Madison beats Phantom in Guard on 7/8

No offense intended, but while Madison's guard may certainly be better this year, I don't think it's unreasonable to use this as a benchmark. Phantom's guard has been a top 5 guard for the past number of years, whereas Madison's guard has had some less successful years. Even while the corps was pushing 5th/6th in 2005, their guard was placing 12th in semi's. I'm pretty sure the last time Madison's guard beat Phantom's was in the 2004 season, unless I'm mistaken.

no offense taken... they have indeed had some recent down years.

But where you point out that Madison has had some less than successful years... I'm going to point out then that perhaps Phantoms guard is now experiencing their own "less than successful" year(s) ... so in comparison (in years to come) if Madisons guard starts a run here of more successful guard books and scoring, if they lose to Phantoms guard and I say: "Phantom beats Madison in guard" and then suggest/imply in my post that obviously Madisons guard is having issues, you won't maybe "raise an eyebrow?" That's all I'm saying... no biggie.

Remember, Madison's guard has also had some VERY successful years as well in the last 40 years, just like the very powerful and awesome Phantom Regiment guards of the 70's and 80's and beyond. :tongue:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this thread is going to go nowhere fast....

so don't click on it and come into it... :tongue:

Regardless of the politics, I still love watching both guards perform. I hope they continue to have a great season. :tongue:

Phantom's guard staff is essentially the same as the one before Adam Sage and company took over in 2005. They had issues then, especially in 2004, and those issues have returned. Why would you rehire a guard staff that proved themselves to be substandard before at the same corps?!?!?!

Many of us knew with Madisons current staff there would be huge improvements over the next few years. It's no surprise they are right on schedule.

In regards to Phantoms guard performances, being a former member doesn't stop me from being critical. I look at it from a business perspective. If the person in the leadership position isn't getting the job done, it's time to find someone who will. The guard scores alone are keeping them out of contention.

There is no doubt they have the talent in their membership. (IMO) there is no excuse for the lack of consistancy. Horn score are among the top, drumscores are on top, guard near the bottom.

Having seen the show an number of times the potential is there to compete for the championship. If all phases aren't near the top they will finish no better than 7th.

I obviously don't know what's going on internally but in the guard caption it seems we have compromised our standards and our expectations.

Edited by Phantombari1

Many of us knew with Madisons current staff there would be huge improvements over the next few years. It's no surprise they are right on schedule.

In regards to Phantoms guard performances, being a former member doesn't stop me from being critical. I look at it from a business perspective. If the person in the leadership position isn't getting the job done, it's time to find someone who will. The guard scores alone are keeping them out of contention.

There is no doubt they have the talent in their membership. (IMO) there is no excuse for the lack of consistancy. Horn score are among the top, drumscores are on top, guard near the bottom.

Having seen the show an number of times the potential is there to compete for the championship. If all phases aren't near the top they will finish no better than 7th.

I obviously don't know what's going on internally but in the guard caption it seems we have compromised our standards and our expectations.

Phantom's 2010 guard uniforms, ahem costumes, are beautiful. Add a see-through strap on the shoulder for comfort and confidence...imo;

Phantom's guard staff is essentially the same as the one before Adam Sage and company took over in 2005. They had issues then, especially in 2004, and those issues have returned. Why would you rehire a guard staff that proved themselves to be substandard before at the same corps?!?!?!

no it's not