Madison Scouts 2010 Cymbal Discussion

Ironic for a corps that thumps it's chest about "brotherhood", no?

Well, the scouts do a lot more than thump their chest about it, trust me. But if someone accuses the corps of lying, they better produce some evidence. Cymbal line = guard-on-symbols. No way. Not even close.

According to Bill Leslie, who does a ton of volunteer work for the Scouts and pretty much epitomizes the word "brotherhood", the guy was offered a spot. To him, it was more important to be a cymbal player than to be a Scout. That's his decision. But don't come back talking about lying and betrayal when there was nothing of the sort.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the scouts do a lot more than thump their chest about it, trust me. But if someone accuses the corps of lying, they better produce some evidence. Cymbal line = guard-on-symbols. No way. Not even close.

According to Bill Leslie, who does a ton of volunteer work for the Scouts and pretty much epitomizes the word "brotherhood", the guy was offered a spot. To him, it was more important to be a cymbal player than to be a Scout. That's his decision. But don't come back talking about lying and betrayal when there was nothing of the sort.

And there is the other side of this story. If he was offered a spot, then he should have taken it and maybe he could have "lead" the guard in the cymbal part.

See, this is why it's really not our business. There is always another side to the story... :tongue:

I see it as a cymbal line. Maybe they could have come out for only those 60 or so seconds and played and then done something else in the show.

Phantom has their Spirit guide, who only plays solos for major parts of their show, which I bet will change...

Point is that these member could have done other things in the show.

I understand your point, I really do. However, under the membership restraints of the activity, you only have so many positions to work with. If you want more guard members or more hornline members, they have to come from somewhere.

I'll ask the OP, again, what you want from the organization or the alumni, or in general. What can be done to make this "right" in your eyes?

Your position has been abundantly clear since the first post . . .but if you're only here to berate the same point over and over, without some sort of avenue for discussion . . .I really don't think we're going to accomplish a lot with this thread.

As an additional observation, we're coming dangerously close to having to close this. Folks, let's try to tamp down the snark at each other. It doesn't accomplish anything but to raise hackles and loses sight of the original issue.

I want discussion I don't expect the corps to change what they are doing. But I feel when something like the happens it should be disscussed. It isn't as big as the G7 debate but at least talked about a little

I understand your point, I really do. However, under the membership restraints of the activity, you only have so many positions to work with. If you want more guard members or more hornline members, they have to come from somewhere.

Well that begs the question: "Are the Madison Scouts marching 150 members this year?"

I think a picture is becoming clear here to many. It sounds like the cymbals wanted to be cymbal players but could have still participated in another capacity had they chosen to do so.

I'll just go back into lurker mode for now and let this one run its course.

I'll ask the OP, again, what you want from the organization or the alumni, or in general. What can be done to make this "right" in your eyes?

I'm only speaking for myself here. Sometimes there isn't easy option that would make things right. Sometimes the only real resolution is acceptance of the situation. But I've found that acceptance almost always comes easier once I've spoken up and released my feelings, instead of holding them inside.

Let me address the OP and see if we can cut to the chase here. If the corps had told you, "we're going to have cymbals for sixty seconds in the show and the rest of the time you'll be doing something else, probably in the guard," would you have accepted those conditions? Would you have been happy, especially since you have stated that cymbals are your purpose in life, or whatever it was (sorry I don't recall the exact language)?

Edited by dmfootworks

iwhy would I take a different spot? Why fill a hole with someone that doesn't know what they are doing when I know someone who can actually play or dance could be the one in that spot. I couldn't live knowing that someone that loves guard or loves playing the trumpet could be there instead. That is more being a scout than marching for them would be.

I don't think the guys were offered the option of cymbals for a small section and something else for the rest of the show. I get the impression they were offered spots, possibly pit or learning guard/horn?

Maybe if the original phone call had said "We are only marching a cymbal line for one minute of the show, you can take the spot but we'll ask you to do XXXX for the rest of the show", that might have opened a dialog and given some options. This is a stretch...but maybe even a phone call in May that said "hey guys, we just wanted to let you know the guard will be playing cymbals for one minute of the show, we didn't have this originally planned but we wanted you to be aware etc etc".

Showing up at a show and seeing someone play the instrument that was cut....with no explanation....is cause for confusion.

Let me address the OP and see if we can cut to the chase here. If the corps had told you, "we're going to have cymbals for sixty seconds in the show and the rest of the time you'll be doing something else, probably in the guard," would you have accepted those conditions? Would you have been happy, especially since you have stated that cymbals are your purpose in life, or whatever it was (sorry I don't recall the exact language)?

I would have accepted it but I wouldn't have been happy