Barnum Festival

The agent asks, "And where were you born?". Charlie's response? "Malta." the agent looks, and says, "Okay everybody of the bus." 2 and 1/2 hours later we're back on the bus.

Man, that story brings back memories as it happened more than once. We had this Japanese born mellophone player with Canadian citizenship ...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ronald, are you the contra player who had a conversation with a white hired guy in Dinosaur BBQ two years ago???? Man, may wife and I so enjoyed your enthusiasm and the corps show.......continued success to you and Les Dips...bon chance mon ami.

Hy Jim,

I'm not a contra player but I was with my friend Alan, that is a contra player, when we met at Dynosaur BBQ, I'm a Bass Drum player. ( is the same as a contra but with mallet, lol)

I play Bass # 4 at DCA Alumni in 2007 and 2009, in 2008 I play Ténor (quint) but I'm back on my Bass Drum # 4 this year!

Soon, we gonna put a vidéo of our 2010 show! We are better this year!

The 2010 show is groovy!

The Intro, is strong and settle the show, the second piece is Mack the knife with all corps dancing, follow by Moon Dance (swing style Michael Buble version) and Paint in Black (Rock Style) from the Rolling Stone, than a soft one from West Side Story, Somewhere (Barbara Streisand verson) and a powerfull ending call Touski (our own brass & drum composition from the staff). Touski is french for (Give all you have left).

Our Parade song is UP from Shania Twain and Besoin pour vivre from Claude Dubois.

That's about it!

We gonna celebrate our 5th anniversary next year.

We hope to cross border and celebrate together that special year at DCA or else where!

Best regard everyone!

My son was travelling back & forth & didn't have a problem. If he was going to camp, we always made sure he had an itinerary for it, since they sometimes asked. He always made it clear that he was not getting paid. Maybe DCI & DCA can work at getting some special forms made up in conjuntion with the border agencies, so that there is never any arguement over the purpose of the visit going north or south. I know Tom Peashey has a horror story on the Patriots equipment truck going over the border in the late 90's. :smile:

PS... I was not aware that Les Diplomates are around once again. I have friends who were associated with Les Metropolitains.

Edited by DrumCorpsMom

My son was travelling back & forth & didn't have a problem. If he was going to camp, we always made sure he had an itinerary for it, since they sometimes asked. He always made it clear that he was not getting paid. Maybe DCI & DCA can work at getting some special forms made up in conjuntion with the border agencies, so that there is never any arguement over the purpose of the visit going north or south. I know Tom Peashey has a horror story on the Patriots equipment truck going over the border in the late 90's. :smile:

PS... I was not aware that Les Diplomates are around once again. I have friends who were associated with Les Metropolitains.

Yes Cathy, the Dips are back since 2006.

A few member of Les Diplomates including my self was marching with Les Metropolitains of Montreal.

Check our web site; www.lesdiplomates.org or facebook for some picture and video.

Those golden year's of Drum Corps, before 9/11, was easyer to cross border.

The security and the economic situation make it harder. We have and official invitation and a schedule of that weekend organize by the drum corps community and Barnum Festival.

Last week they was a competition in Glennfall, NY, 4 h drive from Montreal, some of my friend where stop again and search for instrument and uniform in the car when they said they where going to see a drum corps contest.

They have to show the ticket of that event, before they let it go.

Time have change!

If it makes any of you standing on the other side of the border feel any better, I'm having a bear of a time getting a passport.

who knew there was a big important difference between a "Birth Certificate" and a "Certificate of Birth"?

Been protecting and using that little piece of paper for 52 years - I feel so......cheap and dirty.

:thumbdown:

ahhhhhhhhh, so you are taller than Alan, oui???? Glad to hear the show......sounds like we won't be disappointed.....looking forward to enjoying your performance and perhaps we'll share a few Labatt's or 30.............vive la Quebec....a votre sante

Hy Jim,

I'm not a contra player but I was with my friend Alan, that is a contra player, when we met at Dynosaur BBQ, I'm a Bass Drum player. ( is the same as a contra but with mallet, lol)

I play Bass # 4 at DCA Alumni in 2007 and 2009, in 2008 I play Ténor (quint) but I'm back on my Bass Drum # 4 this year!

Soon, we gonna put a vidéo of our 2010 show! We are better this year!

The 2010 show is groovy!

The Intro, is strong and settle the show, the second piece is Mack the knife with all corps dancing, follow by Moon Dance (swing style Michael Buble version) and Paint in Black (Rock Style) from the Rolling Stone, than a soft one from West Side Story, Somewhere (Barbara Streisand verson) and a powerfull ending call Touski (our own brass & drum composition from the staff). Touski is french for (Give all you have left).

Our Parade song is UP from Shania Twain and Besoin pour vivre from Claude Dubois.

That's about it!

We gonna celebrate our 5th anniversary next year.

We hope to cross border and celebrate together that special year at DCA or else where!

Best regard everyone!

If it makes any of you standing on the other side of the border feel any better, I'm having a bear of a time getting a passport.

who knew there was a big important difference between a "Birth Certificate" and a "Certificate of Birth"?

Been protecting and using that little piece of paper for 52 years - I feel so......cheap and dirty.

:thumbdown:

A while ago I lost my passport and had to get a new one. I gave them a copy of my "Certificate of Birth" which was a copy of the original. They had no problem with the "Certificate of Birth" even though it was a copy. About 6 months ago my passport was accidently thrown out. I couldn't find my "Certificate of Birth" so I sent for a "Birth Certificate" from the town where I was born. When I presented the "Birth Certificate" to the clerk she said, "This isn't any good". I said, "It has a raised symbol". She said, "Okay." and accepted it. It was sent in with my application and I had no problem. My passport arrived in 2 and 1/2 - 3 weeks. So I'm wondering what is the cause of the hard time you're going through.

If you're traveling to Canada via ground transportation you can use a passport card which is about the size of a credit card. You canNOT use the passport card if you are traveling internationally by air (say vacations to Europe, the Caribbean, etc.). I think you can use the passport card if you're flying into Canada from the US but Check with the airline before you get your boarding pass and the ticket counter.

Edited by NYSkyliner

A while ago I lost my passport and had to get a new one. I gave them a copy of my "Certificate of Birth" which was a copy of the original. They had no problem with the "Certificate of Birth" even though it was a copy. About 6 months ago my passport was accidently thrown out. I couldn't find my "Certificate of Birth" so I sent for a "Birth Certificate" from the town where I was born. When I presented the "Birth Certificate" to the clerk she said, "This isn't any good". I said, "It has a raised symbol". She said, "Okay." and accepted it. It was sent in with my application and I had no problem. My passport arrived in 2 and 1/2 - 3 weeks. So I'm wondering what is the cause of the hard time you're going through.

If you're traveling to Canada via ground transportation you can use a passport card which is about the size of a credit card. You canNOT use the passport card if you are traveling internationally by air (say vacations to Europe, the Caribbean, etc.). I think you can use the passport card if you're flying into Canada from the US but Check with the airline before you get your boarding pass and the ticket counter.

I think there are some other "fine lines" regarding passports. Mostly to do with cruises. I forget what they call it but in essence if you are on a cruise to the Caribbean, as an example, and returning to the port of origin without getting off the ship you may not need a passport.

But.....for about a months worth of beer money it's really a bargain and is good for 10 years. Just sayin........

I think there are some other "fine lines" regarding passports. Mostly to do with cruises. I forget what they call it but in essence if you are on a cruise to the Caribbean, as an example, and returning to the port of origin without getting off the ship you may not need a passport.

But.....for about a months worth of beer money it's really a bargain and is good for 10 years. Just sayin........

FYI...If you're going to get a passport, you better hurry as the price will be going up July 13 for an additional $35.00

I remember a few years ago when I was marching with the Toronto Second Signals (Sigs) drum and bugle corps we were going down to Jamestown, New York for a performance and some of the guys who were traveling in cars were stopped at the border and not allowed across also because they were going to be playing with a drum corps that was being paid and they didn't have any permits to do so.