REMATCH

Watched both corps twice last night -- I disagree.

I agree the Cadets are certainly doing more "body" than in past years so it does *seem* like a lot (for them).

I disagree with you and agree with Benchmark. Perhaps you need to watch a third time. Cadets DO do a lot of leg work, individually and in sections. They do body work. They do head work. They do arm work. It doesn't just *seem* like a lot. It *IS* a lot. Is it as much as Crown? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It depends on the definintion of "is" I guess.

Anyway, the two shows are so completely different that it is pointless to compare them equally to each other from a style standpoint. It doesn't really make any difference!

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crown is standing still half the show......I disagee! lol
It sure looks a lot easier than what The Cadets are doing. You might be right but perception would be otherwise.

Um...I'm not sure what show you watched last night. But...ok :devil:

*This* will you make you feel like you're at the show :devil:

P1050614.JPG

Hashmark inspection?

:devil:

You can't honestly say that you have seen the show......seriously, standing half the show?? Pretty unfair don't you think?

I can see where he's coming from, but before everyone gets down my throat, I'm just comparing to my feelings from last year with Crown...

At the beginning of last year I thought Crown stood still A LOT. It couldn't believe it. Well, by the end of the season they added, and changed, and I was COMPLETELY sold. I LOVED their show and felt the amount of variety and flow was fantastic. They have moments where they move like crazy and moments of wonderful artistry.

You see, this is where the judges sometimes get in trouble with some of us. I will grant that a judge has the capacity to tell us who should have won the caption upon which that judge has an expertise. I get that.

But when a judge tells us ( in this case 2 judges ) that " the Cadets should have won last night", how do they know this ? Frankly, with all due respect to them they DON'T know that. These 2 judges have little qualification and experience with all the judging captions to make such a statement.

For instance if the judges were brass qualified, they'd know diddly about percussion and guard. If they were percussion judges, and played and taught drums, they wouldn't know jack about brass intonation, pitch, balance, demand, execution, etc.... and percussion judges wouldn't know jack about Visual and Guard either.

It's a shame when 2 judges like this step out of their area of expertise and try and tell you.... and us.... who should " have won last nite ". That because, other than being able to judge their own caption with a degree of certainty, they are in no better position than you, me, or anyone else for that matter to tell us who should have won.

Plus, it's certainly obvious that the judges in the booth disagreed with the 2 judges seeing right next to you. And that sure as heck can't be comforting to know for those of us who desire transparancy and accountability in the activity.

This is a great post....... and I would venture to guess that any people who sit up in the stands, whether they are judges or not, that blatantly say that so and so should have won etc..., and are really convinced of that notion, are just trying to stroke their own egos. Yes it does make it much worse that these people were judges, but I think it is still the same thing. I wonder if these people were DCI judges, or just marching band. But yes, it really does bother me when people think they have so much more expertise than the actual judges that they can pay attention to every single different caption at once and proclaim the "real" winner of the show. :devil:

thats great<thats what you like...but the sheets dont give you credit at all for staying on the move in camparison to all the ways to get points, and using a variety of ways is how you win these days.

Got me, can't argue with that.

I disagree with you and agree with Benchmark. Perhaps you need to watch a third time. Cadets DO do a lot of leg work, individually and in sections. They do body work. They do head work. They do arm work. It doesn't just *seem* like a lot. It *IS* a lot. Is it as much as Crown? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It depends on the definintion of "is" I guess.

Anyway, the two shows are so completely different that it is pointless to compare them equally to each other from a style standpoint. It doesn't really make any difference!

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up.