IIRC, I think that's the Shippingport reactor, I think the first commercial reactor built, retired years ago. Dad worked at Crucible Steel there in town when it was open, then it was just a hulk and practice site where the guards went crazy on us- had to have a guard accompany us to the bathroom for God's sake. I think they were scared of vandalism or something.

I mean yeah, we did strange stuff, but vandalism was pretty much at the bottom on our list of interests....

That 1980 Midland show, off the top of my head....Westshore was there, and won.... we (Sun) were there and finished second..... and I remember seeing the reincarnation of the Yankee Rebels there as well, one of the couple of years they competed wearing cavalry-style uniforms. There was at least one other corps there, but I don't remember who it was.

I do remember that, considering the show was pretty much in the middle of nowhere, there was a pretty decent-sized crowd on hand to cheer on all the corps, and we did a reasonably good performance, considering the bus ride out had basically been a ride from hell. That, as it turned out, was a mere warmup for our ride back to Long Island.... which turned into a full-throttle circus of comedy, depravity, lunacy, idiocy... you name it.

That 1980 Midland show, off the top of my head....Westshore was there, and won.... we (Sun) were there and finished second..... and I remember seeing the reincarnation of the Yankee Rebels there as well, one of the couple of years they competed wearing cavalry-style uniforms. There was at least one other corps there, but I don't remember who it was.

I do remember that, considering the show was pretty much in the middle of nowhere, there was a pretty decent-sized crowd on hand to cheer on all the corps, and we did a reasonably good performance, considering the bus ride out had basically been a ride from hell. That, as it turned out, was a mere warmup for our ride back to Long Island.... which turned into a full-throttle circus of comedy, depravity, lunacy, idiocy... you name it.

Might have been Ohio Brass Factory, but if it was a DCA show... maybe not O.B.F...... We were doing the "ICA" thing in those years... by 83 we DID do a Midland PA. show..... hmmm........too long ago to remember... safe bet we weren't there in 80. (nevermind.) :)

Midland PA DCA

Position Corps Score

1 Westshoremen 72.950

2 Sunrisers 70.700

3 Hanover Lancers 45.400

4 Yankee Rebels 44.200

Many of you are Drum Corps alums and I bet there are some great stories both from the hey days of each town having a Drum Corps through today; what was your favorite show (where you performed) and why? As a member of what corps?

1972 DCA Championship Finals as a member of the Hamburg Kingsmen - my first DCA competition and a MEMORABLE night in Jersey City.

2002 DCA Mini Corps Championships as a member of the Erie Thunderbirds - standing there with my homeboys when they announced all of the other scores before ours and we went home as champions.

The bookends to my drum corps career - my first show in 1966 as a member of the Northeast PA Shoreliners and my last performance as a member of the Erie Thunderbirds in 2003 - both performances took place at Veterans Stadium (formerly Academy High School stadium) in Erie. The last man I spoke to that night in 2003 was John "Poopsie" Stadler - RIP.

1972 DCA Championship Finals as a member of the Hamburg Kingsmen - my first DCA competition and a MEMORABLE night in Jersey City.

2002 DCA Mini Corps Championships as a member of the Erie Thunderbirds - standing there with my homeboys when they announced all of the other scores before ours and we went home as champions.

The bookends to my drum corps career - my first show in 1966 as a member of the Northeast PA Shoreliners and my last performance as a member of the Erie Thunderbirds in 2003 - both performances took place at Veterans Stadium (formerly Academy High School stadium) in Erie. The last man I spoke to that night in 2003 was John "Poopsie" Stadler - RIP.

1972 DCA "memorable night"

lol Roger that may be the understatement of your career...

I'm pretty sure Poops was in all of those shows with you Roger,.......................I miss that man.

Edited by Gary Matczak

IIRC, I think that's the Shippingport reactor, I think the first commercial reactor built, retired years ago. Dad worked at Crucible Steel there in town when it was open, then it was just a hulk and practice site where the guards went crazy on us- had to have a guard accompany us to the bathroom for God's sake. I think they were scared of vandalism or something.

I mean yeah, we did strange stuff, but vandalism was pretty much at the bottom on our list of interests....

You're correct about Shippingport's reactor. Known as SAPS (Shippingport Atomic Power Station) whose reactor was supposidly from a nuclear (not nuculor) sub.Adimiral Himan Rickovers pet project. Known as Power Alley there are two stations (beaver Valley Unit 1 and Unit 2) and on the other side of the bridge are 3 coal fired units (Bruce Mansfield).

Remember the parade and shows in Midland (known to locals as Mitlin) and the foundry dust that covered all the vehicles almost completly by days end.

1972 DCA "memorable night"

lol Roger that may be the understatement of your career...

That show sticks in my mind for so many reasons - my first DCA as a marching member - first time in the NYC area - competing at Roosevelt Stadium - fans that only seemed to cheer for Cabs or Sky and sat on their hands for everyone else - so many great corps bunched up at the top - rats the size of Volkswagens running around under the bus - the chaos when the final results were announced - an all night trip back to Buffalo on the bus after the show - pulling into an all-night diner in the middle of nowhere NY around 4 AM with two busloads of mildly intoxicated friends and watching them make two waitresses crazy - and much more.