Corps Numbers

Not sure if this has been posted yet but what numbers are corps marching this year?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skeptic,

How about you tell us your corps' numbers first, since the show has been done for weeks.

It varies from show to show, depends on how many of us are sitting in the stands.

I told you before that I am not affiliated with any corps other than having friends in a few corps.

Only had one Beer and I do appreciate brevity but,.........I don't understand the question. :tongue:

how many guard/horn/drum/pit/dm members are corps marching this summer.

example:

brass-45

battery-17

pit-9

guard-25

dm-2

It's the perennial question that all but 1-2 corps refuse to answer. Odds are it will remain a secret for most corps until they are actually on the field. That's one of the reasons I always try to give those numbers in my show reviews.

It's the perennial question that all but 1-2 corps refuse to answer. Odds are it will remain a secret for most corps until they are actually on the field. That's one of the reasons I always try to give those numbers in my show reviews.

And it is much appreciated. At least by me.

Specific numbers aren't that important. The quality of the corps, regardless if they have 45 horns or 60, 20 drums or 30, etc. is what most people are interested in knowing about. (I marched a few years when we had a huge corps, and we weren't very good!)

Sayre, Jeff Ream, and a few others always do a great job of telling us what the corps are putting on the field in terms of quality, not just quantity. Hopefully, thanks to either or both of them, we'll begin to get our answers about that beginning Saturday. Let the season begin!

Safe travels to all headed to Wildwood.

Numbers are important, DCA is clearly a numbers game. Rarely will you ever see a horn line of 20 score with the 50+ horn lines. Why? Not less talent, because there are a few corps out there with small horn lines that have deserved more. The same certainly goes for drums as well. It has always been that way and always will be. You just won't see DCA judges give a horn line of 20 higher scores than a horn line of 50+ even if they are better. Guarantee it!

Didn't Sun win brass with 35 horns once or twice? It was a long time ago, maybe the late 80's/ early 90's, but I know they did it at least once. Bush has won brass with smaller hornlines too in the same era, plus in 2006, although I think that year was one of there bigger lines.

You're right, 20 horns won't beat 60, but you can win brass with 40 to 50 horns if you have the talent. Personally, I like it when corps have 60 or more AND the talent. What a sound!