Low-End Synth

Low-End Synth  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Considering DCI's current set of rules, how do you feel about the use of low-end synth?

• I wish it was used more.
    • I like how it has been used and really adds to the shows.
    • I am indifferent.
    • It shoud be used less than it currently is.
    • It should never be used.
    • What Low-End Synth?

one of the least pleasing things to hear in conjunction with music is wharrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmawobbbbbllllllleuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, and I get a lot of that from the synths.

Wow; and here I thought you were referring to Hopkins walking through the parking attempting to describe the 2011 concept proposal to some potential corporate sponsors.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with Lance. I loved SCV live, but I can't listen to the cd now

Well at least DCI is modeling itself after the U.S. Senate.

Awesome. I knew you and I could agree on something.

My last note on this go round: Is the synth sound driving people away? YES. It drove me and my son away this year. We live 5 minutes form the Dubuque show and didn't go last night, FOR THAT VERY REASON. Synth sound isn't drum corps TO ME, so I DON'T GO. Did it drive me away? YES. Case closed. Except for those 21 people, who are most likely staff and judges that actually like low end rumble in an acoustic setting.

Except for those 21 people, who are most likely staff and judges that actually like low end rumble in an acoustic setting.

closed.

So there were only 21 people in the stands at the Dubuque show! Oh My!!!!!!!!!!!

My last note on this go round: Is the synth sound driving people away? YES. It drove me and my son away this year. We live 5 minutes form the Dubuque show and didn't go last night, FOR THAT VERY REASON. Synth sound isn't drum corps TO ME, so I DON'T GO. Did it drive me away? YES. Case closed.

Now that I can respect: A person who lives up to their standards by no longer going to shows ... congratulations, and welcome to the ever-growing club of This Is Not Drum Corps To Me ... the other members of the club are: Amplification is Not Drum Corps To Me, Bb Horns are Not Drum Corps To Me, Grounded Pits are Not Drum Corps To Me, Dancing Guards are not Drum Corps To Me, Tonal Bass Drums are Not Drum Corps To Me, ... The club is having a wonderful clinic next week entitled: The use of tennis balls on walkers is Not Drum Corps To Me! I will join you if the G7 proposal goes into effect as Hop and Gibbs wrote it :)

Edited by Stu

… congratulations, and welcome to the ever-growing club of This Is Not Drum Corps To Me ...

We look forward to you joining the next iteration . . ."Woodwinds are not drum corps to me".

We have a feeling it might be the biggest club yet. :sad:

We look forward to you joining the next iteration . . ."Woodwinds are not drum corps to me".

We have a feeling it might be the biggest club yet. :sad:

I'd agree with that. While close to 80% of DCP'ers polled here believe that low- end syths usage should either be lessened in use or even banned outright, my hunch is that a similar poll asking fans about the use of woodwinds for field competition would show less than 10-15% support, with approx. 85-90 % opposed to it's useage. Except within a small cadre of DCI power brokers, there is little appetite or support within the DCI engaged fan base community for the use of woodwinds in field competition.

Edited by BRASSO

Don't hate me cause I marched in the 70's; however, adding keyboards to the ensemble completely changes what a drum and bugle corps is and the sound it once produced. I do appreciate most changes that have taken place...Bb horns...movement in the color guard....etc...etc.... but the synth takes away the credibility of the horn line and musicianship of its players. Being an ex contra/tuba player, I am extremely dissappointed. The volume button is just too easy. To me it is equivalent to the easy button for effect. I guess I can't really add to what has already been said. I can say what it has done to me and that is reduce my respect for the activity. Don't hate me for it, don't accuse me of diss'ing the hard sweat and work of current members, and no, I don't eat babies for breakfast. It is just how I currently feel and that will not change as long as synth's are used in this activity. If the young band kids like it and they are buying all the souvies and filling the stands...then I guess there is nothing I can do but move on.