Say something nice about a 2011 corps/show

this post made my day. It is good to know that their are many FMM's still out there that love and support the activity!! I can't wait to march again this summer!

On the topic of the thread:

BD was the most incredible thing I have ever seen.

I thought the Cadets had the best music book of the year.

Sweet! Cant wait to see you blowing me away in 2011. Keep up the good work, to everyone still marching in our great activity.

Edited by thirdcoast

In the realm that one CAN teach an old dog new tricks, I found the Bluecoats mic'ed solo this year an acceptable addition and change.

I am not opposed to the mic'd brass solo when it is done in this fashion either.

The mic' ed solo is ok when it is done like the Bluecoats did this year for the following reasons ( my opinion only here ):

1) it was not an artificially induced, synthetic sound production. It took a real actual brass solo and simply turned up the volume for the audience.

2) the microphone was not a distraction. It was not in the way of other things happening on the field.

3) the mic'ed solo was not so loud and obtrusive that it interferred with this fans hearing of the other musical sections.

4) it enhanced the listening pleasure of this fan, as the volume increase added to my hearing pleaaure of the solo better from the distance in the stands.... and it did not interfere with other visual moments taking place on the field.

5) most other musical theatre productions also amplify the sound to add to the listening pleasure of it's audience.

6) a mic'ed brass solo in my opinion does not blur the activity and create confusion that this is anything but" Drum Corps", as the brass instrument that was mic'ed was clearly in the Drum Corps traditional instrument realm, imo.

So there.... not all " dinosaurs " can't, or won't, accept some degree of innovation and change.

Edited by BRASSO

In the realm that one CAN teach an old dog new tricks, I found the Bluecoats mic'ed solo this year an acceptable addition and change.

I am not opposed to the mic'd brass solo when it is done in this fashion either.

The mic' ed solo is ok when it is done like the Bluecoats did this year for the following reasons ( my opinion only here ):

1) it was not an artificially induced, synthetic sound production. It took a real actual brass solo and simply turned up the volume for the audience.

2) the microphone was not a distraction. It was not in the way of other things happening on the field.

3) the mic'ed solo was not so loud and obtrusive that it interferred with this fans hearing of the other musical sections.

4) it enhanced the listening pleasure of this fan, as the volume increase added to my hearing pleaaure of the solo better from the distance in the stands.... and it did not interfere with other visual moments taking place on the field.

5) most other musical theatre productions also amplify the sound to add to the listening pleasure of it's audience.

6) a mic'ed brass solo in my opinion does not blur the activity and create confusion that this is anything but" Drum Corps", as the brass instrument that was mic'ed was clearly in the Drum Corps traditional instrument realm, imo.

So there.... not all " dinosaurs " can't, or won't, accept some degree of innovation and change.

Good Boy Brasso! (Tosses him a goat as a snack) :smile:

In all seriousness however... I am completely in agreement with BRASSO here... It was done quite nicely. (Signed a non fan of mic'd solos)

i enjoyed sitting almost exactly over the tunnel semifinals night listening to phantoms performance, probably my second favorite intro, right after my own of course.

can i say something nice about the fans?

i enjoyed walking around this season after shows, either in uniform walking back to bus or sometimes just being in my jacket, and having many people come out of their way to tell me they enjoyed our show. also the roar of people cheering for what you did.

these things make it all worth it as a performer.

These 2010 corps are a good great group of fellows :smile:

Edited by Slides of Mass Destruction

can i say something nice about the fans?

i enjoyed walking around this season after shows, either in uniform walking back to bus or sometimes just being in my jacket, and having many people come out of their way to tell me they enjoyed our show. also the roar of people cheering for what you did.

these things make it all worth it as a performer.

I'd like to second that one. Not only is it one of my favorite parts of the summer in general, but I felt like I noticed it a lot more this past summer than in 2009. There were a few encore performances we did where the pit sort of played the rest of the corp off the field at the end, which was fun, but also meant that when we didn't pack up fast enough afterwards, we had to stay for retreat. When we did get to leave, it was when all the fans were filing out too, and it seemed like just about every person was stopping to compliment us on our performance. It's a really great feeling, and helps make the long rehearsal days worth it, not to mention the extra fast truck loads we had to do when we got stuck at retreat! :smile:

Edited by CrownStarr