Season has begun...gotten to see/hear some shows

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be very easy to lose sight of all of this now that the season has started.

There is supposed to be a revisiting of the proposal in July. There is a chance that some or all of the proposal will be approved. Perhaps some kind of compromise proposal.

I really don't think that will happen though. The new board was put into place in reaction to the proposal in May. I don't see them making one of their first big decisions an approval of any of this.

If nothing happens in July (or if there is a decision to table the discusion or ask for further study), I don't think it will wait until a meeting in January. Often there are a couple of board meetings in the fall - usually one in September and another one in November.

I agree. People with a voting interest in favor of G7 were removed from the board and replaced with people whose voting interest would logically be against G7. So I don't see this board passing the G7 proposal we've already seen, in July. I'd be shocked if that happened. Either it gets voted down forthwith by some POed board members, or it gets taken seriously, tabled for a bit, discussed, and maybe a compromise deal is reached later in the year, or maybe it gets voted down later in the year. The real interesting question is: what happens if it gets voted down? Do some or all of the G7 corps up and leave? The crystal ball is foggy there for me...

G7 has nothing to do with the product on the field.

Exactly. What a Corps puts out on th field this year is irrelevent from a number of perspectives. Not the least of which will be the placements... nor who will be the " top acts " for pure enjoyment this year among the majority of fans across the country that will get to watch and listen to all these Corps.

G7 is only a way to get rid of open class in DCI and lower end of top 12 and to bottom. Less Funding from DCI means more smaller corps folding, and they can jack the price of the tickets up because they think "they are the best in the world". Its all marketing, and greed driven, and will cause the collapse of DCI or a company with buy out DCI to save it perhaps Star of Indiana organization.... :tongue: .....Plenty of money is made from BLAST! just saying.... .They dont think the kids that dont have experience to march top 7 shouldn't be in DCI. How do they expect kids to get experience without the lower tear corps? Marching band and drum corps is nothing like one another, in level of expectations. As for scoring it is very subjective. It reminds me of MSBOA in Michigan at band festival. once you get to a point all the top schools are getting 1's at district and state festival, and basically is saying you school has nothing to work on, then programs self destruct. Scoring needs to be tougher in DCI. If this is "Marching Music's major leagues". The 3 point line is farther away in the NBA than college and high school.....just as an example if you think of it as a sport.

Edited by Josiahsop08

G7 is only a way to get rid of open class in DCI ...

This, am afraid, would be the compromise bargaining chip between the G7 and the rest of the WC corps (if a compromise materializes). Remember, OC corps have no vote or say in the matter! The WC directors might feel it is necessary to compromise by letting go of Open Class to make peace with the G7.

G7 is only a way to get rid of open class in DCI and lower end of top 12 and to bottom. Less Funding from DCI means more smaller corps folding, and they can jack the price of the tickets up because they think "they are the best in the world". Its all marketing, and greed driven, and will cause the collapse of DCI or a company with buy out DCI to save it perhaps Star of Indiana organization.... :tongue: .....Plenty of money is made from BLAST! just saying.... .They dont think the kids that dont have experience to march top 7 shouldn't be in DCI. How do they expect kids to get experience without the lower tear corps? Marching band and drum corps is nothing like one another, in level of expectations. As for scoring it is very subjective. It reminds me of MSBOA in Michigan at band festival. once you get to a point all the top schools are getting 1's at district and state festival, and basically is saying you school has nothing to work on, then programs self destruct. Scoring needs to be tougher in DCI. If this is "Marching Music's major leagues". The 3 point line is farther away in the NBA than college and high school.....just as an example if you think of it as a sport.

Hey Josh... I love your enthusiasm, and you're right on so many things in the paragraph, but next time could you think about not combining 42 thoughts of yours on the Drum Corps scene all at once here ? After reading your paragraph here, My heads about to explode, Man.... ya know what I'm sayin' ?

Edited by BRASSO

To my discredit I haven't read all these threads about this joke called G-7. So, I'm not sure if this has been talked about before but this whole thing stinks of some of the very same smell that came from the abandoning of DCM.

G7 has nothing to do with the product on the field.

For this year it has nothing to do with the product on the field but just wait! I am against the G7 proposal but enjoyed the Cadets show at Normal and cheered them on. It seems odd that the 2 board member who were part of the G7 resigned before the proposal came out. In their proposal they say if it is adopted they will work with DCI and if not they will decide the next steps. Sounds like a threat! George Hopkins seems to want to create a marching pop variety show to draw more people to events and slowly he has introduced the rule changes to make it happen - but it is not fast enough so therefore the G7. With the G7 getting 2 votes they can institute more drastic rul changes. We will end up with a product that is much worse than the "DCOA" people joke about. If they want to go in that direction let them, just like Star went their own way. I liked Blast - it was great entertainment, it wasn;t Drum Corps though. Those corps should decide if they want to do "Drum Corps Idol" or whatever - just don't ruin DCI any more than it already has been ruined. I don't think DCI is perfect but this proposal seems to have little to do with "saving" DCI.

Let's remember a couple of things:

1. The G7 certainly aren't going to propose the exact same thing again in July....that already precipitated a boardroom shakeup. The July proposal will focus on the touring and event format parts of their agenda, sweeping some of the more objectionable stuff (i.e. A/AA/AAA, governance, eliminating open-class, etc.) under the rug as what they will present as a "compromise".

2. The working BOD that will vote on this "compromise" consists of eight people, none of whom are G7 corps directors.

Let's remember a couple of things:

1. The G7 certainly aren't going to propose the exact same thing again in July....that already precipitated a boardroom shakeup. The July proposal will focus on the touring and event format parts of their agenda, sweeping some of the more objectionable stuff (i.e. A/AA/AAA, governance, eliminating open-class, etc.) under the rug as what they will present as a "compromise".

2. The working BOD that will vote on this "compromise" consists of eight people, none of whom are G7 corps directors.

Even though I would hate for the Open Class to be sacrificed, nobility usually goes out the window when self preservation is on the line; not many people are like William Wallace in Breaveheart So, my guess is that most World Class directors care more about self preservation then the Open Class; and I believe that most WC directors would compromise by sacrificing the OC in a fraction of a second if it would mean keeping the G7 from leaving DCI and keeping current WC structure in place. I hope that I am wrong, but what is there to gain for the other World Class directors to take a bullet and possibly die for the Open Class? Open Class corps are already being methodically shut out of more and more local World Class shows; Open Class directors have no voting power at all over their own destiny; Open Class corps draw in very little ticket sales as compared to World Class; most Open Class corps are struggling financially to make national tours happen; and Open Class corps are no longer viewed as feeder corps because of the increased talent level of those auditioning for World Class corps. Like I said, I hope that I am wrong, but do not be surprised if the OC is actually eliminated by the WC directors in the name of preserving DCI.