Manning Bowl

My Manning memory at World Open Prelims 1970...

Troopers70.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the cement seats at the new Manning Bowl?

For all of it's awfulness the old Manning Bowl was kind of cool in an old and historic way.

Also, as a marching member you never had trouble finding food after the show because it was in a very urban area. Happiness for me while marching was a 7 11 near by.

Do you all remember trying to find food after shows? Man, those were the days.

Now they feed the members and everything after the shows.

Also, as a marching member you never had trouble finding food after the show because it was in a very urban area. Happiness for me while marching was a 7 11 near by.

There is a truly awesome place to eat near the Manning Bowl called Kowloons. I've never seen a restaurant like it ... it is basically a Chinese restaurant, but about 10 times as big, with a menu the size of War and Peace. After you get through the chinese food, there's a section of mexican food, then a section of Italian food and pizza. And each room is a different theme, sorta like a Vegas place. The portions are huge, and it is open insanely late. There's a giant neon chuck wagon in the front, and a picture of the owner - a chinese man with cowboy clothes on. Kitsch up the wazoo, but the food is plentiful, good, and cheap.

Are the cement seats at the new Manning Bowl?

For all of it's awfulness the old Manning Bowl was kind of cool in an old and historic way.

Do you all remember trying to find food after shows? Man, those were the days.

Now they feed the members and everything after the shows.

The seats are aluminum benches (still a lot of seat numbers missing, just like the old Manning Bowl), in fact, the entire bleacher section is now aluminum. If you are familiar with Stellos Stadium in Nashua, NH these bleachers are practically identical, although I don't think they go up as high at Manning as they do at Stellos. The last few years anyway, the old Manning Bowl had the aluminum benches as well. Still a boat load of places to eat within walking distance of the stadium, Wendy's, Burger King, McDonald's, Papa Gino's. Kowloon's (reference other post above) is in Saugus, which is a couple of towns away-probably 20 minutes or so after you get out of the post show traffic.

The seats are aluminum benches (still a lot of seat numbers missing, just like the old Manning Bowl), in fact, the entire bleacher section is now aluminum. If you are familiar with Stellos Stadium in Nashua, NH these bleachers are practically identical, although I don't think they go up as high at Manning as they do at Stellos. The last few years anyway, the old Manning Bowl had the aluminum benches as well. Still a boat load of places to eat within walking distance of the stadium, Wendy's, Burger King, McDonald's, Papa Gino's. Kowloon's (reference other post above) is in Saugus, which is a couple of towns away-probably 20 minutes or so after you get out of the post show traffic.

Don't forget Mino's Roast beef On Lynn St just off Broadway lol

hh the

There is a truly awesome place to eat near the Manning Bowl called Kowloons. I've never seen a restaurant like it ... it is basically a Chinese restaurant, but about 10 times as big, with a menu the size of War and Peace. After you get through the chinese food, there's a section of mexican food, then a section of Italian food and pizza. And each room is a different theme, sorta like a Vegas place. The portions are huge, and it is open insanely late. There's a giant neon chuck wagon in the front, and a picture of the owner - a chinese man with cowboy clothes on. Kitsch up the wazoo, but the food is plentiful, good, and cheap.

The Kowloon is a landmaarck to non residents(and former residents like me) alike.There was also Weylu's (back in the day) and a zillion roast beef places.Not far from Kelly's in Revere beach either.A great place to go(especially when there arent dead bodies floating ashore) :worthy:

Ahhh the memories of the turlet, er I mean Manning bowl.At least there is turf now,instead of dirt.lol :tongue:

hh the

The Kowloon is a landmaarck to non residents(and former residents like me) alike.There was also Weylu's (back in the day) and a zillion roast beef places.Not far from Kelly's in Revere beach either.A great place to go(especially when there arent dead bodies floating ashore) :worthy:

Ahhh the memories of the turlet, er I mean Manning bowl.At least there is turf now,instead of dirt.lol :tongue:

And don't forget the infamous Hill .Marching from the backfield to the front to the crest of the hill at mid field. I swear it was almost a 3 foot differance from sideline to that point lol

Speaking of the World Open at the Manning Bowl...all from prelims...vidcaps from the Haas videos

Our opening set, 1971...Yankee Doodle variations, from a Boston Pops chart...

Openingset.jpg

Peace sign to "Battle Hymn"...our color pre...

PeacesignBattleHymn.jpg

Exit..."Profiles in Courage"

Profilescloser.jpg