Stanford Brewery

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the mirrors make for some great visual effects, but musically this show is losing me on pace with 08-09

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, but I just do not like this show... not even a little bit.

the mirrors make for some great visual effects, but musically this show is losing me on pace with 08-09

Yeah, music isn't doing much for me either. Maybe it's just because I really liked SCV, BK, and Troopers, but this music book isn't holding my attention for the most part

My review of the Stanford, CA show by corps. Feel free to comment on my reviews.

San Fransisco Renegades:

Screaming.....not much else going on here.....and where there was screaming, it was bad....ouch

Revolution:

Their hornline is a lot smaller than last year. I counted 23 horns, I think they had around 40 last year.....4 Basses, 6 Snares, 3 Quads, 3 cymbals, 18ish guard, 11 or 12 in pit. Nice sound sound for a small hornline. Decently clean boxes and lines for open class at this point. Hornline numbers seems to be the only thing holding them back. Music later in the show needs a lot of cleaning, lots of blending issues and balance issues. I'm Guessing a 63.9 for them.

Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets:

Is it just me or does SCVC's hornline look smaller too....45 marching horn members and I see 3 holes...8 snares, 4 tenors, 5 basses, 4 cymbals. Intonation and tuning issues...I have a feeling these will be worked out during the season though, and wont be an issue since they are not going to finals. They stood in a double arc not playing for a bit, I assume some visuals will be added. Excellent percussion as always from SCVC, and they seem to be showing it off with a lot of percussion features in the show. Nice clean forms for this point of the season, but endurance issues from the brass towards the end. Good work so far from SCVC, good overall performance, I look forward to seeing this later in the season. I guess a 68.

Blue Devils B:

62 Marching horns, I see 2 holes and possibly a contra hole. 25ish guard, 13ish pit, 9 snares, 5 basses, 5 quads, and 6 cymbals (thats a lot). Cleanest corps so far, music and drill. No one can contest with them because of their sheer numbers. Forms need to stick together between the sets, straight paths needed. Lots of spacing issues in the cymbal line, a hole keeps appearing and disappearing. Space chords.....in a show dealing with space....I like the humor. Trumpet blending and mello blending within section in the ballads need work. Actually, ballad needs work as a whole musically. Some of the curving sets look very nice in standstills, obviously spent extra time on them. Lot of percussion work independent of brass in this show as well. Clean up the end of the show musically on the runs, and visually all around and I think we have our open class champs...again. I guess a 70.3.

Blue Devils C:

I am interested to see what the youth drum corps marchers are like in CA. 6 Snares, 3 Tenors, 5 Basses, 22 horns, 16ish guard, 6ish pit. Its always nice to see youngsters getting into drum corps. It would be interesting to see what corps they grow up to march in. Cute little trumpet solo. Yo ho yo ho, a pirates life for me.

Pacific Crest:

Woah, huge first hit, right off the bat. First number seems more visually strong, over music. A loud out of tune trumpet during end of first movement. Interesting trumpet solo. Nice straight lines. The drill is really clean for what I am used to seeing from Pacific Crest this early in the season. As soon as they get the music where the drill is, I can see them getting a decent score and even as high as 14th maybe this season. I don't think full show is on field. Good show so far. I would guess a 65 only because of no closer, otherwise it would be around 70 if closer was that clean.

Mandarins:

Drill and music need cleaned a lot. Not nearly as good as Pacific Crest. I would guess a score of 63.5.

Blue Knights:

Brass line sounds fantastic. Brass is definitely there, now all they need is to clean up the drill. Its going to be a fight this year to make finals, I think they will probably make it to the cleanliness needed eventually. Pitch on some of the big chords need slight tweaking. I like the ending. My guess score is a 71.9.

Troopers:

Cool opening sequence of drill. Nice high brass sound, and rounded out by the low brass perfectly. Troopers are on a mission this year, huge brass sound. Pit is loud, but the speakers are right next to the mic's. A lot of line issues in standing sets. They need to work on the formations that they stand in a lot, if they make those look pretty, the score they get will skyrocket. I ton of holes on the field at the moment, at least 6 brass, some percussion and guard. Guard needs a lot of work. Hardly anyone is together, its extremely distracting to the performance. The standstill brass hits are perfect, in tune and loud, moving and playing needs work though. Screamer trumpet soloist needs work, maybe a bad night. With this level of performance, they will not be making finals again unless they can pick it up. Lots of good corps this year. I guess a score of 69.2

Santa Clara Vanguard:

Interesting opening drill, like snakes. I see at least 2 brass holes. There's that SCV sound. Fancy circle drill incorporated into the drill, interesting. Runs within sections could be cleaner, more together. I am not sure how I like the corcles moving around, doesn't expose the drill to have errors. Brass needs work on playing together at parts. Its really messy sounding. Some interesting drill, somewhat innovative and different compared to recent corps. The music doesn't seem fit for a drum corps show, I am losing interest, way too much piano and synth...I really wish they would just let the percussion and brass play. End of show is not on field yet, can't wait to see/hear it. I guess a 76.0.

Blue Devils:

Interesting use of the mirrors. Epic brass sound. Form at the end of the first song needs cleaned. Very cool visual effects and drill happening. Clean drill for this point. The mirrors are a lot better prop than the chairs in my opinion. Amazing music, or amazing drill happening, not both at the same time; typical BD. Overall, not a fan this year....sorry BD. Not breaking 80 today, 79.3 is my guess

Yeah, music isn't doing much for me either. Maybe it's just because I really liked SCV, BK, and Troopers, but this music book isn't holding my attention for the most part

BD's shows over the lastfew years all sound the same to me.

And perc2100, love the sig. :blink:

cut that transition into Los Suertos in half, give us more of the whole tune, and the ending will be light years better.

on whole...visually it looks great. musically...eh