Penalties

This isn't ambiguous at all. The judging starts as soon as the announcer stops talking.

I agree that it isn't ambiguous.

It's just lame.

It's much more impressive to see a corps stand up straight, motionless and quiet as a group (used to be called "at attention" back when military terms were OK).

The corps kinds starts playing and moving around and then the announcer starts talking, and the audience says "oh, I think they're doing something, maybe we should watch."

A basic principle of entertainment (or any type of presentation to an audience) is to FIRST get the audience's attention. HEY, WE ARE ABOUT TO DO SOMETHING GREAT! SIT UP AND TAKE NOTICE! HERE WE GO!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So its ok to assess a penalty for starting late but its still ok to stop your show early because it isn't finished ( penalty free ). Thats OK?

There's still a minimum time they have to fill, so no, it's not.

I can see getting penalized for an on-field infraction like dropped equipment or stepping out of bounce inadverantly, but it's impossible for a corps to control the traffic on the highways. Anyone who commutes to work knows that. Also, how would you access a penalty like that? Would it be so many points per hour or so many cents per second? Sounds crazy to me. :laughing:

I agree that it isn't ambiguous.

It's just lame.

It's much more impressive to see a corps stand up straight, motionless and quiet as a group (used to be called "at attention" back when military terms were OK).

The corps kinds starts playing and moving around and then the announcer starts talking, and the audience says "oh, I think they're doing something, maybe we should watch."

A basic principle of entertainment (or any type of presentation to an audience) is to FIRST get the audience's attention. HEY, WE ARE ABOUT TO DO SOMETHING GREAT! SIT UP AND TAKE NOTICE! HERE WE GO!

Umm, yeah. That's what the pre-show and announcement are for.

So its ok to assess a penalty for starting late but its still ok to stop your show early because it isn't finished ( penalty free ). Thats OK?

if that was directed at me, I have posted in other threads that I am very in favor of penalties when corps don't meet the time requirement. Especially for only putting out 80% of their show.

I can see getting penalized for an on-field infraction like dropped equipment or stepping out of bounce inadverantly, but it's impossible for a corps to control the traffic on the highways. Anyone who commutes to work knows that. Also, how would you access a penalty like that? Would it be so many points per hour or so many cents per second? Sounds crazy to me. :laughing:

can you show up late to work with no ramifications?

Umm, yeah. That's what the pre-show and announcement are for.

If that is the intention of the pre-show/rolling start, it fails its purpose (with a few exceptions such as Phantom 08, which was a set-up for the show, not the begining of the show itself).

I don't hate preshows just because of the idea of them, it's just unoriginal now when everyone has to have one and when they don't make sense/add anything.

What I really liked about Phantom 06 was how fast and abruptly it started with no fluff in front of it. Granted preshows weren't so common that year but the timing of the start was a lot more memorable than most preshows now are. To me.

you know, its an advantage to go on late, so if you didn't penalize a corps for a late arrival and just let them go on when they got there and said, "we understand, caught in traffic"-- more and more corps would get caught in traffic to try to get the last performance spot. They have to penalize for late arrival--but since the next night's performance slot is not determined by the previous night's placement anymore, it really doesn't matter that much. Even if the rule was that they had to go on in exhibition if they arrived late it wouldn't matter that much.

There's already been a thread concerning this matter. And it was later found that DCI took the penalty off. Go look at the recap. Check your stuff before you make a post that had everything to do with one that's already been made...and oh by the way got removed because the penalty wasn't true.