RIP Jim Ott

I was in Evansville the following night and my corps, the Guardsmen, played Greensleves at pp turned to Spirit, who was standing next to them. They then went off the field to a single, soft bass drum. A VERY difficult night.

We miss you Jim. Thanks for the great, inspiring sounds you gave us.

The day the music died...

I was in Evansville the following night and my corps, the Guardsmen, played Greensleves at pp turned to Spirit, who was standing next to them. They then went off the field to a single, soft bass drum. A VERY difficult night.

We miss you Jim. Thanks for the great, inspiring sounds you gave us.

That sounds very classy. Nice touch.

• 2 years later...

I just watched the vid. Beautiful tribute!

Many people don't realize that Jim was a member of SCV in 1971. He played mellophone and had to leave mid-season to help the Commodores.Here are a couple bits of SCV trivia for you. Jim's replacement in '71 was Stanley Knaub who many credit as being the father of the modern color guard. Also in '71 both Jim and Wayne Downey were members of the SCV horn line.

And wasn't Mike Moxley also in SCV with Jim and Wayne in 1971? 3 future employees of Mr. Jerry Seawright!

And wasn't Mike Moxley also in SCV with Jim and Wayne in 1971? 3 future employees of Mr. Jerry Seawright!

Yes...

• Like 1