Wouldn't it be smart?

Wouldn't it be smarter if the shows for the 4th July worked around the major parades? It seems to me like there are many corps that go up to the Baltimore area to march in parades, but the same groups do not participate in the shows. At first I thought it didn't make sense to go all the way up there and not compete, but then I realized that if corps were going up their for the purpose of making money, they could not afford to skip out on the parades for rehearsal time or the show itself.

I propose that the shows on July 4th weekend line-up with major parades. It seems like it would make participating in the show more attractive to corps if they did that. Obviously this would not work every year, but it could have definitely worked this year. If the show was on Friday night, corps could compete and be fresh and then do the parades on Saturday and Sunday. The show sponsor would possibly make more money due to the fact that the show would be bigger. It could almost be a mid-season regional if you get all the corps participating in the Baltimore parades to participate.

Am I crazy, or does this seem like something that could have worked?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT shows on the 4th of July are you referring too?

Many if not all of the DCA corps REFUSE to compete when the holiday falls on a weekend so we can make as much parade money as possible.

Many if not all of the DCA corps REFUSE to compete when the holiday falls on a weekend so we can make as much parade money as possible.

Good point, Jay.

Plus.... after doing two, three, four parades in one day... I'm not sure the corps would have enough gas left in the tank for full-out performances at a night show, and understandably so!

Edited by Fran Haring

Is there not a show today? I was not referring to the actual holiday, just the weekend. Many parades however are also on July 3rd, which is why many are not participating in the show. If the show (for example Rochester, NY) were on Friday, maybe some groups that are participating in the parades would still be be able to participate in the show.

Last year there was another show (either Bristol, Barnum or Bridgeport) that I felt could have been better attended. I'm not being critical (was getting a vibe of frustration from some), but a show could even be moved to around that weekend so that more corps could participate. For instance, there are several southern groups (MCL, Alliance and Sun Devils) that go up and make the trip, but none participate in shows while they are up there.

Sorry if this is confusing. This is not a matter of why groups participate in parades, but why is there not a show in place to capitalize on the quantity of corps in the same location? I am suggesting to place the show over the parades... in fact, I am suggesting the opposite. Work around the parades and place the show wherever the major parades aren't... this year, Friday would have been a great day!

Sorry if this is confusing. This is not a matter of why groups participate in parades, but why is there not a show in place to capitalize on the quantity of corps in the same location? I am suggesting to place the show over the parades... in fact, I am suggesting the opposite. Work around the parades and place the show wherever the major parades aren't... this year, Friday would have been a great day!

As I said before, the corps typically REFUSE any show that falls around the 4th of July because the parade money is too good.

The Bushwackers NEVER sign on to a show when the 4th falls on or close to a weekend.

We are making "insane" money this weekend.

If you look at the last few years of the DCA schedule you wont find a scheduled show for the 4th of July weekend, The corps wont sign up due to the parade money.

And your idea of a Friday show during the regular season, That would never work with todays DCA, It would be suicide for the sponsor and I doubt you would see any of the corps in full strength, Way too many hurdles to clear for a weeknight DCA show to succeed.

not only that...who's gonna host the shows?

Well, I guess we can close this thread. It seems the idea is rediculous. Though I would like to point out the show that is happening tomorrow (July 3rd).

With only 3 competing corps i might add, Why? Because 3 of us turned down the offer to go because we didnt want to lose our parade money.

Well, I guess we can close this thread. It seems the idea is rediculous. Though I would like to point out the show that is happening tomorrow (July 3rd).

well, think about this logistically and financially. now the number i am throwing out are hypothetical, cause I have no clue what it costs to move a corps these days.

you can take a weekend, work a few parades that could bring as much as 10-15K in, and maybe get some rehearsal in...and hey some corps do some bonding and have picnics too.

or...you can spend 10k to move the corps to make 3k

I know the MD parades pay well....if I were on Bucs management team, I'd sure as hell take those parades. I'm sure they must pay well if Sun Devils are coming all the way up.

my last year marching, we did just 2 of those parades down there...and it paid the next 4 weeks of bus bills.