2010 Star of Indiana

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some new Star Alumni clips from this past Memorial Day weekend. Enjoy!

:tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AndrewJosephGr...u/8/JhcItVMwfKY

EPIC! :smile::ph34r:

Nice. Being a drummer I didn't really look that closely at the brass but are they using actual bugles or band instruments?

Wasn't this posted some months (or was it weeks...) ago? I recall the dragging contras well...

Think you missed part 3. Star of Indiana 2010 Sweet Tease 03 great release

Edited by jjeffeory

Nice. Being a drummer I didn't really look that closely at the brass but are they using actual bugles or band instruments?

That clip is in Eb, assuming it was recorded properly. The sound of the overtones in that context implies Bb instruments.

(That is, the Bb notes sound like fundamental notes [2,4], whereas if these were G Bugles, the Bb notes would sound like [3,6]. The real indicator is the High Eb in the top of the phrase in the low brass..it would sound like an 8th partial on G Bugles, whereas on Bb band instruments, it's a much more accurate (easy) 6th partial. That gap is huge, and easily heard. IOW, if this were played on Gs, it would "sound more difficult" than it does right now. But what do I know...Gs and Bb sound exactly the same, remember?)

That clip is in Eb, assuming it was recorded properly. The sound of the overtones in that context implies Bb instruments.

(That is, the Bb notes sound like fundamental notes [2,4], whereas if these were G Bugles, the Bb notes would sound like [3,6]. The real indicator is the High Eb in the top of the phrase in the low brass..it would sound like an 8th partial on G Bugles, whereas on Bb band instruments, it's a much more accurate (easy) 6th partial. That gap is huge, and easily heard. IOW, if this were played on Gs, it would "sound more difficult" than it does right now. But what do I know...Gs and Bb sound exactly the same, remember?)

lol

Great observation/post. I didn't even think of it like that.

...but you're totally right... Gs and Bbs sound exactly the same! :cool:

Interesting because they're using Yamahas rather than Pearls (or Premiers ack!). Even more interesting was the low, low tenor tuning and the high snare tuning. Star only used Kevlar heads in '93 (I think? Dang memory..) so hearing that tune played on Kevlar is kind of odd. But the best thing about that was the amount of flams being played. World peace will only be achieved with grace notes. I think I need to listen to '89 now.

Interesting because they're using Yamahas rather than Pearls (or Premiers ack!). Even more interesting was the low, low tenor tuning and the high snare tuning. Star only used Kevlar heads in '93 (I think? Dang memory..) so hearing that tune played on Kevlar is kind of odd. But the best thing about that was the amount of flams being played. World peace will only be achieved with grace notes. I think I need to listen to '89 now.

Mason Entertainment already uses Yamaha so why would they trade down to Pearl or Premier for the alimni corps?