RIP Jim Ott

I didn't find out about Jim's death until DCI Midwest prelims later in that week. It was touching to see that massive Spirit of Atlanta hornline wearing black armbands at prelims.

I had just talked to Jim's sister, the famed soloist Bonnie Ott, at a contest in Minnesota the night before Jim's accident. She was a horn instructor for the Americanos in 1980.

I was at the show Jim was going to when the accident occurred. I was a little kid but I remember. Ya gotta wonder what might have been, you know? Float probably would've stayed in Atlanta with Ott. Spirit might have won a championship and Blue Devils drumline could have gone a different direction as well. Who knows?

• Like 1

RIP. One absolute DC legend. :thumbdown:

The push of Let It Be Me (pick any year played) still resonates in my mind daily. :whistle:

I also fondly recall Spirit of JSU's show with the 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, Gail Royer, and Jim Ott (and others?) flags.

• Like 1

Hard to believe that was 30 years ago now. Talk about leaving a "lasting impression" and a decent legacy behind...

Nice of you to remember today... :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Indirectly, that gentlemen launched my drum corps career which currently spans 28 years. After hearing his hornlines in the late 70's and then seeing finals in 1980, I knew that was something I had to do. I wonder how many more of us there are still out there that are involved with the activity because of his teaching, hearing his hornlines etc.... An icon in the activity without a doubt. My prayer is he is resting in peace and the view and company is wonderful.......

• Like 1

In Memory of Jim.....I miss my best friend....

• Like 1

I never met Jim but I was there in Birmingham in 1979 and 1980 and saw his hornline blow the entire crowd away! I have NEVER EVER heard anything like the begining of Georgia... Wow!

Some 29 years later I find myself standing next to Jim's sister (Bonnie) on the front sidelines doing our show with the Renegades at DCA in 2009 and while we are playing all I can think of, are those great Spirit hornlines!

Thank You Jim for your gift... You made me fall in love with Drum Corps, and I am still stuck in love today! :thumbdown::whistle:

• Like 2