judges

This. The lowest 2010 score listed for World Class on the DCI site is 52.3. Why start out the season already having given up half of the potential "room" for additional scores and more spread? The Blue Devils first score listed is over 75. Were they really 75% of the way to perfection at their first show? Has every champion since 1984 reached more than 95% of the way to perfection? That seems a little hard to believe.

And most of these shows don't even have a completed show, usually being the finale is not yet on the field. So if 1/4 or 25% of the show is missing, shouldn't that mean they start out at 75 points max? Yes, I know this is not the way the shows are judged and it's a build up system, but I am just trying to use common sense logic here. And then, how is it that when they put in the closer the next night, sometimes they might even have a lower score than the night before, when the finale was still missing?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some more troubling common sense logic:

Most people on this forum have either marched in a drum corps, some are staff, or others are friend and family of the marchers. Yet, even these people with all their experience and drum corps knowledge do not understand the judging system.

In sports or athletics, at any given day, any given time any one can beat anyone by capitolizing on thier mistakes and miscues.

But in sports (at least in the ones you referenced in your post) those teams are playing head to head, on the field at the same time. It's not like some guy in Cavies can take advantage of a poorly executed back up move by Bluecoats to slip inside and slam one through the hoop for 2 points.

...its time to see a change in who wins, not preditcability.

But why? Just so folks can get get their rocks off on the idea of a new name on the trophy? Manipulating the system in a way so as to prevent BD or Cadets or [insert name of consistent high-quality championship caliber organization of your choice] from repeating would be grossly unfair, almost unethical. Sorry, I can't buy it.

Of course, I agree with your disclaimer; props to the kids out there at all levels, sweating it out and giving it their best.

Peace, no personal disrespect intended,

Fred O.

you can not dock a corps for what they do not present. granted, an ending that makes little sense may hurt GE scores, but you can only score what you see. you can not base a score on what you think may be coming later on

And most of these shows don't even have a completed show, usually being the finale is not yet on the field. So if 1/4 or 25% of the show is missing, shouldn't that mean they start out at 75 points max? Yes, I know this is not the way the shows are judged and it's a build up system, but I am just trying to use common sense logic here. And then, how is it that when they put in the closer the next night, sometimes they might even have a lower score than the night before, when the finale was still missing?

Depends on what you mean. If, for example, a judge felt that the Blue Devils' show lacked much of the types of sustained and simultaneous demand that every other top hornline demonstrates, while other judges think ten minutes of brief discordant bursts are the greatest thing ever, his marks will probably be lower than those other judges....

If there was a "sustained and simultaneous demand that every horn line MUST display" sheet, it would likely be a different story. I wouldn't count on it any time soon.

you can not dock a corps for what they do not present. granted, an ending that makes little sense may hurt GE scores, but you can only score what you see. you can not base a score on what you think may be coming later on

Shouldn't they be penalized? Why have penalties if they are rarely enforced?

Shouldn't they be penalized? Why have penalties if they are rarely enforced?

Don't tell that to the Blue Knights!

if anything proves how far out of whack the judges are, it is this year's BD show. How can the judges not see the obvious phasing issues with BD's "mirrors?" I mean, they are not real mirrors and when you look at them, everything is so warped and distorted. That certainly cannot be considered clean. :tongue:

Edited by crfrey71

I think that many people would be in favor of more parody.

I always enjoyed both the Bridgemen and VK.

I certainly would be, but never at the expense of the activities integrity.

But in sports (at least in the ones you referenced in your post) those teams are playing head to head, on the field at the same time. It's not like some guy in Cavies can take advantage of a poorly executed back up move by Bluecoats to slip inside and slam one through the hoop for 2 points.

But why? Just so folks can get get their rocks off on the idea of a new name on the trophy? Manipulating the system in a way so as to prevent BD or Cadets or [insert name of consistent high-quality championship caliber organization of your choice] from repeating would be grossly unfair, almost unethical. Sorry, I can't buy it.

Of course, I agree with your disclaimer; props to the kids out there at all levels, sweating it out and giving it their best.

Peace, no personal disrespect intended,

Fred O.

Not almost, absolutely.