uniform less show

As we all know, the shows are so demanding that corps have trouble putting a finished product out in the opening weeks. How about along those lines, we have them not wear the uniform until said product is finished and not anounce who they are and see where they place in a blind contest. It will never happen, but it would be interesting to see how many corps you could pick just by hearing the sound and seeing the drill. My bet is Madison and Cavies would be easily discernable, but how many could you pick just on a drill style?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As we all know, the shows are so demanding that corps have trouble putting a finished product out in the opening weeks. How about along those lines, we have them not wear the uniform until said product is finished and not anounce who they are and see where they place in a blind contest.

You want some corps to not be announced when they take the field in Indianapolis? :tongue:

Brings me back to some of the so called "underwear run-thrus" some corps used to do finals week... Now THAT would really make this concept quite interesting. Haha... :tongue:

You want some corps to not be announced when they take the field in Indianapolis? :tongue:

Only SEVEN.... :tongue:

Around 10 yrs or so back, there was a big Div. II/III contest in Manchester, NH about 2 wks before championships. A lot of the competing units were coming here after a big contest in Canada a day or two before. At the time, one of the competing corps was from Taiwan-and I'm not even going to try for the name, because I know I would mess it up. Anyway, their uniforms got tied up going through Customs from Canada into the U.S., so the corps was forced to compete in "street clothes"-basically, shorts & tees, and it was made clear that it wouldn't affect their scores as the situation was beyond their control. Don't remember where they finished, only thing I remember was that SCV Cadets won the show.

I think it would be interesting if each corps was given a 3 minute music and drill and they performed in plain t-shirts and jeans no announcement of what corps is what just Corps 1 take the field..... and maybe have this on Wednesday during finals week and the corps get a "bonus" or something but would be interesting to see where the corps fall in reference to their reg comp. show

Around 10 yrs or so back, there was a big Div. II/III contest in Manchester, NH about 2 wks before championships. A lot of the competing units were coming here after a big contest in Canada a day or two before. At the time, one of the competing corps was from Taiwan-and I'm not even going to try for the name, because I know I would mess it up. Anyway, their uniforms got tied up going through Customs from Canada into the U.S., so the corps was forced to compete in "street clothes"-basically, shorts & tees, and it was made clear that it wouldn't affect their scores as the situation was beyond their control. Don't remember where they finished, only thing I remember was that SCV Cadets won the show.

In the mid 70's, a fast rising North Star Corps from Massachusetts was tearing it up on tour out in the mid west early in the season. The Corps was eagerly looking forward to come back home and compete in front of their home town fans at the Manning Bowl in Lynn, Mass against the others and to show their improvement. On the way back, their equipment truck caught fire. Most of the Corps uniforms and some of the instruments went up in flames. When they arrived in Lynn, they were prepared to sit it out. They were of course devastated and heartsick. But one Corps... then other.... then other..... stepped forth and donated hats, shoes, plumes, sashes, horns, etc. The other Corps knew how much it would mean to the Corps to compete there. I happened to have attended the show. The North Star became without a doubt the ugliest looking Drum Corps to EVER go into competition. But paradoxically, they were also the most handsome and the most beautiful that day. They brought the house down with their show. In a sense, all the Corps who freely gave stuff went out on that competition field with them for the show. And it probably was one of the finast and proudest moments in Drum Corps history, imo. ALL the Corps who had donated literally " the shirts of their backs " to another Corps in need could not help but make you proud of the Drum and Bugle Corps movement. While all these Corps were keen competitors, they learned to look out for one another whenever they had an opportunity to do so. And that single moment alone, signified the genuine goodness of the activity that was present.

Edited by BRASSO