Carolina Crown getting a little sloppy...

( I Know I am bit late, and i only got through about page 5, Im just saying my Opinion)

Wow, how are people getting so defensive about it, It's a july 4th parade, Its Crown, They have fun at Encores and their Parades, I mean there Playing Madonna, not an Armed Forces Melody, or some march.

What's the big deal, They played and had fun, It almost as if most people want them to become "Statues" the minute they get into Horn Block.

Edited by ohwiseone

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny true story...

Back when Crown was just struggling to stay in the Top 12, we had this awesome brass staff (Star and Cadets alums, and future Blast! casters). They would PREACH about acting like a champion!

CHAMPIONS look good in everything they do!

CHAMPIONS take pride in how everything looks.

CHAMPIONS polish their horns

CHAMPIONS come off the bus in halfs and never dress outside.

CHAMPIONS walk in pairs and stay in step and take dumps in pairs.....etc. ad naseum

Then we're in Centerville Ohio and we're in warmup......and this group of people come straggling by one by one with coats thrown over their shoulders horns hanging from one hand and shakos hanging from another. Nobody is shaved........ and somebody in our hornline says..."Hey look, there's the 9-time World Champions....i hope we can look like them".

I guess when you are as ###### as the Blue Devils you can just do about whatever you want. Crown is getting to the point where they don't need to impress some drunk 40 year old on the side of a parade route. Cause most of the people at the 4th of July parades don't give a flying monkey turd about a roll-step, or gate turn. They do care about FUN and RECOGNIZABLE music. .....and I bet they are pretty #### sick of hearing Stars and Stripes Forever.

Lastly.....IT'S A PARADE!!!! NOBODY WITH A WIFE AND A REAL LIFE THAT SPEND 22 HOURS OF THE DAY OFF THE COMPUTER CARES!

Funny true story...

Back when Crown was just struggling to stay in the Top 12, we had this awesome brass staff (Star and Cadets alums, and future Blast! casters). They would PREACH about acting like a champion!

CHAMPIONS walk in pairs and stay in step and take dumps in pairs.....etc. ad naseum

Then we're in Centerville Ohio and we're in warmup......and this group of people come straggling by one by one with coats thrown over their shoulders horns hanging from one hand and shakos hanging from another. Nobody is shaved........ and somebody in our hornline says..."Hey look, there's the 9-time World Champions....i hope we can look like them".

I guess when you are as ###### as the Blue Devils you can just do about whatever you want. Crown is getting to the point where they don't need to impress some drunk 40 year old on the side of a parade route. Cause most of the people at the 4th of July parades don't give a flying monkey turd about a roll-step, or gate turn. They do care about FUN and RECOGNIZABLE music. .....and I bet they are pretty #### sick of hearing Stars and Stripes Forever.

Lastly.....IT'S A PARADE!!!! NOBODY WITH A WIFE AND A REAL LIFE THAT SPEND 22 HOURS OF THE DAY OFF THE COMPUTER CARES!

:smile::lol:

Amen Brother

Funny true story...

That's what I'm talking about!!!

Ohhhhh DCImonkey, you pretty much said exactly what I was thinking, but better! THANK YOU! :smile:

I thought it was once you put the uniform on you take everything serious. Has that changed and now you can do what you want? Let them go get drunk or smoke in them then if it pleases the drunks and smokers.

I thought it was once you put the uniform on you take everything serious. Has that changed and now you can do what you want? Let them go get drunk or smoke in them then if it pleases the drunks and smokers.

Can't you still Have fun In uniform, (Example: Encores, parades) instead of being Perfectly in step, and playing perfectly every single time

Edited by ohwiseone

FWIW, I have a wife, a (semi) real life, and I don't live in front of my computer more than anyone else, but I do care about honor and respect for tradition, and enjoy a little bit of pomp and circumstance when the occasion warrants. (Such as the anniversary of our nation's independence.) I also enjoy having fun.

The thing that some of you (and presumably Crown) don't get is that there are some (many?) people out there, both performers and audience members, who can enjoy a disciplined, respectful performance as much as a laid back one.

Nothing against Crown--not my cup of tea--but their way is no more right or more evolutionary than the way of those that choose to maintain a certain standard of tradition and military bearing. I'd venture to say that people in groups like Crown like to saunter in parades, and kids in groups that wear full uniforms and stand at attention like what *they* are doing, too. Perhaps they don't look at it as punishment--maybe they look at it as honoring a past that is on the way to being forgotten...

Lastly, I read sometime in the last 48 hours that a Crown member got sunburn on his head from marching the parades without a shako. I bet those stodgy military-esque drum corps didn't have top of the head sunburn--maybe the military wore hats for a reason... :smile:

It depends on what you are trying to convey. Crown is very serious on the field, but if you've ever seen their ENCORE performances over the past 5 or so years, they are all about FUN!

They are FUN when they aren't being judged in DCI competition. Because most people don't care about DCI or know what it is...and they want to be ENTERTAINED! If you want a bunch of guys in straight lines walking by, get some ROTC unit to be in your parade. If you want your face blown off, get BD, or Crown.

It depends on what you are trying to convey. Crown is very serious on the field, but if you've ever seen their ENCORE performances over the past 5 or so years, they are all about FUN!

They are FUN when they aren't being judged in DCI competition. Because most people don't care about DCI or know what it is...and they want to be ENTERTAINED! If you want a bunch of guys in straight lines walking by, get some ROTC unit to be in your parade. If you want your face blown off, get BD, or Crown.

Fun has ABSOLUTELY no place in this activity!!!1111ones

/s

OAS AAS LLS