Really?!?

How much do I wish I had never known about this. In the past month or so back on DCP (having fallen away during the off season yet again), I have been having a grand old time lurking, listening, occasionally dropping in, mainly for some whimsical antagonism.

And then this . . .

I had seen brief references to G7 in other posts ("How dare you question G7 quality? lol), and assumed it was a joke that had popped up in the off season. All this time I have been blissfully ignorant of it's true meaning.

Unbelievable.

This whole idea reminds me very much of the way North Korea is run. I am saddened and dismayed that individuals in this activity could have put together some of the statements in this document.

The rank arrogance of it has been mentioned with great appropriateness elsewhere on this forum, and I would imagine that others have brought up placements and quality levels of "G7" shows and corps as little as a decade ago already, so I will not bother.

All the questions that I have read on this forum are fabulous ones, and mirror my own thoughts. I am mainly up tonight, writing this to have stood up somewhere at least, even behind the mask of internet anonymity, on this night to say: "Shame on you."

Although I appreciate the position he has been put in, Dan Acheson is far too kind in his writings and interview to those that let this slide past their lips, onto paper and into an official setting in this manner.

How throughly have the writers of this proposal forgotten the lessons they learned in corps. What. tragedy that this proud activity has becomes as ugly as a third world dictatorship.

How much do I wish I had never known about this. In the past month or so back on DCP (having fallen away during the off season yet again), I have been having a grand old time lurking, listening, occasionally dropping in, mainly for some whimsical antagonism.

And then this . . .

I had seen brief references to G7 in other posts ("How dare you question G7 quality? lol), and assumed it was a joke that had popped up in the off season. All this time I have been blissfully ignorant of it's true meaning.

Unbelievable.

This whole idea reminds me very much of the way North Korea is run. I am saddened and dismayed that individuals in this activity could have put together some of the statements in this document.

The rank arrogance of it has been mentioned with great appropriateness elsewhere on this forum, and I would imagine that others have brought up placements and quality levels of "G7" shows and corps as little as a decade ago already, so I will not bother.

All the questions that I have read on this forum are fabulous ones, and mirror my own thoughts. I am mainly up tonight, writing this to have stood up somewhere at least, even behind the mask of internet anonymity, on this night to say: "Shame on you."

Although I appreciate the position he has been put in, Dan Acheson is far too kind in his writings and interview to those that let this slide past their lips, onto paper and into an official setting in this manner.

How throughly have the writers of this proposal forgotten the lessons they learned in corps. What. tragedy that this proud activity has becomes as ugly as a third world dictatorship.

I hear you loud and clear on this...I was actually joking to a few people the other day that they were living under a rock for not hearing about this...I'm getting the impression from the DCP community that the G7 proposal is pretty much dead now anyway. Though that MAY be true, it will be interesting to see exactly what happens at the end of this competitive season.

And then this . . .

Unbelievable.

"Welcome to North Korea":

He shoots, he scores. :unsure:

Elphaba

This whole idea reminds me very much of the way North Korea is run.

You gotta admit, though... that Kim Jong-Il is a pretty snappy dresser. :unsure:

I'm getting the impression from the DCP community that the G7 proposal is pretty much dead now anyway.

Really? It seems like most places I read, it is full steam ahead except for maybe Cavies?

I really have to ask, thought I am sure it is in one of the back pages here, if you had been told ten years ago that Crown would be a part of this group what would you have said (Crown 2000=Mask of Zorro...). I can't even remember what Bluecoats 2000 was. Phantom 2000? Masters of Modern Music, what place was that? 7? 8? lower? BK was 6th that year, and Boston 5th!

If G7 does not go through who will be at their level ten years from now? Could be practically anyone yes?

You gotta admit, though... that Kim Jong-Il is a pretty snappy dresser. :tongue:

"Kim Jong Il":

He's a lot more spiffier than his "Dad", 'Kim Il Sung', who usually was decked out in surplus Chineese or Soviet uniforms... :tongue:

Elphaba

You gotta admit, though... that Kim Jong-Il is a pretty snappy dresser. :tongue:

"Kim Jong Il":

He's a lot more spiffier than his "Dad", 'Kim Il Sung', who usually was decked out in surplus Chineese or Soviet uniforms... :tongue:

Elphaba

And then this . . .

Unbelievable.

I believe, you naysayers, that this is the reason why DCP is relevant and followed closely by the directors, regardless of what they tell the corps.

This poster tells two friends, who tell two friends, and so on, who all come to DCP to understand what's going on. Have you seen the increase in the number of new posters lately?

The word will get out if we keep the fires lit, and not allow this MOST IMPORTANT issue of the activity to remain front and center of the discussion. We can take the shows off and have fun with the season but this issue needs to be known, torn apart for efficacy, and spread throughout the activity.

To the OP, I'm glad you finally stumbled on the biggest issue in the activity. Tell your drum corps friends.

Really? It seems like most places I read, it is full steam ahead except for maybe Cavies?

I really have to ask, thought I am sure it is in one of the back pages here, if you had been told ten years ago that Crown would be a part of this group what would you have said (Crown 2000=Mask of Zorro...). I can't even remember what Bluecoats 2000 was. Phantom 2000? Masters of Modern Music, what place was that? 7? 8? lower? BK was 6th that year, and Boston 5th!

If G7 does not go through who will be at their level ten years from now? Could be practically anyone yes?

Most of my comment below are speculative at best...

In terms of full steam ahead...I seriously doubt it...a new board has replaced the old one...none of the G7 (baring Cavies) showed up for the latest meeting in Minneapolis(not sure what that means exactly?)...I can't speak for what the G7 are planning at the end of the season...but if their choice is to leave..than so be it and good luck with that...I for one will not be supporting them...They MAY succeed for a few years..but the long term viability looks grim at best IMO.

The single greatest travesty will be if the current regime a la the non-G7 let these groups remain with DCI and still allow the G7 to compete for market share using their band extravaganza. This is at the detriment of the other corps and is just NOT RIGHT at its very essence. I guess you could say this is a value-based argument.

I think placement is really not at the route of this discussion at all. Crown has a very different staff now than 2000. One might try and make the connection of DVD and Blast and say this is why CC is on board with the idea, but that would be extremely speculative and unfair as that was never said publicly.

The G7 move has been nothing more than a poorly attempted hostile takeover. I will say with the absence of "competition" aspect that the greatness they have achieved for years will stagnate IMO. These "top acts" are saying that they have the most audience drawing power and will sell the most merchandise etc etc. I find it really hard to believe that is 100% the case. Though they are partly a draw of a certain audience segment, I honestly don't believe they are the whole entire draw...I for one only attend shows that have my beloved Crusaders in them.

I think the "elite" perhaps are beginning to feel the squeeze. The lower placing groups I would argue are getting much closer to them and making them not feel so "elite" anymore.

Edited by Liahona