Voting with our Pocketbook

Agree on the rotating fan base makes it tougher on DCI. IMO it also makes it scarey for DCI to survive long term in case of long term recession.

But let's not forget the former fans who are not doing a formal boycott. There are also people who stopped watching DCI or Drum Corps in general because they are not entertained like in the past. The walking away from corps could come from changes in life situations but know of people who just wouldn't spend the bucks on shows anymore. And their money isn't going to DCI either. Know of at least one that supports the marchers but hasn't seen a DCI show in any form for years.

I think a good compromise would be to sponsor a specific individual. This supports the individual whose life will be enriched through their marching experience without directly benefiting drum corps at large. However, a "purist" might argue that even the kids are at fault for performing, perpetuating, and fully getting behind the "unappealing" show designs in today's drum corps world. Actually, those who want to take the performers out of the picture are mistaken; the reason drum corps shows continue to be written the way they are is because there will always be marching members to buy into their product. In order to be successful, you either love or learn to love the show you perform. Those corps getting ragged on for unappealing show design are being driven buy marching members who love their show and buy into it 100%. Sure, there's always the cynical vet who hates everything and knows best about everything but for the most part, it's the performers who are the ones ACTUALLY furthering drum corps as we know it. It's a Catch-22 if you don't like today's shows or drum corps environment. It's still awesome if you're able to appreciate the shows and it's the best for those who LOVE today's drum corps!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Granny,

You are correct that “taking your ball and going home” will have little effect on the direction of the activity.

When it comes to suggesting the activity has lost its way, it’s no longer artistic; we should go back to starting in one in zone and finishing in the other. That is just well, a simple opinion. One that is generally held by individuals that marched or were involved 20, 30 or 40 years ago.

How F%^*ing arrogant! Its all about we know best, we have better taste, I liked what we did, I don’t like what you are doing now. We “the old farts” know what is best for the activity and we want it our way and we must find away to change it. Give me a break!

These discussions about changing and controlling the activity make me sick. Maybe we should all vote on what time period produced the best “style” of Drum Corps and then have DCI create new rules to mandate the content, style and type of programs. Making sure year after year after year it remained the same. It remained the way we like. Hell if we can do this the Corps can get rid of half the design staff and save a butt load of money.

Maybe we can create “The Program Approval Board” from some of the artistic know-it-alls from DCP. Each Corps can submit their program for approval. That would fix it. We now what’s best.

Do I like everything Drum Corps is doing? Hell No! Singing in Drum Corps…..There’s no singing in Drum Corps. Electronics? You have got to be kidding me. Oh well I guess the activity has changed, I guess the activity has evolved from when I marched.

“Oh I don’t like this and I have superior taste” therefore I must change the activity. I know I will take my ball and go home. I will not spend my 87$ a year. This will do it. I and my friends will decide what is best. We will decide what is artistic and what is not. We will decide what designers design and performers will perform.

Please note Granny this is not directed at specially you but the population of “we know best old farts” who for whatever reason refuse to let the current members, designers, staff and directors do what they do. They are arrogant, narrow minded and stuck in some distorted time warp.

Nothing in life, NOTHING! Stays the same. Sports, Movies, Music, Food, Taxes, Clean Oceans, The Stock Market, Broadway, Education, Religion, NOTHING.

If you want to change the art form, then go create your own expression. Start a Corps, get hired by a Corps, Write a drill or music book. Oh I forgot, you don’t know how, you don’t have the talent to create anything only to criticize what someone else has created. And we should listen to you?

Yep.,

I think a good compromise would be to sponsor a specific individual. This supports the individual whose life will be enriched through their marching experience without directly benefiting drum corps at large.

Yep, people can disagree with the direction of the activity but the members have no say in what gets put on the field. Picking and choosing a member who will benefit in ways other than DC works for me. (OK, I'm one person who does what I described above.)

Actually, those who want to take the performers out of the picture are mistaken; the reason drum corps shows continue to be written the way they are is because there will always be marching members to buy into their product. In order to be successful, you either love or learn to love the show you perform. Those corps getting ragged on for unappealing show design are being driven buy marching members who love their show and buy into it 100%.

LMAO, don't get me started on 1978 Westshoremen. One number was a total mistake but couldn't be changed for various reasons. Another was supposed to be played in a "bouncy, fun" style and we just killed it (and NOT in a good way). Anyone with experience didn't buy into those numbers and totally hated them. But... we played as well and clean as we could to move up the ranks of DCA. Jes' asying not all performers buy into everything they are doing.

Did give me of my biggest laughs during that era: Working on the drill on the total mistake number and one Bari (not me) asked the business manager. "Hey Larry, can we play this again next year?" Larry (Hershman) just stopped dead in his tracks in shock.

Yep, people can disagree with the direction of the activity but the members have no say in what gets put on the field. Picking and choosing a member who will benefit in ways other than DC works for me. (OK, I'm one person who does what I described above.)

LMAO, don't get me started on 1978 Westshoremen. One number was a total mistake but couldn't be changed for various reasons. Another was supposed to be played in a "bouncy, fun" style and we just killed it (and NOT in a good way). Anyone with experience didn't buy into those numbers and totally hated them. But... we played as well and clean as we could to move up the ranks of DCA. Jes' asying not all performers buy into everything they are doing.

Did give me of my biggest laughs during that era: Working on the drill on the total mistake number and one Bari (not me) asked the business manager. "Hey Larry, can we play this again next year?" Larry (Hershman) just stopped dead in his tracks in shock.

Wait...Things about drum corps were...bad...in 1978? DCP has led me astray! :tongue:

Okay, I'll chime in. I can't resist a Granny Smith thread because it is well thought out and objective instead of being acerbic/cynical/sarcastic (like I am sometimes). Thanks Granny.

This is not a unique problem to Drum Corps. I have spent many years on the board or involved in performing arts organizations including music, orchestra, opera, and theater. Audience attrition/dilution/distraction/whatever you want to call it is ubiquitous in the arts.

One cannot extrapolate lower attendance at DCI events to just the fact that corps have evolved and the die-hards don't like it. There are way to many factors at play and probably 100 former attendees would give one of dozens of variations in the reason they haven't returned. We now have the internet (which we old farts did NOT have in the 1980s). Every town has at least three googliplex theaters playing movies 60 times a day. Kids are involved in WAY MORE ACTIVITIES than we ever were in my youth. Simply put, people have a lot more OPTIONS on where to spend their time and money. Frankly I'm surprised that the activity still has as many folks in the crowd as it does.

I've been watching, spending, etc since 1984 and overall I believe the activity is as exciting as it ever was, though it has changed. I wonder when I go back and look at tapes from the 1980's that if shows were exactly the same if the activity would still be as strong as it was then. There is no way to know.

I talk with my pocketbook. I support the corps I love, I buy the merchandise that appeals to me, etc.

I spent the time to write DCI last year about what I considered an inexcusable if not fraudulent finals week experience I had. They didn't bother to respond. THIS IS THE ISSUE I have with DCI and if it is indicative of their approach to building an audience, they will fail. I will NEVER go back to LOS. Well, maybe if Dan Acheson himself wheeled up in a limo outside my house with free tickets and an all-expenses paid round trip I might think about it.

When you are in the non-profit business and you are trying to produce a product that people will attend, you have to KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. This means polling, dialogue, openness (and even a thanks) to feedback whether you like it or not, etc. If you do not do this and go on your own trying to figure out what people want, you will fail. This is the science of marketing.

I do not profess to be very knowledgeable about it, nor do I profess to be the "typical crowd member", "the old farts club", "the old-school fan", whatever. However, there are many professionals in this business of performing arts and/or marketing that had better being doing it. I will watch and support what feels right.

Wait...Things about drum corps were...bad...in 1978? DCP has led me astray! :tongue:

Oh some of us are willing to tell the whole story. As a history buff, not getting the "less than perfect" side is a loss.

Time for a new thread...... :tongue:

Most corps accept PayPal :tongue:

If DCI is an activity that sells products, then yes, voting with your pocketbook will definitely work. The reason why it hasnt worked yet is because not enough people have "voted". We have fewer shows now, but DCI also has Fan Network which puts money into the corps pocket without them having to travel to a new destination. They also broadcast Quarterfinals which was a genius idea!

I personally dont see it as voting with my wallet as that gives it a more aggressive feeling. I just see it as buying something vs. not buying something because I like it or not which is what we do everyday right? I wonder how the evolution of DCI would stand up to the Kano Model.