BERPs

BERP's are GREAT.......you can use a lot more pressure using them when buzzing. :worthy:

-G

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered one for a grand total of $17.51 after tax, should be here in like a week in a half. On the waste of money, I think it is if you play in alot of concert settings cause you can do it while sitting in a chair. Though alot of my playing is done on a football field, so when we march with horns only no playing I would prefer to buzz at times going from set to set. Cause when it gets cold, playing then not playing then playing again kills my chops.

I say whatever works for you, go for it. Coincidentally I had one in my hand this morning at the local music store, but put it back - a little faddish IMO, and not something I would likely form enough of a habit using to do any more good.

but we are talking about some old tired lips here too.....

I say whatever works for you, go for it. Coincidentally I had one in my hand this morning at the local music store, but put it back - a little faddish IMO, and not something I would likely form enough of a habit using to do any more good.

but we are talking about some old tired lips here too.....

Honestly, they're not that faddish. They've been around since the late 80's. They serve more than a few purposes as well.

Food for thought.

1. Check your timing of your tonguing with your fingering (yeah that sounds bad .. but it's true).

2. Adjustable resistance allows you to get the "real horn" feel while buzzing.

3. Gives you the flexibility of buzzing 2-3 octaves while having your hands on your horn like normal (including any octave key usage you prefer :P )

4. Double and triple tonguing passages on a BERP while fingering is indispensable.

Want to get more advanced? Throw in some ear plugs and have at it!

There's two different topics being addressed here.

You should separate whether the BERP is good from whether buzzing is good.

I think the BERP is a complete waste of money. It's a device that fixes a non-issue. You're paying for something that you can easily do just as well without it. I say save your money.

I'm lazy so the BERP is good for me. :worthy:

Having used the BERP extensively over the last few years, I've recently become a HUGE fan of the BuzzMaster, produced by Warburton. You can get info about the BuzzMaster here.

I like the BuzzMaster better because you can use it anywhere, and it's not attached to the instrument. At Teal we use the BuzzMaster everyday as part of our daily routine, and it's really paying off.

Honestly, they're not that faddish. They've been around since the late 80's. They serve more than a few purposes as well.

Food for thought.

1. Check your timing of your tonguing with your fingering (yeah that sounds bad .. but it's true).

2. Adjustable resistance allows you to get the "real horn" feel while buzzing.

3. Gives you the flexibility of buzzing 2-3 octaves while having your hands on your horn like normal (including any octave key usage you prefer :P )

4. Double and triple tonguing passages on a BERP while fingering is indispensable.

Want to get more advanced? Throw in some ear plugs and have at it!

definitely no argument from me. of course if it is a useful tool for someone else, no reason not to try it. my comments were specific to my situation - sorry for the broad brushing!

YES! They are great and would highly suggest buying one! As a music major when I was a undergrad, it was proven that if you can buzz the tune, you can play the tune. A sound through a brass instrument is a harmonic amplification of the buzz that you produce. When you can hear a tune, you can play a tune. I hope you end up getting one, it will only further boost your brass playing.