Academy question

I think The Academy is doing the right thing which is to stay within their budget, build a Corps that in future years can legitimately compete for a finalist spot, or higher. Corps like Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Academy, Cascades, Jersey Surf, have zero chance of making finals this year. These Corps will have 7 or less competitions under their belt by this Saturday. All the Corps that are legitimate Finalist contenders all have a minimum of double the number of competitons ( between 12-18 ) by the time Saturday's regionals in Minneapolis take place. Only Corps with a legitimate shot of making Finals come August should take on the cost of going to the Regionals in Minnesota here on July 17th, if there is considerable distance involved in getting to Minnesota from the Corps home base.

How exactly did you determine that the Academy or any of the other corps you mentioned have "zero" chance of making finals? That seems like a fairly presumptuous statement.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How exactly did you determine that the Academy or any of the other corps you mentioned have "zero" chance of making finals? That seems like a fairly presumptuous statement.

It's a prediction. We do this all the time on here with Corps. All Corps. If you think that The Academy has a higher chance of making Finals than I gave it, that's your opinion, and I'm cool with it.

I based my prediction on my belief the judging community will not consider a Corps for Finals top 12 when that Corps doesn't do all the Regionals, nor do around the same number of competitions as the other Corps competing for the 12th spot. Academy will have done 6 competitions by tonite. Some Finalist Corps will have done as many as 18.. 3 times as many. If you think that Academy can do a limited touring schedule, half the shows, and make Finals. Fine. I predict they have zero chance. I stand by my statement. Relax. It's just a prediction and my estimate of their chances, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm no homer ........... but I think it's pretty brash to make a statement like that about Academy having ZERO shot at finals. The 12 Spot is vulnerable this year just like any other. If any corps in the list posted has a shot at all ........ it's The Academy. I'm sure the Glassmen and a few other corps who are doing "full tours" will have something to say about that ..... but we'll see what happens come finals week.

I'll say it. And take some grief with the local team for saying it....but the Academy has zero shot at making Saturday night....THIS YEAR.

13th...perhaps. But, Madison's rise back up means the Troopers have zero shot at Finals as well. And as far as I can tell, Troopers to date haven't topped Academy in any head to head. So, while Academy may not have a shot this year, it is not fair to lump them in with PC, Mandarins, Pioneer, etc. The Academy has been in that top second tier (Colts, Madison, Troopers) since they became WC in 2007. The other corps mentioned have not placed 13th in semifinals ever, or not very recently at least.

It's a prediction. We do this all the time on here with Corps. All Corps. If you think that The Academy has a higher chance of making Finals than I gave it, that's your opinion, and I'm cool with it.

I based my prediction on my belief the judging community will not consider a Corps for Finals top 12 when that Corps doesn't do all the Regionals, nor do around the same number of competitions as the other Corps competing for the 12th spot. Academy will have done 6 competitions by tonite. Some Finalist Corps will have done as many as 18.. 3 times as many. If you think that Academy can do a limited touring schedule, half the shows, and make Finals. Fine. I predict they have zero chance. I stand by my statement. Relax. It's just a prediction and my estimate of their chances, imo.

It really has far less to do with the number of performances than you think. Yes, time in front of judges is important, but on the flip side, I have seen judges fatigue over shows they see night in and night out with little change occurring. So, performing poorly in front of judges over a week's span can actually do more harm than not being there at all.

I think the main reason Academy will not make finals this year is because one corps, Madison is much better than last year. Troopers performance this year so far is not on par with last year's offering so they will move out of the Top 12. Madison in...Troopers out. Academy is playing for 13th at this point.

It really has far less to do with the number of performances than you think. Yes, time in front of judges is important, but on the flip side, I have seen judges fatigue over shows they see night in and night out with little change occurring. So, performing poorly in front of judges over a week's span can actually do more harm than not being there at all.

I think the main reason Academy will not make finals this year is because one corps, Madison is much better than last year. Troopers performance this year so far is not on par with last year's offering so they will move out of the Top 12. Madison in...Troopers out. Academy is playing for 13th at this point.

Makes sense.

How many times have you seen Academy perform this year? Everyone is predicting the obvious in that Scouts will make top twelve. My only concern with that is that Madison's show doesn't seem to have the level of demand that the other corps fighting for those last finalist spots corps do. It is apparent to me that at this point Glassmen need to do a lot of cleaning, but have more demand and exposure than Scouts. (of course this is just from my view from fan network, the site we do not speak of and early season scores).

I remember when I saw Academy last year here in Houston they were VERY dirty and I thought they would be lucky to make semis. But they really seemed to have gotten it together in the last couple of weeks before finals. Of course we should have a pretty good idea when we see the recaps tomorrow night. I mean who would have guessed in 2008 that the corps that placed 4th at San Antonio by over 2.5 points would go on to take the championship.

So as the saying goes... "nobody knows nothing".

Edited by musclebud

How many times have you seen Academy perform this year? Everyone is predicting the obvious in that Scouts will make top twelve. My only concern with that is that Madison's show doesn't seem to have the level of demand that the other top 12 corps do. It is apparent to me that at this point Glassmen need to do a lot of cleaning, but have more demand and exposure than Scouts. (of course this is just from my view from fan network, the site we do not speak of and early season scores).

I remember when I saw Academy last year here in Houston they were VERY dirty and I thought they would be lucky to make semis. But they really seemed to have gotten it together in the last couple of weeks before finals. Of course we should have a pretty good idea when we see the recaps tomorrow night. I mean who would have guessed in 2008 that the corps that placed 4th at San Antonio by over 2.5 points would go on to take the championship.

Academy is not in the Minneapolis regional, so we won't know until Tejas. My gut tells me...they will be hanging with Troopers and Colts better than a point behind Scouts who will occupy 11th and about the same distance behind GMen who will be tenths away from Scouts.

Now the story of the early season seems to be BKs re-emergence. When you look at the early season Mesa, AZ scores, the Academy weren't all that far behind BK. But, BKs show has latched onto the judges and fans. And...their encore was splendid. Now that DCI has encore performances....I suggest whenever possible...spend the royalty money and purchase an arrangement of a great tune...the 4 Seasons was classic. I don't need to see a standstill version of a portion of your show. Just a thought.

Academy is not in the Minneapolis regional, so we won't know until Tejas. My gut tells me...they will be hanging with Troopers and Colts better than a point behind Scouts who will occupy 11th and about the same distance behind GMen who will be tenths away from Scouts.

Now the story of the early season seems to be BKs re-emergence. When you look at the early season Mesa, AZ scores, the Academy weren't all that far behind BK. But, BKs show has latched onto the judges and fans. And...their encore was splendid. Now that DCI has encore performances....I suggest whenever possible...spend the royalty money and purchase an arrangement of a great tune...the 4 Seasons was classic. I don't need to see a standstill version of a portion of your show. Just a thought.

I don't see Academy catching BK; they were close, but I'm definitely in the mind set that it takes BK a few shows to really get their groove. However, I definitely see Academy topping Troopers when they come back out of the gate. They were rocking the music caption when they last met, and when I saw them in Walnut they sounded even better. Historically, Academy is phenomenal at music; it's visual that hurts them. With their rehearsal weeks, I think they'll be rocking that caption too.

So basically, Troop is threatening Madison's shot at the Saturday show, and I think Academy is going to threaten Troop's shot, so Academy definitely has a solid chance at Saturday night!

How many times have you seen Academy perform this year?

Well, if the criteria to make placement predictions is having seen all the Corps, I think we can agree right now to eliminate all of the placement predictions from last September until today. That's because I don't think that hardly any of the posters making predictions has seen all the World Class Corps this year.

" Nobody knows nothing " has never prevented us from making placement predictions before.

I don't think we're about to start now, musclebud.

Edited by BRASSO

I have a question .. this is the 2nd thread started by the OP about a particular Corp. The other is “Phantoms Guard” .. I’m sorry but I have to ask, why two threads questioning why something is done a particular way, or why a certain part of a Corp is scoring low? Are you looking for actual answers or trying to “stir the pot”? Just curious.