In light of the elitism

If this had been the case when I auditioned and I got "drafted" or whatever by a corps I wasn't interested in marching I wouldn't march. Now, if I was being drafted by Pioneer and they were offering me a salary to march there that is a completely different story but I'm not going to pay to march somewhere that I'm not interested in marching.

Drafts only work when there are paychecks involved.

:tongue:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of trying to figure out ways to punish corps for being successful and drawing in people who want to march why not concentrate on ways that the lower corps can improve what they offer so they lose less people?

Instead of trying to figure out ways to punish corps for being successful and drawing in people who want to march why not concentrate on ways that the lower corps can improve what they offer so they lose less people?

Excellent point. I think the problem most people are having is the perception that the successful corps are the focus of improvement while the lower corps are neglected, which is understandable. Making the best worst won't make the activity better, making the worst best will... the whole weakest link thing. Something like that.

If the idea is to make every corps like a middle of the pack corps, this is a great for that.

Not necessarily. I've heard members of the Cadets claim time and time again that they never had the most talent, just the best work ethic, and that is what makes them successful. If that's true, and I think it probably is (and there really are some very talented youngsters out there as well) then the age really shouldn't matter.

IMO, it may not be possible to level the playing field, as much as I'd like to see it happen.

Many suggest younger members or a lower average age.

Many suggest measures that would keep a member with his or her corps (less corps hopping)

Some suggest a more regional approach to recruiting.

This is how it used to be back in the old days. Younger average age; some with less talent; some less mature, etc. Members tended to come from the general region of their corps, and they tended to stay there until they aged out, at least for the most part. There's always exceptions.

My point is, that even with these aspects in place, there were still a few dominant corps that were tough to beat. The Green Machine and Blessed Sacrament are two that come to mind.

While I don't believe the older model would necessarily level the playing fiels, I do see a few benefits.

A corps with younger, less mature members presents an opportunity for the older more mature vets to help mold and nurture and teach these younger members. This, in itself, can help to promote a deeper loyalty to one's corps. The more regional approach also promotes a deeper corps loyalty, sometimes to the point of "Being a member of my corps, is more important that being the best corps in the world."

All of this, and a teaching of the philosophy that, " Winning isn't everything " would benefit our activity, and get it as close to parity as we are likely to ever see it.

non-compete clauses are per se unenforceable in many states, including california. in many other states, like new york, courts almost never enforce them because they don't like them.

(lawyer hat off)

May be true, but you and I both know that it's the CONTENTION (claim) that costs all the money to defend. A young kid defending himself against a corps' lawyer would break the kid while the corps establishes a precedent of playing hardball.

(securities arbitrator hat off)

Not necessarily. I've heard members of the Cadets claim time and time again that they never had the most talent, just the best work ethic, and that is what makes them successful. If that's true, and I think it probably is (and there really are some very talented youngsters out there as well) then the age really shouldn't matter.

I'd be willing to bet that the Cadets are always one of the top 3 corps talent-wise. Can't prove it, of course. ;)

I'd be willing to bet that the Cadets are always one of the top 3 corps talent-wise. Can't prove it, of course. ;)

The year I made Cadets I didn't make Bluecoats.

Purely anecdotal, but it isn't crazy to think that some corps are more talented.