Academy question

What are they doing right now? They dont have a show frum july 5th-16th. but they dont have any real competition till the 22nd. They dont leave the west coast until the Texas shows. They have yet to play in front of a full panel so they dont really know what they need to fix. So is this a good idea?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are they doing right now? They dont have a show frum july 5th-16th. but they dont have any real competition till the 22nd. They dont leave the west coast until the Texas shows. They have yet to play in front of a full panel so they dont really know what they need to fix. So is this a good idea?

Change camp based on early season feedback? I'm not sure how Academy operates typically but it would seem that taking so many days off from competing implies a mid-season camp.

Change camp based on early season feedback? I'm not sure how Academy operates typically but it would seem that taking so many days off from competing implies a mid-season camp.

No they just completed their camp at my school and are back to practicing in the Arizona heat with limited time to practice mornings and evenings until the sun goes down.

Temp is expected to hit 115 by weeks end.

This is nothing new. Academy, PC and Mandarins usually hang back on the west coast a little longer. Although I'd prefer to see them out more, anything that keeps them running from year to year is fine by me.

With the 13th place and up corps (and even a few in the top 12), the number one thing they need to be working on is basics. Getting ticked for bent wrists, poor posture, foot timing, sound quality, etc. are a lot of what hurts these corps in the final week. These corps don't need to see judges every night to know what they need to work on. They need rehearsal time, which is exactly what they're doing. Whether it be on the road or on their home field, I think Academy is doing the right thing by cleaning things up a lot before they head onto the road for the full tour.

With the 13th place and up corps (and even a few in the top 12), the number one thing they need to be working on is basics. Getting ticked for bent wrists, poor posture, foot timing, sound quality, etc. are a lot of what hurts these corps in the final week. These corps don't need to see judges every night to know what they need to work on. They need rehearsal time, which is exactly what they're doing. Whether it be on the road or on their home field, I think Academy is doing the right thing by cleaning things up a lot before they head onto the road for the full tour.

but atleast 1 full panel show could have helped in the subcaptions to work on in this long break.

but atleast 1 full panel show could have helped in the subcaptions to work on in this long break.

I drove out to where they rehearse last night to see them go, and man are they going to come out of the gate roaring. Their brassline sounds wicked.

Perhaps I can help with the concern.

Part of this is planned based on the lack of West Coast shows and also to conserve resources...lower possibility of mounting big debt.

Drum corps is a business and if traveling to Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming costs the corps $X and they receive something less than $X than that money has to be found in other areas. If those other areas are of concern, then the safe route is to stay home and rehearse which costs $Y. (far less than $X).

So, cost has something to do with it. Also, they did a West Coast swing and what is usually a second west coast swing is Seniors and Opens and a couple of WC but no BD and no SCV. So, it might have been a wise choice to hang near home and work out the early season kinks and make some changes.

Miss seeing them? Tell Mark Richardson. He will be glad to share it with the kids. Sometimes it's good to be missed.