to younger members in the bigger groups is often the member's parents.

But many of my school friend's parents thought my parents were nuts for letting me be gone so much. I'm guessing this does impact the number of younger members who even try out for bigger corps.

That's true-but I think the fact that as opposed to the past, kids now GO AWAY just to rehearse. My corps, when I was marching-Class A of course-had members from 14-21 with an average of about 16/17. But the difference was that because it was local, the parents could always drop by rehearsals, and our tours were more limited compared to today's national touring model. Plus we did some local stuff, so the parents could see that we were safe and among friends and (drum corps) family. I can imagine few parents would want to send their 14 year old off on a series of flights five hundred miles from home to spend weekends, weeks and months, with strangers.

I know a lot of folks prefer this fairly recent older marchers, more clinical model of drum corps, but I certainly miss the days of more corps, less concentrated talent and more drum corps in general. It seems to me the activity at large was more exciting then-more shows, more parades, more people, more everything! Nowadays, folks only seem to care only about the top five or so who rotate the championships. I think that's pretty boring. While I don't know about the specific proposal by the OP, I think the junior activity would be far healthier if it was more inclusive with regards to age, AND class/race/ethnicity as it was even 20 years ago. In any activity, when you lose a critical mass, it weakens that activity.

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77