When are corps going to come back to their roots?

really, the only "old pharts" that aren't respected by members these days are the ones who do nothing but complain about how awful everything is now and how great and PERFECT things were in THEIR day...

most drum corps do a GREAT job of respecting their elders, even if the "old pharts" didn't march in that particular corps... obviously, it depends on how much the staff instills this sense of respect into the members, and i, for one, am glad to have been part of a corps that got taught that sense of respect for the past

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I feel nothing less than admiration and connection between us oldtimers and the current MM of my corps. Those things go both ways, by the way.

THAT feeling is something I see sadly lacking among some of the oldtimers on DCP when talking about the current corps activity.

Okay, so what you're saying is that there actually still is that respect towards Alimni amongst current marching members. I've been away from the activity for a few years now. I'm wondering if that lack of respect is just in this forum.

the "lack of respect" is really just opposing factions fighting each other on the internet...

Do you ever get bothered by the way the corps do things, because the judges say: "It should be done this way"

EXAMPLE: For the last 15 years or so, ALL CORPS changed their uniforms because, the uniform should enhance where the sound is coming from. So ALL THE CORPS changed their style and history because of a few judges..

EXAMPLE: You cant wear spats, you cant wear white shoes, it will expose the marching errors, and detract from where the sounds come from!

EXAMPLE: You cant do any sensational marching effects during the show, because it has to "flow with the music. it has to enhance each phrase."

EXAMPLE: Why is there a Color pre in the middle of your show? etc....

DRUM CORPS HAVE COME A LONG WAY for the POSITIVE!...But when i watch MADISON SCOUTS, and hear their traditional music, i miss seeing their spats!

When i see SANTA CLARA VANGUARD, I miss seeing their full red jackets, that go down past their waist, plus their white shoes.

When i see TROOPERS, i miss seeing their Traditional Trooper uniform. Their Uniforms must enhance their show. If they were Trooper uniforms it wont go with the music!

NONSENSE TO ALL THIS!

JUST DO IT, BECAUSE IT IS DRUM CORPS,and SCREW ALL THE JUDGES and the UNIFORM COMPANIES that want to make a BUCK!

Uniform=sound?

Spats are stupid. There I said it. I marched with them for three years in a college band and while they looked fine with the uniform, they felt out of place and something was constantly coming off of them.

If anything, an outstanding visual effect would compliment an outstanding musical moment. I suggest actually watching more than two minutes of a modern show.

I have to admit, I had heard the term "color pre", but didn't fully understand what it was until reading through this thread. After I learned what it was, I can't possibly imagine how any modern drum corps could fit a color pre into a show without it looking out of place. You brought out the American flag. Now what? I see like ten American flags before I leave my own neighborhood including the one hanging by my front door. American flags are everywhere. We have become oversaturated with American flags over the past nine years.

Long coats? Have you seen the shows they do today? It would never work! There was nothing wrong with the look, but today's body movements just need a different cut of uniform.

1970's and 1980's drum corps was great for the 1970's and 1980's, but that style of drum corps would go over as well today as a Model T on an interstate. Things change. Shows like "I Love Lucy" and the music of Elvis would be eaten alive by today's society if they were to be pushed as a fresh new idea and the same goes for drum corps. Things have to change to stay current and keep interest of the next generation of followers in mind just as much as those who have followed/participated for decades now. However, you cannot appeal to just one demographic because that would totally turn another away.

Okay, so what you're saying is that there actually still is that respect towards Alimni amongst current marching members. I've been away from the activity for a few years now. I'm wondering if that lack of respect is just in this forum.

From my experiences, the hate is just on this forum, but I obviously don't speak for everyone.

From my experience it seems like the level of vitriol is much higher here than in any in-person setting I have seen. I guess that is natural, sad to say. Many people act much freer in the relative anonymity of the web versus face-to-face.

Personally, I wish those people would write as if they were speaking directly to the person they are responding to.

And for what it is worth, DCP is much better than the RAMD Usenet group in terms of language and attitude, for the most part...but IMO it still has a ways to go....your taking away the opinion you have is indicative of that.

DCP is but a small slice of the pie; don't think of it as the entire thing!

I think respect is something earned. Olde -er folks comment on here all the time how this drum corps of today is all but an abomination to the tyme when they marched which can be ###### disrespectful to the current members and staff who are still living and loving drum corps. DCI gets no respect from some of these olde -er posters as DCI evidently destroyed drum corps. So, when dismissively disrespectful happens, it's tough to return with respect.

Make sense?

the "lack of respect" is really just opposing factions fighting each other on the internet...

Why fight about personal opinions? If somebody doesn't like "whatever" about the activity, why should anyone else really want to "fight" about it? I just don't get it...help me understand why people fight on here, please.

Why fight about personal opinions? If somebody doesn't like "whatever" about the activity, why should anyone else really want to "fight" about it? I just don't get it...help me understand why people fight on here, please.

trust me, i don't understand it either... but, if u look around at our country (ESPECIALLY in politics) u have a really similar situation: both sides do nothing but insult and complain bitterly about the other... it's just the American way, apparently

Because somebody has to be the first to be wrong. Then we all get to follow and be wrong in our own special little way. :worthy: