DCI board meets in Indianapolis

Enough with the constant changing and morphing and trying to "step backwards" by trying to be a band...be a drum corps, the model that all bands used to want to be like.

Lead the activity by returning to what works, expanding on those ideas and all else will follow, these things dont have to happen overnight, but the ceasing of the constant rules changes and proposals do ...

So, whatever happened to the massive influx of band people with the switch over from G bugles??

Never happened.

Stop trying to recruit 100% of band people. Doesnt anyone recall their high school band days?? Not everyone there was as pumped about band as the folks who frequent this site. The high school kids that care, already know about DCI, and drum corps. Now its time to bring back the adults in the activity with the resources (both in ticket and travel expeditures, and in donations) who can make DCI thrive.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The high school kids that care, already know about DCI, and drum corps. Now its time to bring back the adults in the activity with the resources (both in ticket and travel expeditures, and in donations) who can make DCI thrive.

I'm not so sure this is sound logic. There are many high school kids who would care about DCI if they had the chance to see it or learn more about it. In 2001 I learned about drum corps from my father telling me stories of his marching days. I got online and started poking around, and came across some "illegal" ripped videos from #drumcorps (on dalnet or efnet, can't remember). Thank God for those videos. I fell in love with the activity instantly and vowed that I would march someday before I was too old. Had I not been fortunate enough to have a father that marched, however, I would have never heard of DCI.

It is absolutely imperative that we continue to reach out to band kids. They make up the incredible vast majority of world class members anyway. Now, I'm not saying turn drum corps into band... the main reason that I fell in love with those videos was because there was no woodwinds, no props, no keyboards, no voice -- no bull****, as I would say. It was something BETTER than band, something I never even realized was possible.

Anyway, my point is band kids are very, very important.

Best part of this whole "power grab" attempt?? The fact that their little coup failed and, in light of the disparity between even the professionalism of the G7 proposal versus the DCI BOD plans, now the other 5 or 6 of the G7 stand there with egg on their face and have "outed" themselves as having hitched their wagons to Hoppy's horse....a horse that, at one look, should have said all they needed to know about how far that wagon ride would be (the highly unprofessional G7 PPT proposal). :tongue:

Wow...hollywood couldn't write this stuff much better. lol :tongue:

What a ride the last few weeks. Could you ever imagine DCI posting financial statements on their website? Looks like it's "Go Time" and Dan et al. are exposing to the light of day all the assertions of George and his posse. On the one hand, so sad. On the other...."you go girl." If George is forcing us all to choose sides.....then....you made your power play, and now it appears you're being called on it.

What a ride the last few weeks. Could you ever imagine DCI posting financial statements on their website? Looks like it's "Go Time" and Dan et al. are exposing to the light of day all the assertions of George and his posse. On the one hand, so sad. On the other...."you go girl." If George is forcing us all to choose sides.....then....you made your power play, and now it appears you're being called on it.

Hey HockeyDad; I like your sig-name. Always remember to keep your stick on the ice. Oops, off topic hockey talk. Sorry wrong thread ;-)

Hey HockeyDad; I like your sig-name. Always remember to keep your stick on the ice. Oops, off topic hockey talk. Sorry wrong thread ;-)

It sounds so simple, doesn't it? And yet............... if I'd only had my stick on the ice, that puck would have deflected right into the net..... oh well...

Hey - Oakland Crusaders '76 ...... one of my all time favorite shows!

It sounds so simple, doesn't it? And yet............... if I'd only had my stick on the ice, that puck would have deflected right into the net..... oh well...

I hear ya...It seems simple but it's complex. To answer your other post I marched Oakland Crusaders flag line in 76 and toured/taught Dutch Boy Cadets that summer and judged Jr. D or Jr. E at Nationals in September...oh well. Years later I met Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier and more, way cool too. Thanks HockeyDad:-)

Article.

Includes .pdf of 2009 audited financial statements and info about how DCI's revenue grew in 2009 despite the economic climate. Also includes a .pdf link for DCI's five-year business plan.

Howard Weinstein vs George Hopkins ! I just can't wait for this one ! :guinesssmilie:

Who are the two director's who resigned?

Is it possible that Hopkin's had to get the proposal out prior to the release of the DCI statement and results?

What a week - and the Mets not only swept the Phillies - they shut them out three in a row!