Thunderous Goo

This isn't rock science. If the judges think it is overdone, used ineffectively, used to bouy a weak low brass section or just bad....it should reflect on the sheets, then the corps reads them and make changes....hopefully. If the show is built around screaming electronics and it sucks (and is beyond repair)....oh well!

The DCI BOD allowed electronics; How they are used is up to the design teams and how it is recieved by fans and judges. Keep in mind that some on DCP (who are long in the tooth) may hear a dentist drill when they hear electronics on the field while a younger audience may hear a more complete sound.

NOTE: As others have suggested, having a professionally trained sound engineer (allowed) is critical. Having been in a rock band years ago, I speak from experience when I say, the sound engineer can make you or break you!

Edited by Plan9

I've got the perfect solution. Have a horn guy run the mixing board.

Exactly!!!

It really is a two person job unless they're going to start puting the mixing board in the stands. I firmly believe half the problem is the sound guy can't hear what the audience is hearing. Do they stick the mixing board at a rock concert 10 feet in front of the stage? No, it's a hundred yards back in the middle of the crowd, for good reason.

It really is a two person job unless they're going to start puting the mixing board in the stands. I firmly believe half the problem is the sound guy can't hear what the audience is hearing. Do they stick the mixing board at a rock concert 10 feet in front of the stage? No, it's a hundred yards back in the middle of the crowd, for good reason.

Excellent point!

Most shows have a spot designated for the sound 'tech' now (and if there's not a spot typically each corps sends someone to an area near the judges). Most of them use Bluetooth headsets and communicate with the staff member on the field running the mixer for balance issues.

But I agree - even knowing that corps have sound techs working together on this, they must have different ears for me because most of the time I feel like the electronics are WAY overbalanced.

Odd how you contradict yourself in your own post. Because of that, I truly hope this is a sarcastic and "humorous" attempt from you.

Do people not get sarcasm anymore? It was pretty clear to me that the poster was poking fun at the ever-increasing attempts to create esoteric shows.

This isn't rock science. If the judges think it is overdone, used ineffectively, used to bouy a weak low brass section or just bad....it should reflect on the sheets, then the corps reads them and make changes....hopefully. If the show is built around screaming electronics and it sucks (and is beyond repair)....oh well!

First of all, what is rock science? Is that a new way to say geology? minerology? is that even a word??? :tongue:

Secondly, I have yet to see evidence of a judge actually making a call, so to speak, about poorly done bass synths, or any electronics for that matter.

And lastly, and really the only thing that matters to me - If a corps plays a huge impact, and the synth is louder than the hornline, i dont clap....not even once. I cant think of anything more ridiculous and actually downright degrading to the 60 or 80 members of that hornline who run, do PT, breathing block, and bust their ##### every day to play loud as balls during a physically exhausting show to have all their efforts covered up by a guy hitting a button, with what I am sure must be his middle finger. Sometimes that means I dont even clap for my own corps (granted, it was the first show of the year), but oh well.

Is that you Hoppy?

AKA: Lord of the Synth