Corps Numbers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Numbers are important, DCA is clearly a numbers game. Rarely will you ever see a horn line of 20 score with the 50+ horn lines. Why? Not less talent, because there are a few corps out there with small horn lines that have deserved more. The same certainly goes for drums as well. It has always been that way and always will be. You just won't see DCA judges give a horn line of 20 higher scores than a horn line of 50+ even if they are better. Guarantee it!

I think in today's drum corps, your smaller horn lines would tend to be in Class A and therefore wouldn't be competing against the corps with the larger lines. Govies(among others) are a perfect example that small numbers can do great things; if you look at the horns from some of the top mini corps like Star United, Goden Eagles, Mass Brass, Ghostriders-they are excellent and if you gave them a decent drum line and guard, they could easily be contenders in Class A.

Why do the corps in Northern New Jersey have a difficult time securing members. There is a large marching band population isn't there? :whistle:

The Kilties....42 brass (in G), 21 percussion, 19 guard, 1 DM/Conductor, 1 Backfield conductor, plus 6 to 9 Honor Guard (depending on show).

Will be 3 to 4 brass players short our first show due to these members having a required committment, as example, with their military band that day and evening.

Why do the corps in Northern New Jersey have a difficult time securing members. There is a large marching band population isn't there? :whistle:

I had to read that 3-4 times to try and determine if it was a serious question.

The simple answer, is that while there is a certainly a pool to recruit from, the market is over-saturated in options compared to other regions of the US. For example, in CA (a large state, mind you) there are 2 active all-age drum corps. Whereas in the NJ area (a relatively small state) there are no less than 5-6 all-age corps vying for the same talent.

I had to read that 3-4 times to try and determine if it was a serious question.

The simple answer, is that while there is a certainly a pool to recruit from, the market is over-saturated in options compared to other regions of the US. For example, in CA (a large state, mind you) there are 2 active all-age drum corps. Whereas in the NJ area (a relatively small state) there are no less than 5-6 all-age corps vying for the same talent.

Sayre, let's not forget to mention a bunch of alumni corps and a fair number of parade corps which can be a diversion. In North Jersey alone there's Cabs Alumni, Sky Alumni, Blessed Sac and Bridgemen. Yes, a few of the members are doing more than one corps, but I'll bet there are 200 horns and 50 drummers in play within those four corps alone. Add in Reilly, Archie, Swing House, Garfield's Alumni, Lambertville, Melrose and a few others that escape me at the moment and there's a lot of non-competitive options.

Edited 'cuz I hate spellin' someone's name wrong.

Edited by G-horns

Sayre, let's not forget to mention a bunch of alumni corps and a fair number of parade corps which can be a diversion. In North Jersey alone there's Cabs Alumni, Sky Alumni, Blessed Sac and Bridgemen. Yes, a few of the members are doing more than one corps, but I'll bet there are 200 horns and 50 drummers in play within those four corps alone. Add in Reilly, Archie, Swing House, Garfield's Alumni, Lambertville, Melrose and a few others that escape me at the moment and there's a lot of non-competitive options.

Edited 'cuz I hate spellin' someone's name wrong.

Oh absolutely! There's a heap of junior corps too! I only counted on the all-age field corps, because that alone answers the question. Once you through all the other possible choices in, it just gets ridiculous!

I think in today's drum corps, your smaller horn lines would tend to be in Class A and therefore wouldn't be competing against the corps with the larger lines. Govies(among others) are a perfect example that small numbers can do great things; if you look at the horns from some of the top mini corps like Star United, Goden Eagles, Mass Brass, Ghostriders-they are excellent and if you gave them a decent drum line and guard, they could easily be contenders in Class A.

Rumor has it that the Erie Thunderbirds were pretty good too. Just sayin.......