Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

Watched this on fan network and was #### impressed. Their visual program is always solid, but the stuff they are doing this year is really engaging. Can't wait to see it clean.

Would love to see them in the top 3 this year.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I laughed at that, too, but you can't see that when you're listening to the CD in your car.

DCI NEWS RELEASE

ENTIRE VELVET KNIGHTS REPERTOIRE FROM 1982 TO PRESENT DAY TO BE STRICKEN FROM DCI CD COLLECTIONS

"They can't hear the funny," says DCI, VK executives

But I am glad to see that SCV is going somewhere different among all the world class corps.

True. By next year, there is a 50-50 chance that SCV will be gone from DCI. If true, some will be glad, others not so glad.

I don't have any desire to view a show multiple times in order for it to "grow on me" (because chances are that the one and only time I'll see it is at the show) nor SHOULD I have to be "familiar with the source material" as a pre-requisite to enjoying the music. That's a ridiculous requirement. Grab me right away or forget about it. This is the entire problem with way too many Corps today. I don't want to think about the "meaning" of a show or have to have a deeper understanding of the freaking music. Don't make me think, just entertain me........

To each his own. I am a drum corps nut and have been since my very first show at age 7.

To me all the shows are better appreciated upon multiple viewings and reviewing source materials.

The designers build a lot of small important nuances into the shows that really do get appreciated when viewed many times.

For me, case in point, I really did not like a lot of Carolina Crown's 2009 show until the end of the year.

So many times my first viewing of a corps has been, unfortunately, not very favorable.

Luckily, many turn around completely by the end of the season.

I wonder how many people ( or show staff designers ) here that are asking some others to " let a show grow on you " by going to view it multiple times.... would go " multiple times " to a movie theatre to watch repetitive trime a movie that they thought stunk the first time they saw it ?

If they are honest with themselves ( and us ) they wouldn' t go back a 2nd time to see a convoluted movie even if it was free.... let alone pay for a ticket a 2nd.... 3rd.... 4th.... or 5th time.

If the movie stinks, is confusing, or in some other way is unsatisfying...they're not going back to see it again. They know it.. We know it.

With all respect, this assumes that you think the show/movie stinks.

Many who are familiar with Bartok are excited about this show.

Many who are unfamiliar with Bartok will come away thinking, that is nice.

SCV is not about pleasing everyone all the time - never has been.

Just enjoy the show you are at and enjoy sharing what you like and dislike about the performances of the corps.

Well, I guess not every show can be simplistic and crowd pandering. God forbid something should be intellectually challenging and force the audience to absorb the content and think about the presentation for a bit past the initial fifteen minute performance.

ditto :tongue:

I don't really know what I think of this show yet. I DID realize one thing tonight though:

This show makes me really uncomfortable...and that's the point.

sitting in my car in rush hour traffic makes me " uncomfortable " too. So what ? And I supposed to LIKE "uncomfortable " ?

Given a choice, I 'll take being " comfortable " over " uncomfortable " any day of the week.

Then again, I do know some folks that still don't believe in air conditioning as part of their Global Warming thingy, so I'm happy a least they are happy being " uncomfortable " with the AC turned off.

DCI NEWS RELEASE

ENTIRE VELVET KNIGHTS REPERTOIRE FROM 1982 TO PRESENT DAY TO BE STRICKEN FROM DCI CD COLLECTIONS

"They can't hear the funny," says DCI, VK executives

Ah, but you can always catch the record skips without the visual.

And don't forget about the Jaws music (accompanied by staff shouting Oh No in 1985).

But alas the Bull raising a leg would not have an audio reinforcement.

Well, I guess not every show can be simplistic and crowd pandering. God forbid something should be intellectually challenging and force the audience to absorb the content and think about the presentation for a bit past the initial fifteen minute performance.

Well, that sure is a slap in the face to all the other Corps shows this year, ie that they re all " simplistic " and engaged in " crowd pandering".

I can't for the life of me understand what a show in which they charge prices for admittance would want to pander to the crowd that bought the tickets ? Doesn't it make much more sense to make them feel " uncomfortable " ?.

And how much intellectual gravitas can one filter properly in an 11 minute show of marching music, anyway ?

My intellectual curiousity is already being maxed out trying to figure out how the shows of these Corps corresponds to their stated theme for the show. Nobody... including the judges.... understands 80% of these Corps shows relative to the themes. We are already being asked to set aside the cortex of the cerebellum that leads to insight when we listen and watch most of these shows now, no ? The LAST thing I need is yet ANOTHER show that has me scratching my head and feeling intellectually drained and" uncomfortable " even MORE..... and by intent and design no less.

Edited by BRASSO

True. By next year, there is a 50-50 chance that SCV will be gone from DCI. If true, some will be glad, others not so glad.

Wow Brasso! That's a bold statement. SCV has been around since the inception of DCI, and to the best of my knowledge is doing well financially and administratively.

Is there something that you know that the rest of us do not? Are you on the Vanguard Board of Directors or something??