an OUTRAGEOUS Thought

The Fourth of July weekend is when we all celebrate the birth of our nation. Nowhere is that more evident then in the Baltimore area where there are at least 4 (correction "6") parades (that I'm aware of anyway) all within perhaps a 35 mile radius of each other; Dundalk, Towson, Bel Air and Havre de Grace over the 2 day weekend, both Saturday and Sunday. Performing in these parades this past year were 7 DCA member Drum Corps; Alliance, Music City Legend, Sun Devils, Fusion, Carolina Gold, Shenandoah Sound and the Reading Buccaneers. And that doesn't include the Alumni Corps and possibly Junior Drum Corps that participated as well. The reasons why all of these Drum Corps come to perform in these parades is 1) it's the patriotic thing to do 2) the camaraderie that takes place over the 2 day weekend among the Drum Corps & 3) because of the money they can all earn. Money that easily pays for not just the expense of their transportation to and from the area but also takes care a LOT of other expenses they encounter in their budgets. It would be the PERFECT place for a DCA competition. The Baltimore are used to be a real hotbed for Drum Corps. One of the really great Drum Corps shows in years gone bye was the "March of Champions", sometime referred to as "The Southern Dream" as a comparison to the one time Greatest contest of them all 'The National Dream" contest.

Okay, discuss. What would it take to pull this off? I have some thoughts but let's hear from you. What do you think? And let's stay on topic with this. No promises but it could possibly become reality.

Edited by NYSkyliner

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the corps physically have the energy, besides having the time, to do this?

and who is willing to host? Especially as we just saw today, the Rebels are done in August.

Mike ,

Its a good idea and has been batted around between the corps. .

We did try it once before. Shenandoah Sound hosted... but it really put some pressure on the corps'. And noone really gets to rehearse.

Also just an FYI, most of the Southern corps' travel up to the parades , not with a full corps and usually leave their front ensemble equipment home to save costs ! Also 4th of July does not always fall on a weekend,,

And remember DCA (other then Championships and the Lowell show) does not host contests. So you would need to find a willing and able host to put up the bucks.... Good thought though

There was a show in Manassass, VA the same weekend as the parades in 2008. It all depends on how the parade schedule works out. That year the parades were all on a friday, I believe, and the corps stayed in town and rehearsed and performed saturday.

This year, with the parades spread over two days and the last one on saturday not stepping off until 4:30, a contest would not have been practical.

tho, if Annapolis gets finals, that would be a great way to advertise finals

Assuming you could find someone to host the show in the general area, perhaps it could be done something like the Barnum Fest.

..............as long as the money is still there for the parade participation. (which I believe is the #1 reason these groups do the parades)

Also need to take into consideration the bus rentals and housing

JULY 3 DRUM CORP SHOW

JULY 4 PARADES

Some juniors even struggle to do this and look at the condition they are in. A parade and a show just might not be feasible for all age corps. There are some that just wouldn't be able to keep up.

In '95 we got burned out by our corps director booking 4 parades in one day and then a show the next day. I was in a Div III corps then. It was HELL!!!

Mike ,

Its a good idea and has been batted around between the corps. .

We did try it once before. Shenandoah Sound hosted... but it really put some pressure on the corps'. And noone really gets to rehearse.

Also just an FYI, most of the Southern corps' travel up to the parades , not with a full corps and usually leave their front ensemble equipment home to save costs ! Also 4th of July does not always fall on a weekend,,

And remember DCA (other then Championships and the Lowell show) does not host contests. So you would need to find a willing and able host to put up the bucks.... Good thought though

Jef, Vic,

I was speaking with one of the Corps Directors who has participated in all of the "6" parades that occur in the Baltimore area for the past 10 years and there is someone who has interest in sponsoring a DCA show. So a sponsor is out there.

And about the Yankee-Rebels, I was speaking with Phil this morning. Reilly's show is indeed the final performance of the Yankee-Rebels. They had a great run and they want to go out while they're on top. I very happy to say that I'll have the honor of performing with them at that show. And at this time the Dixie Stinger, sponsored by the Yankee-Rebels Alumni Association is still on.

Some juniors even struggle to do this and look at the condition they are in. A parade and a show just might not be feasible for all age corps. There are some that just wouldn't be able to keep up.

In '95 we got burned out by our corps director booking 4 parades in one day and then a show the next day. I was in a Div III corps then. It was HELL!!!

This past 4th weekend, Kilties did...

July 3 Full corps camp + exhibition field show, Sun Prairie, WI (MACBDA)

July 4 A.M. Parade and P.M. exhibition field show, Kenosha, WI (MACBDA)

July 5 Union Grove WI Parade (almost 2 miles) + Racine WI Parade (3.5 miles) - Afternoon Off.

Three parades and two shows plus practice over 2 1/2 days.