No "pre-show" for DCA, please

I think in many cases pre-show's can be effective in setting the mood for a show. As a spectator I don't mind them as long as they make sense. As a performer I don't mind them as long as they don't exhaust me before we actually get to the real show. Example if a corps were doing an Irish/Scottish show (Kitlies take note), I think it would be pretty cool to enter the field with bagpipes as long as they didn't start squaking during the actual performance. (I can't take that much bagpipe)

Using non-drum corps instruments and/or electronics in pre-show? meh. Like I said, if it fits go ahead, but be prepared to take the penalty if any bleeds over to the performance.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The earliest "rolling start" I remember was Sky under Butch Anderson at a Clifton Grand Prix, in the 80s I'd guess.....warm-up was the "I Love New York" NY Visitors Bureau ditty from the TV commercial........right into a Butch Anderson salute----the gun----and powerful first notes of "Slaughter".......WOW, if the wind was blowing east, they probably heard it on 10th Ave, too!

It's the latest DCI gimick. I remember bush playing the recorded Russian music pre-show. That was good, it set the tone nicely.

some of Empire's moving warmups would be considered preshows

in fact, Empire 01 was one of the best done....tho I liked the version Ron Abate did the day of finals

I really dislike the whole idea behind a "preshow". First the flying start, now preshow. I see it at high school competitions all the time and really despise it. Face the back field, or front if you want, do your basic 1 minute warm-up just to get the chops moving again and to let the corps hear the "acoustics" of the stadium. Set, wait for the announcement, and perform your backside off for the fans.

Think KISS..Keep It Simple Stupid! Do only what is necessary to be ready to perform and wow the fans. No need for a preshow.

I really dislike the whole idea behind a "preshow". First the flying start, now preshow. I see it at high school competitions all the time and really despise it. Face the back field, or front if you want, do your basic 1 minute warm-up just to get the chops moving again and to let the corps hear the "acoustics" of the stadium. Set, wait for the announcement, and perform your backside off for the fans.

Think KISS..Keep It Simple Stupid! Do only what is necessary to be ready to perform and wow the fans. No need for a preshow.

times are a changin'

its that simple.

some of Empire's moving warmups would be considered preshows

you quoted me, but I didn't say a word about moving warm-ups. That's not the kind of pre-show they're talking about. Think violins, saxes, dancing bears, jugglers, ponies, mimes etc. I almost forgot the clowns.....

Edited by Mike_B

you quoted me, but I didn't say a word about moving warm-ups. That's not the kind of pre-show they're talking about. Think violins, saxes, dancing bears, jugglers, ponies, mimes etc. I almost forgot the clowns.....

LOL>.....we've seen dancing bears, ponies, jugglers, mimes, smoke, statues moving, boats rowing, you name it in DCA already...lol... :tongue:

The KISS (Keep it simple stupid) is....stupid. Why would you want a simple show? The more complex (and if pulled off decently) the better the show. Crowds like pre-show stuff....anything simple, is boring.

......and CowBell......there's never enough CowBell...............

But seriously....where did this come from and why? Seems to me like someone wants to open up a can of worms that doesn't exist. Only pre-show I remember is the National Anthem of the U.S. and Canada. Just sayin..........