Barnum Festival

Man how times have changed. In '71 one of Blue Rock's busses broke down on the way to the Shriner's International Contest in Toronto, so about twenty of us piled into the back of the equipment truck. When we hit Customs we could hear the agent say to the truck driver, " Whattya got in the back there?" he pulls up the door to the back of the truck ( which was opened half-way and says, well, some horns, drums, and.....some people... we all yell "hello, Hello, Hello , like the Three Stooges, and the customs agent almost dies laughing. After about two minutes, we're on our way into Canada, with no ID's checked!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your solidarity.

It’s funny, everybody that I talk at Kennedy stadium say the same thing “ you should come by Mexico side”, “said SI, SI rather than OUI, OUI and the gate will open”, that was a LOL!.

But that particular border, is not so occupied and have a couple diplomatic incident in the past. But when we said we where going at Barnum Festival, they search the car and see the music instrument, uniform they knew that we where part of the show. (you know the rest of the story).

We will work harder with Barnum organisation and Parc City Pride next year.

Because we want to come, the Dips use to compete at that stadium in the 70’s, it was a come back for us after 37 year’s in Bridgeport.

We are hopeful that everything will settle in and be back stronger.

Quit? Never! That’s our goal! We are good neighbours since 1534 and it’s not a misinterpretation of a border officer that will destroy that!

See you guy’s soon! Blest every one!

Happy USA day everyone!

Man how times have changed. In '71 one of Blue Rock's busses broke down on the way to the Shriner's International Contest in Toronto, so about twenty of us piled into the back of the equipment truck. When we hit Customs we could hear the agent say to the truck driver, " Whattya got in the back there?" he pulls up the door to the back of the truck ( which was opened half-way and says, well, some horns, drums, and.....some people... we all yell "hello, Hello, Hello , like the Three Stooges, and the customs agent almost dies laughing. After about two minutes, we're on our way into Canada, with no ID's checked!

:tongue: Wow what a difference some #### terrorists make...once after an RCA show in Hamilton? we were on our way back in at Buffalo and agent says anything to declare and I said a drum a bugle and some beer and agent looks at me with long hair and my hung over buddies and laughs his a#@ off as he waves us thru(true story)

I felt good and bad at the same time when members sang to us from the stands as I was in Park City's drumline on the field.

I guess it is like anything else, the person on the job the day you encounter any organization, can make life easier or harder based on their own mentality. Just like calling customer service, you can get a great representative or a useless one.

Hopefully this prepares us all to avoid such misfortune in the future. Sorry I couldnt see Les Dips in CT.

Les Dips at Bgpt 1971

8483595_6520dfcca7.jpg

Ronald, are you the contra player who had a conversation with a white hired guy in Dinosaur BBQ two years ago???? Man, may wife and I so enjoyed your enthusiasm and the corps show.......continued success to you and Les Dips...bon chance mon ami.

Thank you for your solidarity.

It’s funny, everybody that I talk at Kennedy stadium say the same thing “ you should come by Mexico side”, “said SI, SI rather than OUI, OUI and the gate will open”, that was a LOL!.

But that particular border, is not so occupied and have a couple diplomatic incident in the past. But when we said we where going at Barnum Festival, they search the car and see the music instrument, uniform they knew that we where part of the show. (you know the rest of the story).

We will work harder with Barnum organisation and Parc City Pride next year.

Because we want to come, the Dips use to compete at that stadium in the 70’s, it was a come back for us after 37 year’s in Bridgeport.

We are hopeful that everything will settle in and be back stronger.

Quit? Never! That’s our goal! We are good neighbours since 1534 and it’s not a misinterpretation of a border officer that will destroy that!

See you guy’s soon! Blest every one!

Reminds me of the time back in 1965. Skyliners on our way to a contest in Montreal. We get to the border about 7:00 AM. Those who weren't playing cards are sleeping. Wink's wakes everyone up telling them to make sure you're nice, no funny business, that all they'll do is ask where were you born and we'll be on our way. Well??? We had this guy, french horn, Charlie Abella. The agent asks, "And where were you born?". Charlie's response? "Malta." the agent looks, and says, "Okay everybody of the bus." 2 and 1/2 hours later we're back on the bus.

Maybe one better than that one - never tell a bunch of teenagers they need to behave going across the border without including "or else":

Crossing into Canada late one night -

Agent: "Is everyone a citizen of the United States"?

Voice from the back abyss: "Si"

Agent: "Everyone including Paco, off the bus"!

Reminds me of the time back in 1965. Skyliners on our way to a contest in Montreal. We get to the border about 7:00 AM. Those who weren't playing cards are sleeping. Wink's wakes everyone up telling them to make sure you're nice, no funny business, that all they'll do is ask where were you born and we'll be on our way. Well??? We had this guy, french horn, Charlie Abella. The agent asks, "And where were you born?". Charlie's response? "Malta." the agent looks, and says, "Okay everybody of the bus." 2 and 1/2 hours later we're back on the bus.

I assume he meant Malta, New York???

Last night I grabbed my 2007 Alumni DVD on the way downstairs to the exercise bike (I can watch 3 alumni or four competing corps during my typical workout).

I so thoroughly enjoyed Les Dips "first appearance on US soil in 38 years." I'll be catching up with 2008 tonight.

Joe