Yankee Rebels

Thank you Yankee Rebels for all the memories. As a kid I grew up watching them go head to head against the Caballeros and when the American Legion Nationals came around you knew the Yankee Rebels would be on their A game.

Thank you again

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The alumni movement kicked off in (approx) 1975 with Archie (Bill's Boys are something of an anamoly - they were not alumni of anyone corps - just folks dedicated to the memory of Bill Lindy and therefore a new corps of their own). Archie got it on the field at the Dream in Jersey City in 1978 and the movement started to roll. The peak may have been 27 at Foxboro in 1994 or perhaps SCV's alums, Kingsmens' Alumns, or Madisons', but we forget sometimes that the impetus that got alumni coming out in droves was the first YR Alumni field corps with over 100 horns and a huge drum line, doing a full (for then) drill show. It is hard to say whether the alumni crum corps movement, which I sadly agree is possibly running low on fuel now, would ever have caught on to the degree that it did if YR had not hit the field with such a huge splash.

Yes, the re-emergence of the Yankee Rebels as an alumni field corps in 1989, and their DCA exhibition appearance in 1990, were key events in the development of the alumni corps movement.

With sadness in my heart and tears in my eyes I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful words that describe the GREAT YANKEE REBELS.

When Gus and I first got back together in 2002 he was with the Rebels and then went to march with the Cabs alumni. I missed the people of the Rebs they opened their hearts and souls to us.We came back in 2004 I have been here helping out the Rebels for the past 6 years and we are a family.

Once you are a Rebel you remain a Rebel. The Southern Hospitality is remarkable. If you are at a Rebs function and you go away empty for friendship or food then something is wrong with you.

The Rebels will be missed in the alumni movement but we still will have our Alumni association. We will still be at the GAS weekend and we will keep the memory alive. No one can ever replace the Great Yankee Rebels. Our 22 year run as a performing alumni corps has been great, but we want to go out with dignigty. Our oldest member is 85 and he was still marching playing cymbals and doing parades. His wife carried our banner. Members like this can not be replaced they just do no make them like this anymore. No junior corps today will be able to hold a candle to the corps and the friendships that make up the alumni corps as they are today.

I must say I am proud to have been part of this Great Corps for the few short years I have been here. I have met some wonderful loving and giving people with this corps. I will miss the muscial part of the organization but the memory will live on thru pictures and videos and audio.

Since Sunday I have felt like there was a death in our family and in a way it is. It just hurts but I know how hard it has been to run the corps and the Stinger every year. It was a lot of work and the man behind the scenes was Phil Gentile. What a great director and with his wife Dolores they made the Yankee Rebels. Many people worked witht t he Gentilies behind the scenes and I thank them for the wonderful years I have shared being part of the Yankee Rebels.

To all past members or members now we do have an alumni organization that meets every 1st Wednesday at the Charles Evering post. Come out and join. If you need more info or live far away send me a message we keep up with emails and newsletters.

LET US KEEP OUR MEMORY ALIVE AND OUR FRIENDSHIPS STRONG.LONG LIVE THE MEMORY OF THE GREAT YANKEE REBELS.

Edited by beagus

What this means is that the Yankee Rebels Drum and Bugle Corps will give its final performance on Saturday, August 14, 2010 at the Reilly Raiders Show. After 22 years of performing we're just getting too old and too tired to continue. We just couldn't get the membership to commit to parades and shows. So it was decided that rather then trying to struggle any further with poor personnel showings, that we would call it quits after the Shamrock Festival. We have a proud history and we didn't want to tarnish it with any sub standard performances.

So, come out to the Shamrock Festival on August 14th to treat your eyes and ears to the last great performance ot the Yankee Rebels.

Gus :rolleyes:

Great post honey.

Upsetting news indeed. The Rebels were always a tough opponent back in my competing days, and they have been wonderful friends in our 'alumni era.'

Sad to see a corps disappear from the scene, but most of us fear all of the alumni corps ultimately will be facing similar tough times. We are all getting older. Parades are difficult for many of us, and impossible for some. The desire to perform is still strong, but once our generation simply cannot march and perform any longer, who will replace us? Unfortunately, we don't see a substantial influx from the 'newer generation' of corps members. After all, it has been our memories of our era that we celebrate and re-create, not theirs.

This has to be a very tough decision, but I understand and respect their desire not to continue. Gus said it all: "We have a proud history and we didn't want to tarnish it with any sub standard performances." We all know exactly what that pride in your corps is all about.

To Gus, John and Barbara Flowers, Skee Derr and all the other members of the Rebels: Thank you, gentlemen and ladies for many years of entertainment. I salute you all.

Thank you John for your kind words.

Very sorry to hear about the Yankee Rebels, a GREAT corps, with a GREAT history, and a GREAT group of people!

The Bridgemen, including yours truly, have been very fortunate to get to know the individuals in this legendary drum corps these last few years, as part of their terrific show, the Dixie Stinger! We are very happy that this show will still be held in the future, as the food alone is incredible! It has been an honor to perform at the Stinger, and I hope that we will enjoy many more performances at this very special venue!

Like so many in our drum corps family, the Yankee Rebels are an incredible group of people, and have left an indelible mark on our wonderful activity. As a member of an alumni corps, it is easy to see how they (but very sad) how they have come to this unfortunate juncture. It is just not as easy to march in a long parade as it was when we were kids. That has become quite obvious to me, and to our membership, as well.

We have chosen to implement another plan, trying to infuse the corps with younger members, in an effort to help perpetuate the life of the Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps, and thus far, the plan has been working. (As my good friend Liz has mentioned). Our average age has been dropping considerably since we first reorganized in 2005. This is a good thing, because some of us are not getting any younger! LOL

To the Yankee Rebels Drum and Bugle Corps...

THANK YOU for many years of incredible music, and marching that provided us with some AMAZING performances! After getting to know many of the members of your organization, it is obvious that your love, passion, dedication, and commitment to your corps have been second to none, and I want to thank you for all that you have given to us through the years!!!

Congratulations on an incredible run, and a job well done!

Jim Jordan

Jimmy we loved having the Bridgemen and feeding your corps. Keep up the HYPE

I am with you both on that. I never quite understood that either.

To me, you join one corps and stay with them and give them your full attention and effort. An occasional favor to help a friend might be okay, but to play in several at one time and divide your loyalties is something that's foreign to me.

The idea of marching with multiple corps has long been an issue in my Boston Crusaders Senior Corps. Originally, playing in another unit was strictly forbidden. Even playing in a "one concert a year- read the music from a music stand- unit" like Legends, was discouraged. My personal belief was that if a member honored all his comittments to the Crusaders- learned his music, made almost all rehearsals, parades, and shows; then what he did on an off day was his own business. For me, it was an issue of personal freedom; and I felt it so strongly that I quit the corps over it. It was the only year in our corps' 19 year history that I wasn't a member. Now our policy is "Honor your comittment to the Crusaders." And that's it. We have 2 of our members that perform with Mass Brass, and 1 who makes a rare appearance with the Reilly Raiders where her parents are members. A large percentage of Legends (Massachusetts) consists of active Crusader members.

I know that St. Kevins and the Defenders share a number of members. You'd have to talk to them to see how things are working out, but I know that at a recent parade in which both units were appearing, I felt bad for my friends in Kevins who were marching with only about 18 horns.

I think the bigger factor in the future possible demise of alumni corps is the realities of the aging member population. Medical issues this year kept me out of several parades and a show. I hadn't missed a thing in over three years, and this killed me, but what could I do. I was in great pain. And I agree with what has already been about younger members not being attracted to the typical alumni corps because their drum corps experience is not the same as that of current alumni members. Most DCI age outs won't even march in DCA. Why would they want to march in an on-going alumni unit?

For most older generation participants, drum corps was thier sole musical venue. Today's younger drum corps folks are members of bands, orchestras, combos, and a myriad of other performing groups. I hope alumni corps can keep going; and I am fortunate that presently my corps has one of the largest memberships in its history, but reality says the handwriting's on the wall.

Yes, the re-emergence of the Yankee Rebels as an alumni field corps in 1989, and their DCA exhibition appearance in 1990, were key events in the development of the alumni corps movement.

OMG..the Rebels in Carlisle in 89. They were always loved there, and we came off the field right before them.

we stopped to watch, and the crowd was going nuts.

The idea of marching with multiple corps has long been an issue in my Boston Crusaders Senior Corps. Originally, playing in another unit was strictly forbidden. Even playing in a "one concert a year- read the music from a music stand- unit" like Legends, was discouraged. My personal belief was that if a member honored all his comittments to the Crusaders- learned his music, made almost all rehearsals, parades, and shows; then what he did on an off day was his own business. For me, it was an issue of personal freedom; and I felt it so strongly that I quit the corps over it. It was the only year in our corps' 19 year history that I wasn't a member. Now our policy is "Honor your comittment to the Crusaders." And that's it. We have 2 of our members that perform with Mass Brass, and 1 who makes a rare appearance with the Reilly Raiders where her parents are members. A large percentage of Legends (Massachusetts) consists of active Crusader members.

I know that St. Kevins and the Defenders share a number of members. You'd have to talk to them to see how things are working out, but I know that at a recent parade in which both units were appearing, I felt bad for my friends in Kevins who were marching with only about 18 horns.

I think the bigger factor in the future possible demise of alumni corps is the realities of the aging member population. Medical issues this year kept me out of several parades and a show. I hadn't missed a thing in over three years, and this killed me, but what could I do. I was in great pain. And I agree with what has already been about younger members not being attracted to the typical alumni corps because their drum corps experience is not the same as that of current alumni members. Most DCI age outs won't even march in DCA. Why would they want to march in an on-going alumni unit?

For most older generation participants, drum corps was thier sole musical venue. Today's younger drum corps folks are members of bands, orchestras, combos, and a myriad of other performing groups. I hope alumni corps can keep going; and I am fortunate that presently my corps has one of the largest memberships in its history, but reality says the handwriting's on the wall.

I think we in alumni corps are the dinosuars of drum corps. When we can no longer do it, the "traditional" drum corps is over. The activity has changed far too much over the years, and younger people simply are not interested in the type of drum corps we are. Like many things from the past, we are slowly fading away. This used to depress me, but I finally came to realize that times change, and the best we can do is enjoy the hell out of it while we can. I'm sure doing that.

I think we in alumni corps are the dinosuars of drum corps. When we can no longer do it, the "traditional" drum corps is over. The activity has changed far too much over the years, and younger people simply are not interested in the type of drum corps we are. Like many things from the past, we are slowly fading away. This used to depress me, but I finally came to realize that times change, and the best we can do is enjoy the hell out of it while we can. I'm sure doing that.

We are what we are because we ain't what we use to be. :rolleyes: