What will happen to Open Class.

See the article here:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4...fd-5aa854f91ba0

This is one of the links to the G7 documents that have already been posted on this site.

This reference is, of course, not to the G7 proposal, but to the DCI "strategic plan".

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the article here:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4...fd-5aa854f91ba0

This is one of the links to the G7 documents that have already been posted on this site.

Yes, this is not the right link. I just went to search the G7 proposal and the link is down...Bawker...some help please?? But I don't remember any pro-forma participation estimates in the G7's tome.

But staying with the 6000 member participants-idea for a bit, this seems a bit misleading. 6000/150 is 40; let's say 45 corps. Aren't there 43 active corps in all classes now?

Edited by garfield

So after reading all that info on the whole G7 deal, It says that all other open class corps besides scvc, bdb, and colt cadets will not be supported by DCI, so would there even be a point in competing if there is no "open class corps sanctioned events". It said the can attend and play but will there be any advantage for the remaining open class corps whatsoever? Will they move to DCA maybe? I would just like to know what will happen. If anyone has any idea please let me know. If it already explained in one of the articles please show me where and I apologize for missing it. But why let so many good corps go?

Open-class doesn't get ANY financial support now anyway from DCI as it was explained to me. In terms of other types of support I'm not certain. DCI is not EVEN going to offer the BIG 5 next year(2011) as it has now evolved into the BIG 3. It's the beginning of the end for open-class survival in my opinion. It really makes me sad to say that 5 years from now open-class won't even exist IMO.

Open-class doesn't get ANY financial support now anyway from DCI as it was explained to me. In terms of other types of support I'm not certain. DCI is not EVEN going to offer the BIG 5 next year(2011) as it has now evolved into the BIG 3. It's the beginning of the end for open-class survival in my opinion. It really makes me sad to say that 5 years from now open-class won't even exist IMO.

Sorry, but wrong on both counts. Or all three, for that matter.

Open class corps get paid for show attendance and performance, albeit at a greatly reduced rate than the WC finalists. Open class gets a tremendous amount from DCI, the organization.

I have more optimism for the Open class mostly because of what you've said: Open class gets little financial support, so it seems they are more self-supporting in both their costs and revenues. Hence a greater chance of survival without DCI. It's the other, non-financial, support that will be missed, but overcome.

And three, I've heard of the demise of OC for years, and I even ignored them for the first 15 of my 35 years. But they're still here, plugging, doing good things on small(er) budgets. They'll survive just fine, and probably have healthier growth as a result.

Just to make sure I am reading this right.

It is the G7 proposal that jettisons the Open Class.

The DCI business plan talks about more corps and new corps (presumably in the Open Class) and an Open Class promotion strategy. That does not sound to me like DCI is giving up on the Open Class.

Sorry, but wrong on both counts. Or all three, for that matter.

Open class corps get paid for show attendance and performance, albeit at a greatly reduced rate than the WC finalists. Open class gets a tremendous amount from DCI, the organization.

I have more optimism for the Open class mostly because of what you've said: Open class gets little financial support, so it seems they are more self-supporting in both their costs and revenues. Hence a greater chance of survival without DCI. It's the other, non-financial, support that will be missed, but overcome.

And three, I've heard of the demise of OC for years, and I even ignored them for the first 15 of my 35 years. But they're still here, plugging, doing good things on small(er) budgets. They'll survive just fine, and probably have healthier growth as a result.

I stand corrected. I hope they do survive just fine also.

Darwin will have a lot to say about it. To the degree that artificial selection plays a part though, it's in all of our (Drum corps lovers) best interests to support these groups. They're not the ones telling us they don't need us and can do anything they want with our activity as some of these groups are.

Open-class doesn't get ANY financial support now anyway from DCI as it was explained to me. In terms of other types of support I'm not certain. DCI is not EVEN going to offer the BIG 5 next year(2011) as it has now evolved into the BIG 3.

Do we even know that the five-show ticket package will not be offered? Perhaps it is just a case of waiting for the open-class BOD to confirm the dates, places and format of their 2011 championship week events. Can't sell tickets until you decide those things, and open-class might not be able to make those decisions 15 months in advance like world-class apparently has.

Do we even know that the five-show ticket package will not be offered? Perhaps it is just a case of waiting for the open-class BOD to confirm the dates, places and format of their 2011 championship week events. Can't sell tickets until you decide those things, and open-class might not be able to make those decisions 15 months in advance like world-class apparently has.

Yes this has been PUBLISHED, but perhaps not heavily promoted on the DCI website.

http://www.dci.org/_now/ticket_alerts/20100715_super3.htm

Darwin will have a lot to say about it. To the degree that artificial selection plays a part though, it's in all of our (Drum corps lovers) best interests to support these groups. They're not the ones telling us they don't need us and can do anything they want with our activity as some of these groups are.

Darwin has no vote on the BOD sadly