Is it true?

BARNUM MUSEUM DAMAGED

At the Barnum Museum in downtown Bridgeport, Kathleen Maher, director, said the museum was hit hard by the storm. "We have had some significant damage to the building as well as the collection. Two Main Street windows completely blew out, allowing all the storm water and wind to howl through the first floor exhibition areas. Additionally, water at the North West corner of the building was then able to seep through the first floor into the basement storage area wetting the archival collection of Barnum books."

Maher said, "We had extraordinary help from many of our friends who came to assist with the recovery, and currently the building and collection are stabilized for the moment. We will have to seek professional assessments to determine the extent of the damage to the building structure and to the collection of the display and storage items. We photo and video documented the incident and we began doing written reviews."

:tongue:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Connecticut, just a few towns over from Bridgeport, and my son also marches in the Hurricanes, and we have not heard of any show cancellation. Weather was crazy yesterday, and Bridgeport probably got hit harder than anywhere else in the area. If it was canceled, I think we would hear about it fairly quickly. If I hear anything either way, I will post it here.

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

From the CT Post:

BARNUM FESTIVAL

Champions on Parade, scheduled for Saturday night at Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport, will go on.

The Great Street Parade on Sunday will also go on as scheduled.

The storm, however, has affected two Barnum Festival events. The fireworks display originally planned for tonight at Seaside Park has been postponed. A rescheduled date has not been set.

The Barnum Festival did have to cancel the singing of the Swedish Nightingales Jenny Lind concert scheduled Thursday night at the Playhouse On the Green. Officials are coordinating schedules this morning to try to find a date and time, hopefully this weekend, when both young ladies are still in town, to reschedule the performance.

And, The Park City Pride will be rehearsing tonight at the Champions on Parade site.

Edited by eploskunyak

Hurcs had this clever post on their Facebook page:

Due to the storm that cut through CT this afternoon, which brought down trees and cut power to 1000's of residents, the city of Bridgeport has been placed in a State of Emergency. While the storm has since passed, the city has decided to keep in this State of Emergency effective until 9:45 Saturday evening...

At that time, the storm is expected to makes its way back. It will form at the Circle, then make the long journey down and around, finally hitting land at Kennedy Stadium around 9:46. At this time, the skys will miraculously open, and Sent from Heaven will be a clear and starry night, lasting approximately 12-15 minutes. If you are planning to be ... See More in the Bridgeport area Saturday evening, please take heed and caution. If you happen to be any of the following, please take extra caution. Southerners, Mixtures, Hedge Trimmers, Men and Boats are specific targets. Survivors of this storm are invited to stick around for an after shock in the Circle where it first formed. Walk Proud, and Think of Thunder!

Liz mentioned in another post that live close to bridgeport and my area was un-touched by the storm(not one drop of rain). I would also like to add that I only live 1.5 miles away from the show site. I took a drive past there today and that area is untouched as well. (In other words) The birds are singing, the sun is shining, no loss of power, the statium is still in tact.

Me thinks we are good to go for a great Drum corps show.

See ya there :tongue:

From the CT Post:

BARNUM FESTIVAL

Champions on Parade, scheduled for Saturday night at Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport, will go on.

The Great Street Parade on Sunday will also go on as scheduled.

The storm, however, has affected two Barnum Festival events. The fireworks display originally planned for tonight at Seaside Park has been postponed. A rescheduled date has not been set.

The Barnum Festival did have to cancel the singing of the Swedish Nightingales Jenny Lind concert scheduled Thursday night at the Playhouse On the Green. Officials are coordinating schedules this morning to try to find a date and time, hopefully this weekend, when both young ladies are still in town, to reschedule the performance.

And, The Park City Pride will be rehearsing tonight at the Champions on Parade site.

Fusion is supposed to practice at Seaside Park tomorrow. Did the storm effect the park that bad?

Fusion is supposed to practice at Seaside Park tomorrow. Did the storm effect the park that bad?

Seaside is mostly open park space. Open fields with very few structures or tree's. I doubt there will be a problem.

Also, I don't think flooding or mud will be an issue. The storm only lasted 10 minutes or so. Other than that, it has been a very dry summer in CT. so far. Not much rain this year.

This is the perfect time for the Barnum Festival Society to reach out to all the residents of Bridgeport. The back side of the stadium has been empty for years. Either give those seats away or charge a very minimal price for families or kids to educate them on this great activity known as Drum & Bugle Corps. It's a win-win situation.

This is the perfect time for the Barnum Festival Society to reach out to all the residents of Bridgeport. The back side of the stadium has been empty for years. Either give those seats away or charge a very minimal price for families or kids to educate them on this great activity known as Drum & Bugle Corps. It's a win-win situation.

Sounds good. I have no problem with (lets say) $5 or $10 seats.

P.T. Barnum is famous for coining the phrase "the show must go on".

PT Barnum is actually famous for coining the phrase "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute."

And who on DCP is not familiar with THAT phrase?