an OUTRAGEOUS Thought

I seem to remember a show a few years ago in that area with a REALLY GREAT LINEUP of corps that barely drew a crowd of 100 people at best as I was told.

The show was promoted well and I do believe it coincided with the 4th of July holiday.

I would be pretty relunctant to try this idea considering the last 2 shows didnt fare too well.

just my opinion.

Edited by HBD

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember a show a few years ago in that area with a REALLY GREAT LINEUP of corps that barely drew a crowd of 100 people at best as I was told.

The show was promoted well and I do believe it coincided with the 4th of July holiday.

I would be pretty relunctant to try this idea considering the last 2 shows didnt fare too well.

just my opinion.

Interesting and thanks for your thoughts. I don't recall exactly where that last contest was held or even if it was in close proximity to the Baltimore area. I think there are any number of positive aspects to this idea. Those interested in seeing this idea go forward are presently in the process of determining cost effectiveness. The other logisitics will be looked at following that item. I personally think that cooperation from a number of organizations (other then DCA and it's member Corps) is important and can make a big difference in the success of this venture. But let's keep in mind that at this stage it is just an idea and there is nothing written "in stone" as of yet.

a show on the 4th of july weekends sounds like a great idea with all the corps in the area. however, how many corps would be on their "a" game after doing how many parades in one day or over several days. not to mention, no rehearsal time on a field. a friday or monday show may not be possible due to people's work schedule. and lastly, how many corps are gonna pass up a paying parade??

The 4 points that you make are spot on!

The Buccaneers did participate in the show that Shenandoah Sound sponsored in Manassas, VA over the July 4th weekend in 2008. Regarding the points made by the above poster, on that weekend in 2008, the planets aligned for our drum corps and that allowed us to be part of the show.

Jerry

The 4 points that you make are spot on!

The Buccaneers did participate in the show that Shenandoah Sound sponsored in Manassas, VA over the July 4th weekend in 2008. Regarding the points made by the above poster, on that weekend in 2008, the planets aligned for our drum corps and that allowed us to be part of the show.

Jerry

1) Manassas, Va. is 70 miles southwest of Baltimore while Dundalk, Towson, Arbutus and Catonsville are all within a 1 to 1 mile and 1/2 of center of Baltimore (the Inner Harbor is considered the center). Bel Air is 32 miles and Havre de Grace is 41 miles notheast of Baltimore. From a logistical stand point I would think that proximity to Baltimore is the operative word here.

2) If, as was mentioned by Jeff Ream that, there is a possibility that DCA Finals might be held in Annapolis, Md. in 2012, this would be great advertising for that event.

3) Personally I would think that Towson, MD. would be the PERFECT location for this contest. Lodging and shower facilities as well as practice fields would be available and able to accommodate in all probability all of the Drum Corps in question.

4) If there can be enough cooperation from other organizations there would be no need for any Drum Corps to give up any parades and lose out on that revenue. Besides there would be revenue received for participation in the contest itself.

AGAIN, all of the above are contingent upon those interested in seeing this go forward can determine if such an idea is feasible. I'm not trying to put the horse before the cart here, but I also think that the above mention positives offset those negatives mentioned. And that is not to say that those comments aren't welcomed, they most definitley are. I think that we learned from those situations and there are things we can do to see that they are not repeated and STILL put forth a viable prouct.

Ive done 4 parades in one day and had to do two full runs of the show that same night. It was not fun and was very tiring but I would do it again if I was able.

I think the parades/ show weekend would be a great idea if coordinated properly and had full participation.

Personally I would think that Towson, MD. would be the PERFECT location for this contest.

I agree, on two points in particular:

1) Towson U. has a great stadium for a regular-season show.

2) The stadium is 15 minutes from my house. :lol:

Dante had once written that time becomes irrelevent in the 7th circle of hell. :lol:

I agree, on two points in particular:

1) Towson U. has a great stadium for a regular-season show.

BINGO!!!!! As well as all the practice fields you could ask for. And the stadium would be great, even for DCA Finals.

2) The stadium is 15 minutes from my house. :tongue:

Okay, everyone to Fran's house for dinner. Make sure to wear you favorite Hawaiian shirt to confuse the neighbors. :tongue:

Unless you have a committment from basically the Top 10 I don't think you have the ability to fill a stadium of that size to make its cost worthwhile.

BINGO!!!!! As well as all the practice fields you could ask for. And the stadium would be great, even for DCA Finals.

Okay, everyone to Fran's house for dinner. Make sure to wear you favorite Hawaiian shirt to confuse the neighbors. :tongue:

Towson is limited in concessions for a finals show to be honest, as well as rules about certain things being sold at the facility.