Thank you for a fantastic and thorough review. And may no flames be thrown your way!!

And a particular thanks for the props to our Front Ensemble! Front Ensembles have a tendency (in all corps) to get overlooked, especially by brass guys!

Wyatt, you have a very tight ensemble this year !

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great review W.

Ditto.... :cool:

Great review.

Though Donna and I won't be there, I hope your able to make it to Scranton AND post another review!

This thread made me decide to buy the DVDs of finals again (although I'm never sure that the DVD quality will measure up to the corps' performance quality.....they haven't in some time.)

I do believe I read back in the winter that DCA isn't using BVP Marching Videos anymore. I was so disappointed with the quality of them when I finally got them in the mail. The new company is Box 5 Productions who are supposed to be very good! I can't wait to (hopefully) see a big difference in the quality this year!!!!

DCA announcement of new media company for 2010

hey, how are you? See you in Scranton...what will we do without Doc this year??

I think I can be there. And as usual, my guess is you were at Lewisburg and I of course missed you- I asked around, no one knew!

I do believe I read back in the winter that DCA isn't using BVP Marching Videos anymore. I was so disappointed with the quality of them when I finally got them in the mail. The new company is Box 5 Productions who are supposed to be very good! I can't wait to (hopefully) see a big difference in the quality this year!!!!

DCA announcement of new media company for 2010

Agreed.....

I was a bit disappointed when I looked at the "packages" that will be available. I was pleased to have the 2009 (edited to correct date) alumni, mini, and Finals set...... although the sound was inconsistent even from set to set.

I hope the same package will be available.

Edited by JoeDz

Next up was a rather pleasant suprise for me- Scout House! I'd known about them for decades, always well-regarded, and it checks off something I've always wanted to see and was curious about.

According to their write-up, they average 60 years of age. I was really worried they'd not hold up- I mean, the sun was still glaring hard at 715PM. Evidently, I shouldn't have been so worried. They came on with their British-style arm-swinging prance step, tall flags, guidons, the whole nine yards, and provided a real quality look into the activity's past. Traditional drill- well-written and appropriate, I may add, and some wonderful arrangements.

I particularly want to call out the really nice low brass sound they generate and that the arrangments showcase. It's rather unique for corps of that period to do so, but it certainly gave the Scout House a unique and delicious flavor when I listened.

Great Flag Pre, wonderful and slick period arrangement of "Waltzing Matilda", and another lovely arrangement of "colonel Bogey" off the field.

Also neat to see the single tenors with the mush-mallets and the old-school scottish sticking flourishes done very well.

All in all, Scout House certainly was a treat I appreciated, especially knowing how hot it was and how tough that made ot for them.

Oh-- and the other crazy thing, Jim Fawber take note-- They guard the Canadian flag with a pistol! Now that was a twist on a theme!!!!

It did reinforce Fran's comments on another thread that I jumped in with him about- Performances like these aren't "filler"--they're far beyond that kind of nasty connotation.

Thanks for your excellent review of the show and all the participants but especially for your kind words about Scout House. If even a small portion of the audience ennjoyed our show as much as you suggest it makes the work well worth our while.

We put more than 80 people on the field; we brought a "support staff" (spouses, friends, family, instructors, etc.) of more than thirty; we travelled eight hours in two busses and a dozen automobiles; we spent quite some time at the border to convince your "border guards" that no - we were not professionals, we were not being "paid", and we were not in any way "taking a job from an American band". We stayed two nights in a local hotel, ate many meals in local restaurants, and were welcomed with open arms by two very grateful Lewiston "beer barns".

So although we did not "win the contest" or receive a score from the judges, we did have a wonderful time and hope to come back again next year. It's what the boys (and now girls) of Scout House do and have done since 1938.

Yes, there may have been a small gap of about thirty years roughly between 1968 and 1998 when the Bb horns of "Canada's Famous Bugle Band" were quiet, but as long as the fans are enjoying our efforts I'm quite sure the "band" will be performing for many years to come.

Thanks for the kind words about the Cabs Alumni, BigW. As you can see, we are very 'old 'school,' we like what we do, and we want to do it well. I guess that shows. It's always nice when someone appreciates it here in the show reviews.

Incidentally, the mellophone soloist in 'Rio/Peanut Vendor' is Bill Gibbons, and I agree he does a fantastic job! :worthy:

I think I can be there. And as usual, my guess is you were at Lewisburg and I of course missed you- I asked around, no one knew!

Nope, we were not in Lewisburg... :thumbup: The heat and humidity of summer has sidelined me to the air conditioning of indoors these days. (health related :worthy: )