DCA has let it be known the race for 2nd has begun.

Yeah...sorry, I kind of read it as "the race for first was over on day 1 of the season, so enjoy fighting for second". I dont even particularly care who winds, as long as its an interesting season, which like you said, is tough when a corps is that far ahead.

"Interesting Season/So far Ahead":

Truer words never spoken. :worthy: I wonder what impact this will have on DCA Weekends ticket sales, or for that matter, attendanace/ticket sales at the remaing DCA contests of 2010.

Comments, concerns.... :thumbup:

Elphaba

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking very much forward to the DCA championships regardless of the placements. Even if the placements were a lock going into the final show, I'd still be excited about going. I understand that this is a competitive activity and that energy drives the quality we will see on the field. But it isn't all about winning. There is a subjective element to evaluating and judging these performances which is why there will always be a debate over scores and placements. But I agree with the comments that winning every caption drives a larger spread.

Last year was by far the most fun I've ever had at a drum corps show and I'm not expecting any let down this year even though it seems as if the Bucc's are well ahead of the field at this point. I did have quite a bit of fun at DCI Minnesota dodging lightning and tornados and spending time with 10,000 of my intimate friends in the bathrooms and basement of TCF Stadium. I thought it rained hard in Rochester in 2006. Man, it was absolutely torrential in Minneapolis last Saturday evening. Great show up to that point, however and MBI had a nice performance. Also enjoyed the Govies show.

I find it mind boggling that people mention NOT going to championships because they think they know who will win. What happened to enjoying all corps? What happened to recognizing that by raising the bar once again, our 5 time champion has pulled along many other corps with them... When you have the 50 plus years experience I do, it's not rhetoric when you say that prior to this bucs run 4 or 5 corps with this year's show would have WON the championship...

This explains some of the performer frustration as they and their staff KNOW they are MUCH better this year...

So with so many wonderful programs out there, why would anyone even talk of staying away?

See you all in Rochester. This is your opportunity of a lifetime to see the best dca championship EVER...

So with so many wonderful programs out there, why would anyone even talk of staying away?

Bitterness? Envy or jealousy??

I could care less about the scoring disparity, my opinion doesn't do squat to change it. I just wanted to comment on your "golf applause/standing O" analysis. I've always cared about crowd reaction more than anything, so I always look to see how everyone else besides the judges take in the show.

From my perspective, Hurcs got the biggest ovation (most people standing up after 5 seconds of the show ending) than anyother corps. Bucs only got the back few rows to stand, and empire about half the crowd (Both of which I was surprised about). Empire definitely got the most applause DURING their show than anyone else though.

Again, just my persepctive of the evening.

And there's the rub... Empire got applause DURING their show... that is the EFFECT or "result" they are looking for...

You would be amazed by how many judges don't know the difference between EFFECT and AFFECT.

"You really got the EFFECT you were looking for" versus "I was deeply AFFECTed by how gracefully your hornline does ballet."

Engaging the audience should be rewarded... in fact, it is more deserving.

Quote from Empire founder Vince Bruni (from around 1989-90-ish):

"If you based your show only on impressing 9 judges, then pretty soon that's all you'll have in the stands."

And there's the rub... Empire got applause DURING their show... that is the EFFECT or "result" they are looking for...

You would be amazed by how many judges don't know the difference between EFFECT and AFFECT.

"You really got the EFFECT you were looking for" versus "I was deeply AFFECTed by how gracefully your hornline does ballet."

"If you based your show only on impressing 9 judges, then pretty soon that's all you'll have in the stands."

Everyone got applause during their show at some point.

Ah yes the wise one Mr Allen has the GE caption nailed down.

Just so the rest of you know this:

Affect is always a verb. it means to bring on or cause a change, or to cause emotion, to provoke feelings (good or bad). it can also mean to adopt a false characteristic.

Effect can be either a noun or a verb. As a noun, it means the result of something (cause and effect).

As a verb, it means the same thing as the verb "effectuate", which means to bring about, or to accomplish.

Mr Allen you are a profound man and speak with much knowledge and truth.

All I know is that someone is going to get smart and work at fixing their shows deficiencies and make a run at the 5X champions this year. WHO WILL IT BE? That's the question.

Spruce

:worthy:

I find it mind boggling that people mention NOT going to championships because they think they know who will win. What happened to enjoying all corps? What happened to recognizing that by raising the bar once again, our 5 time champion has pulled along many other corps with them... When you have the 50 plus years experience I do, it's not rhetoric when you say that prior to this bucs run 4 or 5 corps with this year's show would have WON the championship...

This explains some of the performer frustration as they and their staff KNOW they are MUCH better this year...

See you all in Rochester. This is your opportunity of a lifetime to see the best dca championship EVER...

It's 57 bucks a seat and the same team wins every year. I don't blame a casual fan for thinking they've already seen this movie and choose to skip it this year.

Prelims, Finals, Alumni... it is very close to the price of a 7 day Club Pass at the Jazz Fest.

It's about value.

Edited by Tom D'Bomb