All you band bashers out there..

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, some people can be ignorant about bashing HS Bands. I can point to lazy kids who know it all ("My Band in South Carolina got a 94!" If you saw this kid hold his mellophone and waddle around the field, you wonder how this band got a SIXTY FOUR!) or who are in their band dragging the whole thing down because their parents make them or its purely social. Those things can and do drive me crazy, but I deal with it as best I can and understand it's the nature of the animal. More good is out there than the negative, like working with a Down's Syndrome student for the last two years that made a strong contribution to his band in the Front Ensemble- never put a note out of place and was a real asset to the program and to his peers. You can't put a price on being part of that end of the activity in that way.

The fact is most posts that bash it tend to broad-brush the other direction that all band is evil... and no, it's not, LOL. Those posts are made by cretins and aren't not worth dignifying or feedin' that troll. This guy seems to be really freaked- something's getting to him, I figured a friendly intervention and adjusting some attitude might save him from jumping out of the corps bus on the way to a show or something....

My band experience has been just the opposite very DCi ish NEVER had to deal with parents...it wasnt allowed and if a kid was dragging their feeet there was another to take their place....maybe I was just lucky because I do hear nightmare stories that I never experienced in all my years. I guess like I said maybe lucky.

I was a band geek...

I like watching drum corps....

I don't like watching marching band...

it's pretty much that simple.

QFT

I teach at a good number of marching bands for fun. The money only pays for my gas and food. I do it because I love the activity and want to see more kids in corps. However, I will never be driving in my car and pop in a marching band CD :unhappy:

I each band has its supporters, they sceam and yell for the show and then leave the stands or talk through all of the other perfromances. my two cents

This has been discussed on other threads, it's a real detriment to that end of the acitivty and has been around for decades. Some parents treat their kids as gladiators, for instance complaining bittterly when a championship show was held indoors because of a combination of snow, ice, below-freezing temps before the wind gusts and fifty MPH+ wind gusts that knocked over large peices of stadium equipment.

If there's anything worth bashing, it's that issue. It'd be nice to see good and great performances of those kids rewarded by the entire crowd, not just the parent patch and their freakin' cowbells.

Not to beat my own drum, but my Im a sec ldr at my HS: Defending state champs, 09 season was undeafeted in two states, we score upper 90s at contests, around 160 people and beat someone twice our size, and well over half of us are Corps fans, but only between say 5-20 plan on marching corps. show this year is supposed to be a little under 8 minutes (at full tempo) long and we're gonna have between 90 & 100 drill sets total, half of our show this year is basically jazz running :unhappy: may even top well over 200 in the closer who knows?

So what exactly is the issue?

Serious question.

If all of this bashing is really about college-style bands and not highly competitive high school groups, go for it! :unhappy:

Those two are more different than BOA is from DCI.

Edited by jetman1287

Not to beat my own drum, but my Im a sec ldr at my HS: Defending state champs, 09 season was undeafeted in two states, we score upper 90s at contests, around 160 people and beat someone twice our size, and well over half of us are Corps fans, but only between say 5-20 plan on marching corps. show this year is supposed to be a little under 8 minutes (at full tempo) long and we're gonna have between 90 & 100 drill sets total, half of our show this year is basically jazz running :unhappy: may even top well over 200 in the closer who knows?

cool_story_bro.jpg

Many people on this board need to take a deep breath, exhale and say Namaste. Are your chakras in alignment? Can you see your third eye-if not work on that!

Now don't you feel better?

Relax, enjoy your summer, your health, your family, your friends, your significant other and say to yourself, "Life is Good".

Believe in the Power of Now.

Thank you so much.

Many people on this board need to take a deep breath, exhale and say Namaste. Are your chakras in alignment? Can you see your third eye-if not work on that!

Now don't you feel better?

Relax, enjoy your summer, your health, your family, your friends, your significant other and say to yourself, "Life is Good".

Believe in the Power of Now.

Thank you so much.

lmao...youre right..its not like were talking world affairs here.....its BAND,,,DRUM CORPS