REMATCH

Honestly I didn't ask them that question but most of them felt that the Cadets should have won last night. The one guy said they are at a whole different level than everyone else. In fact there was a lot of gasping in the stands that Crown won. I thought Crown was amazing in music but after just seeing the recaps I guess I don't understand the scoring. I would have had The Cadets first in GE by over a point and Crown First in Music GE by over a point. That would have been my call. I know its the first show and there are lots and lots of changes. I really liked all three corps and the Cavilers were pretty good the second time around. Lots of nice effects.

You see, this is where the judges sometimes get in trouble with some of us. I will grant that a judge has the capacity to tell us who should have won the caption upon which that judge has an expertise. I get that.

But when a judge tells us ( in this case 2 judges ) that " the Cadets should have won last night", how do they know this ? Frankly, with all due respect to them they DON'T know that. These 2 judges have little qualification and experience with all the judging captions to make such a statement.

For instance if the judges were brass qualified, they'd know diddly about percussion and guard. If they were percussion judges, and played and taught drums, they wouldn't know jack about brass intonation, pitch, balance, demand, execution, etc.... and percussion judges wouldn't know jack about Visual and Guard either.

It's a shame when 2 judges like this step out of their area of expertise and try and tell you.... and us.... who should " have won last nite ". That because, other than being able to judge their own caption with a degree of certainty, they are in no better position than you, me, or anyone else for that matter to tell us who should have won.

Plus, it's certainly obvious that the judges in the booth disagreed with the 2 judges seeing right next to you. And that sure as heck can't be comforting to know for those of us who desire transparancy and accountability in the activity.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess if resting one armed on the ground and playing incredibly exposed music one handed is a rest, then everyone would do it.

I COMPLETELY AGREE! ESPECIALLY WITH A CONTRA !

i guess if resting one armed on the ground and playing incredibly exposed music one handed is a rest, then everyone would do it.

They did something like that in their 08 show during the slow part... Not surprised that they would do something like that again.

When I marched that "stand still" dancing stuff was referred to as "rest". The marching and playing is much more impressive to me than dancy pantsy.

Jonathan

Agreed, plus a couple of quick thoughts on the subject.

I LOVE the choreography that Crown is doing. That ensemble stuff they had in Puck was fantastic and I wish I had the opportunity to do that. I know there are many arguments that make the dancing just as valid as marching, but here's a couple against it.

1) Physical endurance. Yes, mentally it's challenging and adds variety. However, I do consider it MAJOR rest time. I still love watching 93 Cadets because they never stop moving. The biggest wow factor for me is, "OMG they never stop!"

2) Hornline "dancing" is not held to the same standard as marching. You can be dirtier than a newborn diaper, but you'll still get credit. It's expected to be close to perfect to get Box 5 in marching, but as long as you're close in dancing, you're fine.

With all that said, I'm REALLY excited hearing about all three shows. BEST of luck to the three C's this summer, and everyone else for that matter.

Well I think The Cadets followed that a little this year too. They have a lot of body movement this year but they are on the move doing it. I guess it does support it but I don't think its near as demanding as what The Cavies and The Cadets are doing.

There's no relation to the "body movement" the Cadets do (head leans, toy soldier motions) and the choreographed movement that Crown does. They're two entirely different things. And I'm sure that both corps are quite content to keep it that way :)

These lack of updates are making the night slooooow...................

That is for sure! Are you going to First Beat tomorrow?

These lack of updates are making the night slooooow...................

agreed! Its driving me nuts!