Low-End Synth

Low-End Synth  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Considering DCI's current set of rules, how do you feel about the use of low-end synth?

• I wish it was used more.
    • I like how it has been used and really adds to the shows.
    • I am indifferent.
    • It shoud be used less than it currently is.
    • It should never be used.
    • What Low-End Synth?

I could be wrong, but I 'd put the overwhelming vast majority of long time fans in the activity that have left following the activity in the " No"camp for the introduction of synthetically produced sounds in Drum Corps Competition. We'll never really know for certain, but I WOULD bet the farm that most would be decidely and virulently "no " on the use. The key now for the Drum Corps activity is to replace these fans with those who support the use of artificially produced sounds in judged Drum Corps competitions. The book is out on that right now in it's ability to do so. Time will tell.

I agree that most of the long time fans, the people DCI refers to as the Legacy fans, would more than likely go into the No category for electronics; and I would also say that they are very vocal about their distaste. But even though a drop in DCI attendance has occurred over the years, there is still about the same percentage of those Legacy fans in the stands. And there is no good way to gauge why many people, of all ages, have stopped going to DCI shows. You said that you would bet the farm; well I would bet my farm (if I had one) that maybe a small fraction stay away due to the electronics, but the best explanation of drops in attendance in DCI reflects the drops in attendance at all of the other major non drum corps events and sports venues all across the country: A combination of economic issues along with the advent of thousands of other things a person can now do with their expendable income.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the biggest factor in the decline in attendance, ( if there is one, we haven't officially been told ), is the decline in the number of corps and their marching members parents and family and friends. Less corps = less kids exposed= less family attendance of shows= less corps ==== But, which came first? Decline in corps or decline in fans? Simple?

I just don't see using synths as "cutting edge" in any way.

This.

Electric instruments are new for DCI, but not cutting edge in any way. Synths were available for use in DCI's inaugural season. For some reason, DCI didn't seem to think that they belonged in the activity for over 30 years. Now, all of a sudden, corps are disastrously limited in their creative potential without the use of these and other electronic instruments. How on earth did corps survive and put on entertaining shows without guys on keyboards doubling the contra part for all of these years?

I would say the biggest factor in the decline in attendance, ( if there is one, we haven't officially been told ), is the decline in the number of corps and their marching members parents and family and friends. Less corps = less kids exposed= less family attendance of shows= less corps ==== But, which came first? Decline in corps or decline in fans? Simple?

Good point.

Which is why DCI focusing marketing efforts on the scholastic music programs for both future members and audience makes sense.

That is a constantly 'renewable' source of people, and it will create a new set of legacy fans. The current legacy people are a declining number, if only based on what you say. The newer legacy fans will have grown up with amps, guitars, synths, Bb/F, etc...

I would agree that simply having electronic instruments is not "cutting-edge" or innovative in and of itself. It all depends on how they are used. If all a corps is doing is using synth for occasional special effect or doubling bass lines, then no, it's not particularly innovative at all.

There are, however, corps out there using electronics in ways that go far beyond what most folks (including myself) have complaints about. Those corps are doing things never sean or heard before at this high level. You may have to look around a bit, but they are there.

Which is why DCI focusing marketing efforts on the scholastic music programs for both future members and audience makes sense.

That is a constantly 'renewable' source of people, and it will create a new set of legacy fans. The current legacy people are a declining number, if only based on what you say. The newer legacy fans will have grown up with amps, guitars, synths, Bb/F, etc...

The issue there is that scholastic band programs around the nation are also on the membership decline; so the renewable source that you are referencing is also shrinking.

That's great......but hasn't the scholastic music programs been the marketing focus of DCI for years now??? How's that turning out?