State of drum corps manifesto

I agree with what you are saying and have already left DCI a couple of years ago now. My question to you is, since you are/were so involved with your corps did you do anything to voice your concerns to the powers that be at Bluecoats? They have been one of the more pro-amps, voice, electronics than many of the other corps have.

I left the board of directors in 2007 just as this was taking off. I was definitely anti A&E but the decisions were made at the DCI level by the directors who practically mandated this as a necessity for being competitive/creative.

DW

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhhh, no, to all of this.

Okay.

However, things aren't going to change back to recapture the magic as it were, "aesthetically" or not . . .which leads us right back to the "I know what's best for drum corps" argument: one most of us are destined to lose.

I'm not trying to offend with the "passing you by" statement, but what you originally wrote was a lot like how I felt about the activity before I "made my peace" with it as I described. Apologies if it came off that way.

I don't know that any of us can ever speak for the majority of the fans, no matter how much people sat on their hands at a certain show.

Having said all this: you've now stated your case.

What do you propose we do as an activity to fix things?

OK, up front, I will admit I have been attending shows across the Midwest and Finals since 1992.

With that said, I will make one observation.

The screaming fans I used to see were recent age-outs who continued to follow their beloved corps for as many years as they could.

Now, I dont see as many of these 'rabid' fans.

...a pure and simple fact.

We are starting to 'vote' for drum corps using our $s.

The age-outs are disappearing.

This kind of "hat tip" reply with a "don't let the door kick you" just pisses me off on so many levels.

I wasn't sure what to say because I was afraid of people thinking I was making a personal attack.

Thank you for saying it in the right way.

what a horrid thing to say. you really think your experience in drum corps was better. that's what this is about for you.

just sad.

So you are equating the fact that members of the Bluecoats for the past 25 years who love this feeling as the end all be all of what we got out of our experience? Now THAT is sad! Haha. Seriously, you couldn't have possibly thought that I'm trying to make this into the "back in my day" line?!

Let me give you a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I was there in '88 when Madison won. It was insane. BD should have won that year hands down (in my mind anyway). SCV fans thought they should have won (and they had a great argument). Heck Garfield could have won it too had that drum line played a little better. From 1-17 on Friday and Saturday of Finals week in '88 the audiences were going nuts for every performance. I was a Bluecoats honk ('88 was my brother's rookie year and the Bluecoats second in finals) and I was screaming my head off for: Suncoast, Phantom, SCV, BD, Madison, Crossmen, Florida Wave, Sky Ryders, Freelancers, Garfield, Spirit....they all had incredibly powerful and aesthetic shows (meaning they communicated on a DEEP emotional level with their audience through their performance). I wasn't the only one. The other 39,999 people sitting around me were doing the same (regardless of their corps affiliation) because every show was moving them so much.

Go back and watch the video of Madison's closing set in '88. If you can show me you've seen THAT crowd anytime in the last 10 years, I'll eat my words....and gladly, because it will prove that I'm wrong, and to be honest, I hope I am.

DW

OK, up front, I will admit I have been attending shows across the Midwest and Finals since 1992.

With that said, I will make one observation.

The screaming fans I used to see were recent age-outs who continued to follow their beloved corps for as many years as they could.

Now, I dont see as many of these 'rabid' fans.

...a pure and simple fact.

We are starting to 'vote' for drum corps using our $s.

The age-outs are disappearing.

Let's go to instant replay! Check out finals videos in '88 (Madison), '95 (Bluecoats), Spirit of Atlanta (late 70s), Bridgemen, VK from the 80s, Cavies (late 90s to early 00s), Phantom Regiment from any of the years when they were 1 or 2......crazy crazy reactions for all segments of the audience. You couldn't help it because what you were seeing was so powerfully emotional and you knew it.

Oh garsh...A disgruntled fan who isn't pleased with the direction of the activity. Thank you for the time you've give to drum corps. Now, if you don't enjoy the product and it isn't worth your money to attend, stop complaining and stop attending shows. The end. DCI will go on, I promise.

and I remember people saying that about AL, VFW, and many circuts around the country.

Okay.

However, things aren't going to change back to recapture the magic as it were, "aesthetically" or not . . .which leads us right back to the "I know what's best for drum corps" argument: one most of us are destined to lose.

I'm not trying to offend with the "passing you by" statement, but what you originally wrote was a lot like how I felt about the activity before I "made my peace" with it as I described. Apologies if it came off that way.

I don't know that any of us can ever speak for the majority of the fans, no matter how much people sat on their hands at a certain show.

Having said all this: you've now stated your case.

What do you propose we do as an activity to fix things?

Judging criteria needs to be completely overhauled...that would be a start. What is accepted as excellence in design and excellence in general effect have become so blurred.

DW

Why is it that SCV 09 was the greatest show since cracker jacks to most older drumcorps fans?

Because we have a CLUE ?

< insert rimshot here>

If kids marching today came on here and bashed stuff from the early 90s like this, it would be interesting to see the reactions.

They don't, and it's not because they often don't find the stuff from 2 decades ago to be un-entertaining. Most are respectful of those who came before them even if they don't find the shows invigorating.