Explain the Stories Behind These 2010 Shows

wondering if the closer would feature a mass crucifixion.

That would be "Life of Brian" - I think BD is considering it for next year.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love learning the meaning of words new to me, and didactic is one of those (thanks for that).

But I don't understand its usage here. Doesn't every corps staff take a didactic approach to what the corps is supposed to do?

Really, I'm ignorant. What the heck do you mean here?

well, it was a bit of a misuse (not malaprop) on my part. i just happened to be thinking of Cadets 07/08 when I was typing it, and those shows were kind of trying to teach the audience about the meaning of what it is to do drum corps (07) and what it is to live(08).

but i was talking more about shows where the designers are more interested in teaching the crowd about what their show is about rather than letting them figure it out throught the performance itself.

didactic wasn't the right word.

BD's show is pretty simple to understand if you sit back and actually try to listenand watch, and not ##### about the type of music they play. The mirrors represent lots of things: the past, the future, the present, reflections,negative space, positive space. anything you want to look into through them.

The Opener, Dance before the Mirror is just that: the guard dances before (in front of) the mirrors and is imitated by the hornline as they are revealed coming into the City of Glass. Dissonance builds and gives way to the first "echo" of the show, La Suerte statement. The rest is pure, regular drum corps, just like all the other teams do.

Laura is essentially a dream, the music is very ethereal and transparent and occasionally moments of dissonance are thrown in (foreshadowing the City of Glass being fragile and beginning to crack at early moments in the show). This tune also has several past moments "reflections if you will" in the drums, guard, hornline and visual program. Stuff like El Congo Valiente in the mellos, Legend, Spanish Heart in drums, visual half time movement in the euphoniums, etc. etc. If you know any of BD's past shows and history, it would be hard to miss any of these.

Incident in Jazz is a lighter look into the world of Kenton and Graettinger and is perhaps one of his most "tonal" works for the jazz orchestra. Plus, it harkens to BD's choice of jazz style as their claim to fame and brings back some old "park and bark" type moments.

Reflections takes us into perhaps the most experimental section of the show and begins to show more cracks in the City of Glass and the descent into total dissonance, while still maintaining a clear form to the music. The City of Glass smashes near the end (guard with poles, scatter drill, trumpet soloist behind the dissonant melodies) and we have a brief return to tonality with the strains once more of Laura , as well as a clear arc form to signify structure once more and the show ends full steam, typical fast and furious drum corps.

See, and that was totally off the cuff. It's not really that hard if you just try to enjoy and think in a different manner occasionally. :worthy: Other than the musical choices, I donlt think the concept is that "out" at all. It's as easy as 1-2-3.. Well maybe just 1.... :worthy:

Edited by trumpetcam

BD's show is pretty simple to understand if you sit back and actually try to listenand watch, and not ##### about the type of music they play. The mirrors represent lots of things: the past, the future, the present, reflections,negative space, positive space. anything you want to look into through them.

The Opener, Dance before the Mirror is just that: the guard dances before (in front of) the mirrors and is imitated by the hornline as they are revealed coming into the City of Glass. Dissonance builds and gives way to the first "echo" of the show, La Suerte statement. The rest is pure, regular drum corps, just like all the other teams do.

Laura is essentially a dream, the music is very ethereal and transparent and occasionally moments of dissonance are thrown in (foreshadowing the City of Glass being fragile and beginning to crack at early moments in the show). This tune also has several past moments "reflections if you will" in the drums, guard, hornline and visual program. Stuff like El Congo Valiente in the mellos, Legend, Spanish Heart in drums, visual half time movement in the euphoniums, etc. etc. If you know any of BD's past shows and history, it would be hard to miss any of these.

Incident in Jazz is a lighter look into the world of Kenton and Graettinger and is perhaps one of his most "tonal" works for the jazz orchestra. Plus, it harkens to BD's choice of jazz style as their claim to fame and brings back some old "park and bark" type moments.

Reflections takes us into perhaps the most experimental section of the show and begins to show more cracks in the City of Glass and the descent into total dissonance, while still maintaining a clear form to the music. The City of Glass smashes near the end (guard with poles, scatter drill, trumpet soloist behind the dissonant melodies) and we have a brief return to tonality with the strains once more of Laura , as well as a clear arc form to signify structure once more and the show ends full steam, typical fast and furious drum corps.

See, and that was totally off the cuff. It's not really that hard if you just try to enjoy and think in a different manner occasionally. :worthy: Other than the musical choices, I donlt think the concept is that "out" at all. It's as easy as 1-2-3.. Well maybe just 1.... :worthy:

BEEGAWK!!!! WHA!?????

HAHAHA!!

To be fair, I have owned the City of Glass since college and know the liner notes inside and out. BD just took a few of Kenton's musical concepts and thoughts and put them into an audio/visual package for drum corps. That's all... Luckily, BD's arrangements are "way" more tonal and musical than the original. It could not be put on a field in its true form, no way no how.

See, and that was totally off the cuff. It's not really that hard if you just try to enjoy and think in a different manner occasionally. :cool: Other than the musical choices, I donlt think the concept is that "out" at all. It's as easy as 1-2-3.. Well maybe just 1.... :tongue:

That is exactly my interpretation upon first viewing them, then I went back to doing some fun calculus problems before the psych ward locked me in for the night. So what your saying is a newcomer to DCI would have NOOOOOO clue to what BD is trying to do?

I finally figured out Regiments show this year and it's not what people think

It's a parable, a warning about blind allegiance that can destroy a society

From the copy-cat nature of DCI to engaging in unnecessary wars that ultimately destroy what they created and loved

it's also anti G-7, ironic, I know but I'm not sure they know. It was written subconsciously, it is their internal instinct against their ego. It is their struggle about the entire G-7 issue. I hope they listen to their show

It's foraging theory but when the wrong choice is made

It's about bad leadership and told through the world of bugs

Think of beehive

The orange dude is the queen and he is oddly drawn towards the light. His arrogance and status allow him to act impulsively, and often irrationally because as their leader, his actions are unchecked and unrestrained. He is the first to go towards the light (as seen by his starting position for the show) and beckons the rest of the corp to follow.

The guards are the drones. The ones that protect the queen and build the hive, that's why they are the only other ones on the field (hive) at the start.

The corps proper are the workers, returning from a pollen foraging trip. Their natural instinct is to avoid the light, to resist change and risk while protecting and building the hive (again, the field). The brunt of the show is their queen exerting it's leadership over the corps or worker bees and drones and the conflicts that creates with in their society. Finally the worker bees and the drones are convinced to follow their queen towards the light and then they disappear off the field and out of the hive

The light was not some sort of Eden, it was a big bug zapper

poof

gone

Edited by cowtown

That is exactly my interpretation upon first viewing them, then I went back to doing some fun calculus problems before the psych ward locked me in for the night. So what your saying is a newcomer to DCI would have NOOOOOO clue to what BD is trying to do?

Not exactly. I mean, I don't need to know the music of every corps to like the show. If I didn't know much about it, I would probably go listen and see if I can figure it out. Some people want it spelled out for you and to just sit there and not think. I enjoy actually thinking and its why the GE caption exists. A healthy balance of emotional, intellectual and aesthetic. That way, everyone gets a little of something as BD has it all. If you don't get emotional from the show, that's a personal issue, not design.

I think this generation needs everything handed to them and not have to do much thinking for themselves. If you go to DCI for long musical phrases and to listen to happy music, you will not like this year's offering by BD. It's way too sophisticated for that. No other simple way to put it. Only the fans that think and enjoy being challenged on an intellectual level will be able to get the big picture.

Last time I checked, the judges seem to get it, so I can assume BD is more than happy with that result. I'm also sure the kids marching are happy with the result too! It's like an Indie film festival: if you love movies like Avatar or Titanic , you probably won't dig stuff that's not over the top and requires a deeper level of watching and listening. It's the difference between observers and thinkers. Some people work at McDonald's, some are lawyers and scientists. We need all, but when you throw them in together at a football game, you get what you get. DCI is really no different.

Some will love Crown, some will love BD, some will love SCV, some will love Cadets. All for different reasons, given how they think and what motivates them as individuals. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing, huh? :tongue:

Edited by trumpetcam

Not exactly. I mean, I don't need to know the music of every corps to like the show. If I didn't know much about it, I would probably go listen and see if I can figure it out. Some people want it spelled out for you and to just sit there and not think. I enjoy actually thinking and its why the GE caption exists. A healthy balance of emotional, intellectual and aesthetic. That way, everyone gets a little of something as BD has it all. If you don't get emotional from the show, that's a personal issue, not design.

I think this generation needs everything handed to them and not have to do much thinking for themselves. If you go to DCI for long musical phrases and to listen to happy music, you will not like this year's offering by BD. It's way too sophisticated for that. No other simple way to put it. Only the fans that think and enjoy being challenged on an intellectual level will be able to get the big picture.

Last time I checked, the judges seem to get it, so I can assume BD is more than happy with that result. I'm also sure the kids marching are happy with the result too! It's like an Indie film festival: if you love movies like Avatar or Titanic , you probably won't dig stuff that's not over the top and requires a deeper level of watching and listening. It's the difference between observers and thinkers. Some people work at McDonald's, some are lawyers and scientists. We need all, but when you throw them in together at a football game, you get what you get. DCI is really no different.

Some will love Crown, some will love BD, some will love SCV, some will love Cadets. All for different reasons, given how they think and what motivates them as individuals. Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing, huh? :tongue:

I was actually being rudely sarcastic. Your point about the judges seeming to get it, is part of the greater problem. judges are usually music instructors at college level, so they better get it. Unfortunatly John Q Public just wants to be entertained without having to think. No doubt BD has the game figured out, and the judges reward them for it, but at what cost?

I finally figured out Regiments show this year and it's not what people think

It's a parable, a warning about blind allegiance that can destroy a society

From the copy-cat nature of DCI to engaging in unnecessary wars that ultimately destroy what they created and loved

it's also anti G-7, ironic, I know but I'm not sure they know. It was written subconsciously, it is their internal instinct against their ego. It is their struggle about the entire G-7 issue. I hope they listen to their show

It's foraging theory but when the wrong choice is made

It's about bad leadership and told through the world of bugs

Think of beehive

The orange dude is the queen and he is oddly drawn towards the light. His arrogance and status allow him to act impulsively, and often irrationally because as their leader, his actions are unchecked and unrestrained. He is the first to go towards the light (as seen by his starting position for the show) and beckons the rest of the corp to follow.

The guards are the drones. The ones that protect the queen and build the hive, that's why they are the only other ones on the field (hive) at the start.

The corps proper are the workers, returning from a pollen foraging trip. Their natural instinct is to avoid the light, to resist change and risk while protecting and building the hive (again, the field). The brunt of the show is their queen exerting it's leadership over the corps or worker bees and drones and the conflicts that creates with in their society. Finally the worker bees and the drones are convinced to follow their queen towards the light and then they disappear off the field and out of the hive

The light was not some sort of Eden, it was a big bug zapper

poof

gone

Funny.

I agree with all of it except this part.