OK, so it was just a parade

But I caught a little bit of Boston, Spartans, and 7thRegiment at the Bunker Hill Parade today...

Folks who are Boston fans, and who isn't, are going to go nuts for this horn and drum line. No one has ever seen a Boston horn line in this shape at this time of year. Don't believe me? Fine.

Spartans - look great -really good numbers - the battery sounded outrageous - bass drums cooking too (yeah I know they're part of the battery - they just cut through and stood out in a good way). Hard to make judgments about the horns but the numbers are good and the sound solid. Much better than what I expected after a year off.

7th Regiment (disclaimer - my daughter is a rookie - I'm biased) look good - sound good. Numbers a lot like Spartans. Battery big and tight and good. Brass line sounded good - not going to make a comparison to Spartans, especially in light of the fact that all they were playing was Wonderpets for parades. The two groups have a different sound, but neither leaves you saying this is better or worse - just different from each other.

The main thing is that this was mid June and here were 3 solid NE drum corps, looking good, good numbers, sounding good.

Should be a good summer for NE audiences.

Edited by rayfallon

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I caught a little bit of Boston, Spartans, and 7thRegiment at the Bunker Hill Parade today...

Folks who are Boston fans, and who isn't, are going to go nuts for this horn and drum line. No one has ever seen a Boston horn line in this shape at this time of year. Don't believe me? Fine.

<snip>

Should be a good summer for NE audiences.

Thanks for the report...this West Coast guy loves the Crusaders...

Cali.

Thanks for the report...this West Coast guy loves the Crusaders...

Cali.

The only people who don't love the Crusaders are people whose fathers lost fights (and girlfriends) to them back in the day.

The modern BOSCRU have been a model for the activity - growing the organization in a controlled, prudent way, getting the right people into the right slots over the course of years, making adjustments (for instance - accommodating members from Florida) when necessary.

This year's brass line is up there with anyone's in the activity - it's rocking. Granted I'm a dinosaur, but go and listen for yourselves if you doubt. I heard a lot of Boston hornlines over the years - never heard one like this - the low brass? Yowsa.

The only people who don't love the Crusaders are people whose fathers lost fights (and girlfriends) to them back in the day.

The modern BOSCRU have been a model for the activity - growing the organization in a controlled, prudent way, getting the right people into the right slots over the course of years, making adjustments (for instance - accommodating members from Florida) when necessary.

This year's brass line is up there with anyone's in the activity - it's rocking. Granted I'm a dinosaur, but go and listen for yourselves if you doubt. I heard a lot of Boston hornlines over the years - never heard one like this - the low brass? Yowsa.

Yowsa Yowsa Yowsa!

Glad to hear that Spartans are back and strong.I have a feeling the NE will be taking some top honors in OC this year

Yowsa Yowsa Yowsa!

Glad to hear that Spartans are back and strong.I have a feeling the NE will be taking some top honors in OC this year

I was very happy to see Spartans back and looking good.

I'm interested in the attention or lack thereof that Open class corps receive or will receive this season (on DCP).

Any estimates on what Spartans numbers are?

Big battery - good too - gotta figure around 30 horns - if I underesitmate I apologize - didn't have the time to actually count - doing it by ear.

Big sound

Ray, thanks for the mini-review. I agree with you on Boston's sound, and the word I've gotten is that 7th has an UNBELIEVABLE marching technique.......

.....also, I'm biased because I have 4 Maine kids in 7th.......and, well, Boston is Boston! :satisfied:

Ray, thanks for the mini-review. I agree with you on Boston's sound, and the word I've gotten is that 7th has an UNBELIEVABLE marching technique.......

.....also, I'm biased because I have 4 Maine kids in 7th.......and, well, Boston is Boston! :satisfied:

Craig,

What I've found with 7th is what I loved with the Crusader corps of the early 90s when I got there - they're hghly motivated, well trained, but most of all, they seem to love THEIR corps. You don't get there and have people talking about their audtion tapes for Phantom or playing BD on the iPod.

It's drum corps the way I love it - less like a touring Broadway show and more liike a group of friends on a mission.

Great kids, neat staff - maybe most impressive - the Surfers Alumni Association - who sponsors and runs the corps, are well organized, run it like a business (you see that the group gets a little bigger and a little better each year and don't bankrupt themselves along the way) and they love the kids.

They simply want that experience for the kids of Connecticut and New England.

I love Open Class corps. If these kids sang "Giant" I'd be right back in my element.