BK vs. SCV

I get what you're saying but just because they may have done it each and every time doesn't mean that Blue Knights, or other corps. for that matter, can't do better! And that doesn't negate the fact that they (SCV) felt they had a great brass moment on the field that night.

Exactly, and in the judges' opinion BK was better that night. I am just pointing out that it could have an effect on the psyche of the corps. Hopefully it won't. Believe me, I hope to see them max out this show at year's end.

Have you looked at the recaps from Ogden? BK beat Vanguard in Visual and GE, while SCV beat BK in Music. Therefore, from the brass caption head's perspective, SCV did do an outstanding job! Additionally, SCV received their highest Music score of the 2010 season to date that night: 32.4, nearly two and a half points higher than their previous high music score of 30.1 received at Atascadero on June 27, nearly a week earlier, and 8 points higher than the 24.15 they received in Riverside two days before Ogden!

How then, is this not outstanding?

We think the same though we're decades apart. One caption at a time, one contest at a time, one day at a time becomes the sum of the whole. Regarding this thread; whom do I choose? I'm on the fence. One I'd seen live and on video, the other video only; intriguing. I like both corps :-)

I'm going to go ahead a step on a few toes here - that's what I do best, afterall...

I watched BK rehearse the day after the Ogden show, and holy poo, was I disappointed. All day long I kept saying to myself "I really hope this corps doesn't take this the wrong way and rest on their laurels..." and I felt totally awful for saying it because I KNOW that the Blue Knights are not like that, but watching their rehearsal told a totally different story.

I'd heard that the guard had a bad night at the show, so they worked their butts off all day long on their practice field and logged a whole lot of laps. Kudos to them. That guard is phenomenal and will continue to improve all season long.

I know that the recording at Weber State is a hype for the corps, but wow, what a waste of time on such an opportunistic day. Instead of addressing ensemble/music issues (with which they were behind Vanguard) I watched the horn line and drum line stand around, even sit for close to 4 hours. In sub-sectionals, the horn line barely played or addressed any sound/intonation issues - again, both of which were far behind Vanguard at the show on Wednesday night.

I said earlier that at Vanguard's rehearsal the day of the show I was rather underwhelmed, but it wasn't with their work ethic or their abilities, it was with their "ownership" of the show. I've always thought of Vanguard as this seriously BA entity that had this big, awesome chip on its' shoulder about everything that it did. I didn't get that on Wednesday, but the opportunity for it to grow is there. I wasn't there for rehearsal, but I would bet money on the fact that all sections of the SCV worked their ##### off Thursday and Friday on all aspects of their show - especially GE and visual - and probably did a run-through (or two), and that's more than BK can say right now.

I don't know who will beat who tonight, but I'm betting the results of the last two days of rehearsal will be more long term than a few tenths of a point.

I'm really not trying to take anything away from BK - this is the best they've been in a long time, maybe even ever. I just think that the better this corps does, the more the immaturity of the corps will become apparent as the season wears on.

This is exactly what I think SCV would be concerned about. They get off the field and the brass instructor tells them what an outstanding job they just did. 1/2 hour later they learn that that outstanding job was not good enough for them to place higher than BK- something that during the entire history of the organization they have done each and every single time they have competed against them. Hopefully for SCV a good portion of the kids are like your son and the staff is smart enough to know how to keep motivating these "Spocks" in a way that will get them to fully realize this year's show.

As someone who marched during the GR era in the mid-80s, more often than not GR would be the one to do a quick review of the recap as we stood in the circle around him after retreat. I can tell you that all was not "warm & fuzzy"; if we stunk; it showed on his face...he would get really quiet so observers couldn't hear, and we knew the next day was going to be hell. And it was. We got angry...I personally broke all the welds on my horn my last year simply from squeezing my hands in anger when the comments rained down on us during days like these; thankfully the DC gods provided repairs before Finals in the form of duct tape.

Demoralized?! If you heard the Vanguard kids immediately after the show, they were far from demoralized. They felt it was the best brass performance they've had so far and Andre agreed. My son has never cared about scores or placement, but I think he's different that way. He's very stoic - I call him Spock - and always just wants to improve and see others improve and have a good show. Now, the staff, that might be another story. They will probably push the kids harder, as they should. So time will tell. AND it's a full judging panel this time around so that may shift things around a bit.

And this is where it is different. Such a situation-- the placement-- would have made us very, very angry and I suspect the late 90's Red Teams as well. When situations like this occurred, we made it known to hide the women & children at the next show, especially from our contra line :tongue: . We did push-ups during rehearsals unasked every time we made a mistake...it was called honor with integrity; we weren't "threatened" with push-ups like the staff meekly (IMO) did during Saturday afternoon's rehearsal I attended at Shurr High School prior to the Walnut show. I appreciate being stoic, but I did not / do not sense that "UBER MOJO" that had PR shrinking in fear at DATR in '84 as we stood next to them under the stands prior to retreat, or the sheer awesomeness of 97-99. The last time I felt it was SCV '04 when the first 16 bars of opener at RFL straight out of the gate announced, "WE ARE HERE." It isn't arrogance, it's MOJO. It is controlled fury; uncork it, and all hell breaks loose. Look at at the DVD of SCV '87 where the one sop player makes a snap turn during RCM so fast, you could swear the air rushes in to fill the vacuum he left with an audible "pop"...that's SCV mojo, folks.

"Anger is bad" you might say. But, it's one heck of a motivator: look at the NBA's Michael Jordan; he was relentless. Flame me if you like, but anger from within the line -- "Our situation is simply un-freaking-acceptable"-- is the kick in the butt SCV needs. They've got, what? 150 kids now? I urge them all to say in one collective voice, "NO!!! It is our field of honor, & no one else's!!!", not "Here ya go, best of luck to you; we'll text you afterward."

To SCV: The 1st-9th place corps fear you no longer, and it is high time to reverse this trend. Drummers: drum & march your butts off. Brass: play and march your butts off. Guard: spin and dance your butts off. You are SCV GDit, the "supersuit" doesn't give you magic mojo powers when you it put on or put the feathers up, it comes from WITHIN.

Do it.

Do it NOW.

As someone who marched during the GR era in the mid-80s, more often than not GR would be the one to do a quick review of the recap as we stood in the circle around him after retreat. I can tell you that all was not "warm & fuzzy"; if we stunk; it showed on his face...he would get really quiet so observers couldn't hear, and we knew the next day was going to be hell. And it was. We got angry...I personally broke all the welds on my horn my last year simply from squeezing my hands in anger when the comments rained down on us during days like these; thankfully the DC gods provided repairs before Finals in the form of duct tape.

And this is where it is different. Such a situation-- the placement-- would have made us very, very angry and I suspect the late 90's Red Teams as well. When situations like this occurred, we made it known to hide the women & children at the next show, especially from our contra line :tongue: . We did push-ups during rehearsals unasked every time we made a mistake...it was called honor with integrity; we weren't "threatened" with push-ups like the staff meekly (IMO) did during Saturday afternoon's rehearsal I attended at Shurr High School prior to the Walnut show. I appreciate being stoic, but I did not / do not sense that "UBER MOJO" that had PR shrinking in fear at DATR in '84 as we stood next to them under the stands prior to retreat, or the sheer awesomeness of 97-99. The last time I felt it was SCV '04 when the first 16 bars of opener at RFL straight out of the gate announced, "WE ARE HERE." It isn't arrogance, it's MOJO. It is controlled fury; uncork it, and all hell breaks loose. Look at at the DVD of SCV '87 where the one sop player makes a snap turn during RCM so fast, you could swear the air rushes in to fill the vacuum he left with an audible "pop"...that's SCV mojo, folks.

"Anger is bad" you might say. But, it's one heck of a motivator: look at the NBA's Michael Jordan; he was relentless. Flame me if you like, but anger from within the line -- "Our situation is simply un-freaking-acceptable"-- is the kick in the butt SCV needs. They've got, what? 150 kids now? I urge them all to say in one collective voice, "NO!!! It is our field of honor, & no one else's!!!", not "Here ya go, best of luck to you; we'll text you afterward."

To SCV: The 1st-9th place corps fear you no longer, and it is high time to reverse this trend. Drummers: drum & march your butts off. Brass: play and march your butts off. Guard: spin and dance your butts off. You are SCV GDit, the "supersuit" doesn't give you magic mojo powers when you it put on or put the feathers up, it comes from WITHIN.

Do it.

Do it NOW.

I. Love. This. Post.

Do it.

Do it NOW.

THANK YOU!!!!!

This is exactly what I think SCV would be concerned about. They get off the field and the brass instructor tells them what an outstanding job they just did. 1/2 hour later they learn that that outstanding job was not good enough for them to place higher than BK- something that during the entire history of the organization they have done each and every single time they have competed against them. Hopefully for SCV a good portion of the kids are like your son and the staff is smart enough to know how to keep motivating these "Spocks" in a way that will get them to fully realize this year's show.

Sorry but I dont understand what the Blue Knights have to do with the SCV hornline night NOT having a good performance.

I thought corps could only have control over their own shows....

Do it.

Do it NOW.

This was an awesome moment during an incredibly intense/emotion-filled show. In all the drum corps shows I have attended, I do not think there has been a performance that has matched the intensity of SCV '87 at finals.